Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you mislead the AI into the wrong wonder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you mislead the AI into the wrong wonder?

I like to build many wonders. It seems that whenever I start one, the AI starts the same wonder or researches the requisite tech. If I have a choice, I start building a wonder that I am less interested in, planning to convert later. Is this wishful thinking, or is such misdirection effective?

In my experience, midirection of that type is not effective. I don't think the AI gives a crap what you're building. The only way to screw them is to build the one they're building. Sometimes they get a 200 shield phalanx. Sometimes they switch to a less useful wonder. Attacking the city that they're building one in will sometimes discourage them also. A 150 shield phalanx.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Dont start building a wonder until you've got enough caravans to to finish it right away. Dont give them the chance to get in the game. Get the tech and build the wonder on the next turn. All it takes is planning.

Comment

Re: can you mislead the AI into the wrong wonder?

Originally posted by geofelt
        It seems that whenever I start one, the AI starts the same wonder or researches the requisite tech.
        If you play with 6 other civs the chances are that this must happen.

I don't think you can fool the AI about wonders because it is already confused At Deity Level the AI emphasis is still on building the Pyramids ... not the Gardens.

The AI seldom begins to think about wonders until after 1000BC so there should be ample time to complete two or three before anyone else. (This assumes the tech targets of Monarchy > Trade > wonder techs like Pottery)

--------------------

SG(2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

You're giving the AI too much credit... you are assuming that they actually use some strategy

Once an AI gets into the Wonder Building stage... they will attempt to build any wonder they have the tech for... not strategy what so ever
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
            You're giving the AI too much credit... you are assuming that they actually use some strategy
            No not quite There is a basic AI strategy in the game which centres on population growth/food so the emphasis is on the Pyramids for the first wonder if an AI has Masonry. Trade never enters into the mind of the AI ... as all seasoned players know it irrigates trade specials to harvest more food.

It's a pity that this attitude is carried through to the game's scoring system. If you land a spaceship in OCC around 1600AD your score is low compared with a massive empire played into the 21st Century. But then you and rah know all about that from duels of yesteryear....

---------------------

SG(2)
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yes, the AI is all about growth which makes Pyramids the early option. The AI also pretty much ignores the Happy wonders since they don't have as much happy issues as humans. (at least at deity level).
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

which is counterproductive to taking the pyramids and having their cities in revolt all the time
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

But since their revolts don't cause their government to collapse and they're playing with smaller food and production boxs and requiring fewer beakers, it really doesn't seem to bother them. The only seemingly advantage is it offer more opportunities to bribe their cities cheaper.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think the AI is programmed to give you a good game and stay close. If I don't try to build any wonders, the AI doesn't build many either, If my tech rate is low, the AI doesn't seem to work as hard either. Is it just a coincidence that the AI starts the same wonder as me, even though it could start something more useful? I suspect not, but I don't know how to prove it.

Comment

The keeping your tech rate low thing has been verified before. Sorry no link.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If you start HG or COL, the AI may start PYR instead. I think there is a prioritization list for wonders, with PYR at the top, followed by GL. The AI obviously will not start something without having the tech, so their civ/mil research preferences will somewhat influence what they can start. Rarely will they finish one that is already obsolete.

Yes, the AI does seem to copycat your Science rate settings. The killer weapon you have is caravans: they have almost no ability to trade. See the "No Science No Problem" succession game.

Comment

Working...
                        X