Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Maximize Trade Between Two Cities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Maximize Trade Between Two Cities?

In an actual MP-Game with 3AI I want to get more cash out of a trade route. But I don't know for sure what factors give me more cash.

M my Capitol with Collossus size 7 (Mona)
    L \
    L \ Land
    L /
    L /
    O \
    O \ Ocean
    O /
    O /
    A AI-Capitol size 4 (Despo)

I thought about offering them Monarchy, but I think their Capitol should have no Corruption so they don't really need it. I read Marketplace gives more cash but when I tried it in SP-Cheatmode the Caravan-outcome stays the same Then I cheated their size to 30 but still no change
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    only after the last fish has been caught,
    only after the last river has been poisoned,
    only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten."

Give them Monarchy. Despotism reduces the resources of specials. (If they have a Whale in their city limits they will lose a trade arrow.) Then research Republic and make it a further gift, whilst going Republic yourself. Grow your capital using celebrations. Don't forget to max out trade in your city before making deliveries.

--------------------

SG(2)
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yeah, I know these facts, but I'm on another tech-path atmo...The AI-Capitol has no Specials so Monarchy wont help me - but what about Marketplace for example?
      "Only after the last tree has been cut down,
      only after the last fish has been caught,
      only after the last river has been poisoned,
      only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten."

Comment

A MarketPlace only increases Gold and Luxuries. The only city improvement that directly boosts trade is Superhighways and I guess that's some way off.

-------------------

SG(2)

Comment

A little unclear what you are trying to increase: the bonus payment from caravan delivery or the ongoing trade route arrows?

The AI city is on another continent/island, right?

Have you checked the threads in the Great Library about Trade, especially Samson's excellent Calculating Caravan and Freight Delivery Payments? The basics are the number of trade arrows in each city, but things like distance apart, whether the commodity is in demand, tech "age" and key improvements can change the bonus payment modifiers. Monarchy gives a few more trade arrows in a city working trade specials, but the AI often overlooks trade specials in favor of food and shields. Republic is a big boost, if the AI can keep out of disorder. I usually figure on only one trade arrow per citizen in AI cities. Try to maximize the number of trade arrows in your city (just before you deliver the caravan, switch all your workers to the highest-trade tiles, then switch them back after delivery). Adding extra citizens, even if they have to switch to entertainers to keep out of disorder, can pay off because you can switch them to work trade tiles during the delivery and switch back to entertainers afterwards. Make sure you have roaded any trade specials as well.

If you are going for a bigger delivery bonus payment, consider another city further away, even if it is smaller.

Comment

Definitely.

Only 9 tiles away, that won't get much of a delivery bonus. If he's Despo and you're only Mon then the city sizes aren't much either. Even a tiny city double that distance away will have a much higher demand bonus.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Hey guys - you missed a trick --- Get your Monarchy capital CELEBRATING it will then enjoy Republic trade and so your deliveries and on-going trade benefits will increase accordingly!

SG[1]

Comment

Gits must be sober
                The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Hydey - it sometimes happens
                  Stray - what's the 'Tabemono' Civ Group - love the avatar (hic)?

SG[1]

Comment

Presently, I'm working on an in-depth analysis of trade routes, and what determines the amount of arrows garnered during different situations. The very little information out there is incorrect, including the official strategy manual.
                    No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Be sure to share it when you're done.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sir yes sir!

Comment

Samson at one point said he was working on that too, but I never saw a result posting. Start with his Delivery Bonus thread and test the different parts he listed. There may be a special condition on Airports, as they do not seem to change things if they are domestic and on the same continent. It might have to do with having SuperHighways in the same city too.

I have also noticed that a lower-valued domestic route will occasionally bump a higher-valued foreign route, so I suspect that the "top 3" decision is based on raw number of trade arrows in both cities BEFORE the multipliers are factored in.

Comment

Okay, here's a sneak peak.

Continent's don't effect trade routes; that's right, it doesn't matter if they are on the same continent or not. Distance doesn't matter either.

The only trade-route penalty pertains to trade routes between cities of the same civ.

Airports add 50% (to the base) if they are present in both cities.

Superhighways are like the way Samson described them in his bonus post (they can effectively double the trade route). They increase base trade, and then increase trade route by another 50%.

It does not matter whether a caravan or freight initiates the route.

There is one odd anomaly that I've noticed, but you'll have to wait for that.

I've got all the math worked out. I'm simply working on an eloquent presentation.

Comment

Were the dividing oceans created or removed with the cheat menu? I believe I've read somewhere that this kind of changes doesn't affect the game's understanding of continental status, but I'm not sure...

Comment

Working...
                              X