Early Landing Comparison Game #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurray for Marco Polo!

Another benefit of MPE is that other civs will trade maps with only Cordial attitudes, assuming no prior Enraged mishaps.

I currently dont go for PolyTheism to get Mikes, I build Oracle ASAP and let the other civs research MT, then I trade for or steal it and build MC in one turn. If I am not researching MT Oracle lasts much longer.

I second ST's appreciation for the cooperative nature of the EL games. I was weeks behind on EL#1-3, and never finished #4 (although it was going pretty well). Two week-long absences this month have kept me away from #5, but I was hoping to catch up later. Will there be a #6?

Comment

Elephant, I think ELG #5 wants more finished games
      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by solo
        Your sudden appearance on these forums and the brilliance of your play have sometimes made me wonder whether or not Samson had returned under an elaborate disguise! If so, don't worry, the secret is safe with me!
        ...safe with me too
        (I am so keen on vet spies that I would love to meet samson so disguised)
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

BTW I just come to remember that Samson is a very fine name, because Samson who was so small managed to beat Goliath who was so big; but Zenon also is a very fine name because Zénon d'Elée was the guy who demonstrated that the arrow never catches the flying bird.
          ' The arrow flies so much faster than the bird that, every second, the distance between the arrow and the bird is halved, ... and this is precisely why the arrow never catches the bird'

...and this is precisely why I know that La Fayette never catches either Samson or Zenon in early landing .

Comment

...or solo, or the Monk, or SG(2) for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette
              BTW I just come to remember that Samson is a very fine name, because Samson who was so small managed to beat Goliath who was so big;
              Hmm, your mixing Samson with David, La Fayette...

Samson was the guy who had all his strength in his hair, and his wife (Dalila) betrayed him, cut his hair and left him to his enmies...
              Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

First Samuel 17: It was David who defeated Goliath. Samson freed the Israelites from the Philistines for a time, but then Delilah tricked him into revealing his weakness and he was captured, blinded and imprisoned. He came back in a last farewell, though - he destroyed the Philistine temple with many rulers inside, pulling it down on himself (Judges 13-16).

Comment

@ La Fayette
                  La Fayette says to himself "you have mixed up samson and david; hurry up and edit your post"
                  ... but there are already 2 posts correcting the mistake
                  At least, I hope I haven't mixed Zénon d'Elée with anyone else and the arrow is still flying

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette
                    At least, I hope I haven't mixed Zénon d'Elée with anyone else and the arrow is still flying
                    Your Lordship,

it is confirmed. Zeno of Elea also described a paradoxon about Achilles and the tortoise: In a race in which the tortoise has a head start, the swifter-running Achilles can never overtake the tortoise. Before he comes up to the point at which the tortoise started, the tortoise will have got a little way, and so on ad infinitum.

The comparison with Achilles seems much more charming.

D´ailleurs, il y a encore au moins deux philosophes et quelques autres de ce nom.

Zenon

Comment

Originally posted by Zenon
                      The comparison with Achilles seems much more charming.
                      Zenon
                      I agree, but the story has already been told in French by Jean de la Fontaine (in a poetry the title of which, freely translated, is 'the hare and the tortoise'):

"...rien ne sert de courir
                      Il faut partir à point."

That's why I modified it freely to 'the arrow and the bird'

Please, forgive me

Comment

Working...
                      X