Understanding the Civ2 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding the Civ2 engine

I was amazed when I read about Oedo years. It seemed that this encouraged a burst of reasearch and that various myths and such were brought down. I've been away for a while, so what are the recent advances in understanding the engine?

We know trade now? And research lists? What is left to learn?

And how do the Civ2 designers feel about us figuring out their engine? And finding ways to play over them? Would love to see an interview with one of them.

GP, is it you?

You can see at least civ respawn is not clear.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Why must you ask such obvious questions?

(Getting you back for something...)

Comment

As a fellow recent re-visitor, I empathise. Solo has almost single-handedly summarised the major insights (much fine research done by samson).

I haven't checked Paul's site recently, but I'd gather there's room for some expansion to the OCC canon to accommodate the recent findings .

Comment

Welcome back, guys

Stu
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Well the CTP code was released - is there even the smallest chance that the Civ 2 code will be put into the public domain? They can hardly be making any money out of Civ 2 any more because no-one wants to buy the guides and everyone who wants the game in one form or another can get it on Ebay or the games shop bargain basement for around a fiver.
            The scenario community would love to be able to access the code and it can clearly be seen that the online Civ 2 community is still very keen on this seven year old game.

Comment

Re: Understanding the Civ2 engine

Originally posted by TCO
              What is left to learn?
              Early in the game, the barbs are your biggest opponents and having a city destroyed early on can be a devastating blow (in MP anyway) Or losing that warrior that is now 20 square from your capital.

WHY do the barbs sometimes show pity.
              Two examples.
              One, you open a hut and release a barb. On rare occasions the barb will move off without attacking or just dissappears.
              Two, Those barb archers/chariots appear close to one of your cities(lightly defended) move up to a couple squares away, then break off the attack. (this happens more frequently than example one.

WHY WHY WHY. I'll waste my money to rush that phalanx in hopes of maybe surviving and then they never attack, but they usually do.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Samson wrote the definitive Bonus Payment thread. Has anyone written an accompanying Trade Route thread, with formulas and precedence order of multipliers? There was some debate a while ago about Airports, and some frustration with lower domestic routes replacing higher AI routes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
                  Has anyone written an accompanying Trade Route thread, with formulas and precedence order of multipliers? There was some debate a while ago about Airports, and some frustration with lower domestic routes replacing higher AI routes.
                  I thought the fairly detailed summary in solo's guide (sticky thread) provides a fine starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                    Welcome back, guys

Stu
                    Thanks, Stu.

We owe it to the Liverpudlians for their dedication to the Civ2 cause and the curatorship of the Great Library

Comment

Originally posted by tonic

I thought the fairly detailed summary in solo's guide (sticky thread) provides a fine starting point.
                      I was just pointing out that the "definitive" post on this was not yet written; we have the generalities, but no one has done the exhaustive formula checking like Samson did with Delivery Bonuses.

Comment

(Warning: I have cross-posted this on the A is for Alphabet topic in case some people only read certain topics.)

I have recently been making a lot of attempts at early landing. I use 2.42, playing the English, deity, raging hoards, medium map. For early landing, I need a start without techs. My experience has been that no tech starts are not very common (less than 1 in 5?) Would I be more likely to get a no tech start if I bit the bullet and played as the Romans?

Also, despite a number of comments in this thread, my experience has been that the no tech starting positions are worse than those with initial techs. I have had quite a few very good initial positions that I couldn't use because of the starting techs whereas most of the ones I can use seem to have a lot of tundra around. It seems to me that the tech alocation algorithm is rather complicated. Any suggestions as to how I can increase the chances of a good, no tech start?

RJM at Sleeper's
                        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

(Why) has Microprose never released the source code?

Comment

Why should they. They own it. Do you give away stuff that you own?

Comment

No, but they could do it just for fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X