WLTCD but no city growth??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WLTCD but no city growth??

So here i am in Rep with a size 12 city going along nicely in a OCC game....

I have Shakes and a Sewer and just sold my Colosseum and Temple, food surplus of 1. My luxuries are set at 30% and my pop attitude is 6 happy 6 content. No Problem. I Celebrate...or so the computer says but no city growth?? next turn still nothing.....

Why? Seems to make no sense or is this some bug i aint seen yet that may have to do with my particular city setup?

Eagerly awaiting responses so I may continue my quest
    Last edited by Paradox; May 1, 2003, 14:18.
    "Some people are alive, simply because its against the law to kill them"

"Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought"

Are you supporting more than one unit outside of the city causing extra unhappiness? If so, this could prevent growth by making the first citizen unhappy.

Comment

No on the contrary i only have 2 units in my city...a NONE archer and a supported warrior.

Whats more confusing is the the fact that according to Pauls OCC guide
      "...Once Shakespeare’s is built, you are guaranteed a city of content citizens for the rest of the game. As a result, the temple and the colosseum are no longer needed. Sell these off. This will help you buy a sewer system, which is the next thing you need to build. Bump the luxuries back up to begin WLTCD. With a sewer system, you can go to size 21. You may have food to support more people, but under a Republic without Hanging Gardens, size 21 is the max you can grow using WLTCD. "

Now i did exactly that, sold my col, temple and aqua since i needed the gold badly....but NO growth even tho i have a sewer. Odd?

Ive tested by playing a few turns ahead and building both the col+aqua again and indeed now the city grows!
      But why wont it grow without these....surely Shakes takes care of happiness and sewer is all that is required to move past 12 citizens????

I think i may still have needed the aquaduct!
      Last edited by Paradox; May 1, 2003, 15:52.

"Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought"

Comment

Yes: any growth beyond 8 requires Aquaduct; any growth beyond 12 requires Aquaduct AND Sewers. When you get to 21 dont sell them off: you can usually get into the mid 20s in a last burst after you switch to Democracy and have finished transforming the land with Engineers. Sometimes I also do another round after Farmland/Refrigeration.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox
          I think i may still have needed the aquaduct!
          Bingo!
          Don't sell it too soon
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

The missing aqueduct answers this question, but remember that even with Shakepeare's growth can be stopped if that first citizen does not start out as being content. This is not usually problem in OCC unless a lot of units outside of the city are being supported by it.

Comment

hehe....just the other day (well a month ago now) i learned that even with one food extra you can grow, all these years in mp i was shifting to make the two extra food...and often not getting the growth b/c i wasn't using the right squares....

i felt dumb
              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Warz - we are surprised at you!!!

The SGs well sloshed
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                  hehe....just the other day (well a month ago now) i learned that even with one food extra you can grow, all these years in mp i was shifting to make the two extra food...and often not getting the growth b/c i wasn't using the right squares....

i felt dumb

Amusing that such an experienced civver should take 5 years to work this out.

I remember I went through a similar experience a few years back. I was pop-booming in a SMAC game just after it came out, when someone said "yeah, and you need 2 food, not like in civ2". Hmm, I thought, I'd better check that out............

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever

i felt dumb
                    Would you mind explaining for the uninformed pls....

My understanding and experience so far has shown no growth unless you have 2 food surplus at least with WLT*D . I presume your'e referring to SP mode or does this apply to MP only?

Comment

Nah try it out in save where you have wltcd (I can find one if you don't have one), as long as you have enough happy people you only need 1 food.

Comment

spike has it right, its too hard to explain on the net...but you only need one food...haha , even old civers learn new tricks
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                          Nah try it out in save where you have wltcd (I can find one if you don't have one), as long as you have enough happy people you only need 1 food.
                          But it can have the side effect that if there are no more food squares available the additional person means that city has a food deficit and starts consuming its stored food.

RJM at Sleepers
                          Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

... perhaps that's one reason why the game allows Food Freights

-------------------------

SG(2)
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

But it can have the side effect that if there are no more food squares available the additional person means that city has a food deficit and starts consuming its stored food.

RJM at Sleepers
                              Can't say that's ever happened to me.........though I guess its possible. Back in the day the SMACists used to argue that it was wrong to boom with 1 food.......and they had some convincing arguments. From my point of view anything that makes such a powerful force a little trickier is probably good. But in SMAC of course you could (with most factions) boom using SE and a coupla buildings.......you didn't even need to play with luxuries, though that did work as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X