No announcement yet.

Early Landing Comparison Game #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, this game by RJM deserves some kind of award! Well done!

As for selling palaces, seeing is believing. I tired and they are not for sale.

Comment

I’ve continued my large map game and was able to launch in 1060 with an ETA of 1075 AD. This set up was more suitable to early landing attempts than the one in the previous game.

I used the SSC site at (48,88), which I thought had better trade specials and commodities to work with, and when a road and rail connection was established with Ur, a Babylonian city to the north, the SSC became a real powerhouse, affording many opportunities for two advances per turn later in the game. Ur, itself, developed into a size 12 city and I used an engineer to help road its tiles, to maximize its trade. The early trade routes established between my SSC and Ur were so strong that they remained in place the entire game. This simplified SSC trade later, since it could trade freely with all other cities without blocking the demand of any commodities. Only wonder bread was needed to keep the SSC supplies unblocked.

I used early Monarchy again in this game, but did not go for the Hanging Gardens this time. Instead, I switched to Republic a little earlier to get the most out of the first large group of caravans sent out for trade. SSC growth and development was postponed a bit to conduct more trade, before delivery bonuses were cut by the arrival of the Renaissance. This worked out very well. The Celts were a good trading partner early on, and later I was able to concentrate more on SSC trade with colonies located at a similar distance having complementary supplies and demands. Once freights were available, colony trade became quite profitable, since colonies were much easier to reach in one turn than most of the AI cities.

Most of the AI did well during this game and even gave me some competition, in two races to complete the Colossus and Copernicus wonders. The AI acquired more techs than in the usual game, too. I was able to trade for a few that they had tipped from huts. On large map games, which have more space and many more huts, it makes more sense to gift almost all of the techs to each AI once they cross the 20 tech level, to increase the chances of new techs from the huts they tip afterwards.

During this game I discovered that the “SCG switch” also works when used prior to the delivery of wonder bread. If the SSC commodities are not to one’s liking, setting its shields to zero before using wonder bread may change the supply and demand lists, producing more desirable commodities. I also tested the SCG switch again on each city’s cycle turns, and was rewarded once more in this game when this resulted in a supply of uranium in a helper.

Here is the game summary:

Early Landing Comparison Game #4 Summary, Large Map

Monarchy – 2050 b
      Republic – 525 b
      Democracy – 620 a

MPE – 1100 b
      Shakespeare’s – 140 a
      Colossus – 800 b
      Copernicus – 25 b
      Newton’s – 400 a
      Darwin’s – 520 a
      SETI – 960 a
      Apollo – 1020 a

Size 8 – 240 a
      Size 12 – 320 a
      Size 21 – 500 a
      Max. size – 25 in 880 a

Key civ contact – 1000 b

Trade – 1300 b
      Invention – 380 a
      Railroad – 500 a
      Automobile – 780 a
      Nuclear Power – 940 a
      Computers – 960 a
      Flight – 960 a
      Space Flight – 1000 a

AC Arrival – 1075 a
      Attached Files

Comment

I am very sorry, I wanted to post to ELG #2.
        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

I swear I am not drunk...

Comment

Comment

My log for the large map game was a bit delayed due to the release of the RoN demo!

Early Landing Comparison Game #4, Large Map

BC Years

3950 Thebes
              3800 Memphis
              3700 Alphabet
              3600 Mem – warrior
              3450 Mem – warrior
              3400 Code of Laws
              3300 Mem – warrior
              2900 The – settlers, contact Babylonians – peace, trade for Bronze Working
              2800 Mem – settlers
              2700 Heliopolis
              2650 Mem – warrior
              2550 Ceremonial Burial
              2450 Elephantine
              2300 The – settlers
              2250 Hel – warrior
              2050 Monarchy
              2000 Alexandria, The – warrior, Babylonians – give tech, 50g tribute
              1900 Ele – settlers
              1750 Pi-Rameses
              1650 Currency
              1600 Hel – settlers
              1550 PiR – warrior
              1500 The – settlers
              1450 Giza
              1400 Ale – settlers
              1350 PiR – warrior, Hel – warrior
              1300 Trade, Ele – settlers
              1250 Giz – warrior
              1200 PiR – warrior, Babylonians – 50g tribute, Hel – warrior
              1150 The – food
              1100 Mem – Marco Polo’s Embassy, contact Chinese – war
              1050 PiR, Hel & Giz – warriors
              1000 Chinese – peace, trade for Writing & Map Making, give tech, share maps; Vikings – trade for Mysticism, give tech, share maps; Indians – give tech, share maps

800 Giz – settlers, PiR – silver, The – Colossus
              750 Vikings – trade for Mathematics, Masonry, & The Wheel
              700 Mem – trireme, Celts – give tech, share maps
              675 Hel – dye, Giz – trireme, Celts – trade for Astronomy & Seafaring; Vikings – trade for Iron Working; Carthaginians – give tech, share maps

650 Ale – dye, The – dye, Giz – warrior
              625 Carthaginians – give tech, share maps
              600 PiR – trireme, Chinese – trade for Republic & Banking, share maps; Celts – trade for Construction; Indians – give tech, share maps

575 Babylonians – give tech, share maps, 100g tribute; silver(d) to Trondheim, 160g
              550 Ele – dye, Mem – copper, revolution
              525 Hel – wool, dye(d) to Ur, 84g, government to Republic
              500 Ele – warrior, Engineering
              450 Byb – temple, Ale – beads, The – hides
              425 Ale – temple, Babylonians – trade for Philosophy, give tech, share maps
              400 Giz – dye, PiR – beads, Mem – beads
              375 hides to Ur, 42g
              350 Hel – hides
              325 Byb – settlers
              300 The – beads
              275 PiR – settlers, Ele – beads, Mem – trireme
              250 Ale – salt, Vikings – give tech
              225 PiR – temple, Hel – colosseum, beads to Ur, 48g (3 roaded SSC routes in place)
              200 Celts – give tech, share maps
              175 copper(d) to Cardiff, 392g
              150 University, Giz & Mem – colosseums, The – marketplace, Celts – give tech, share maps; Vikings – give tech

125 Byb – harbor, dye(d) to Caerphilly, 248g
              100 The – bank, dye(d) to Caernarfon, 216g
              75 Ale – food, Ele – wool, The – library, dye(d) to Kells, 288g
              50 Medicine, Giz – temple, PiR – diplomat, Hel – hides, The – university
              25 The – Copernicus’s Observatory

AD Years

1 Mem – salt
              60 El-Amarna
              80 Byb – settlers, Ale – salt, Ele – wool, wool(d) to Cardiff, 368g
              100 ElA – temple, Hel – hides
              120 Mem – food, The – hides, Sanitation
              140 Byb – dye, The – Shakepeare’s Theater, dye(d) to Tintagel, 344g, Hieraconpolis, beads(d) to Carmarthen, 328g, we love begins

160 ElA – silk, Giz – beads, PiR – salt, Mem – temple, The – coal, Babylonians & Celts – give tech, share maps

180 Hie – gems, Byb – beads, Economics, Ale – trireme, beads(d) to Cork, 336g, Celts – trade for Bridge Building

200 The – aqueduct, Vikings – give tech
              220 Hie – temple
              240 Ele – wool, Hel – hides, The – size 8
              260 Theory of Gravity
              300 ElA – diplomat, Byb – diplomat, hides(d) to Uppsala, 400g
              320 Chemistry, The – sewer system, size 12, Chinese – trade for Democracy, share maps

340 Giz – gold, PiR – food, Ale – beads, Ele – beads, Mem – salt, dye(d) to Canton, 224g, Vikings – give tech

360 Byb – settlers, Hel – hides, The – food
              380 The – diplomat, gems(d) to Ele, 114g, Chinese – trade for Invention; Celts – trade for Navigation

400 The – Isaac Newton’s College, Physics, Vikings – chariot bribed, 97g, give tech; Carthaginians – give tech, share maps

420 The – wine, beads(d) to Beijing, 108g
              440 Hie – settlers, silk(d) to Thebes, 402g
              460 Steam Engine, ElA – settlers, Giz – beads, PiR – salt, The – diplomat, Vikings – give tech, share maps; Indians – give tech, share maps

480 Celts – give tech, share maps, Hie – harbor, Ele – food, Mem – dye, The – food, Magnetism, Abydos, coal(d) to cardiff, 720g, Celts – trade for Gunpowder

500 Byb – colosseum, PiR – harbor, Hel – temple, The – food, size 21, Railroad
              520 Aby – Darwin’s Voyage, Industrialization & The Corporation, Ele – harbor, The – wool, Vikings and Carthaginians – give tech, share maps

540 Ale – beads, The – gems, Metallurgy, Mem – transport, Asyut, wine(d) to Nanking, 304g

580 Giz – gold, Mem – harbor, Explosives, wool(d) to Hieraconpolis, 180g, Hie – transport

600 The – engineers, Avaris, Hie & Mem – transports, revolution
              620 government to Democracy, Hie – coal, Byb – gold, Hel – engineers, Lisht

640 The – food, Electricity, All AI – give tech, share maps, gems(d) to Avaris, 344g

660 Ava – spice, Asy – temple, Aby – engineers, Refining, gold(d) to Thebes, 254g, Byb – transport

680 PiR – coal, The – gold, we love resumes, Mem – transport
              700 The – gems, Steel, coal(d) to Thebes, 232g
              720 Lis – silk, Asy – silk, Giz – engineers, wool(d) to Asyut, 42g
              740 Combustion, gems(d) to Avaris, 374g, Vikings, Carthaginians & Indians – give tech, share maps

760 Hie – engineers, ElA – oil, Byb – engineers, Ale – harbor, Ele – gems, Hel – gold, Mem – gold, silk(d) to Thebes, 378g, gold(d) to Bangalore, 246g, silk(d) to Thebes, 336g

780 Lis – temple, Automobile, Ava – temple, Asy – coal, Hie – dye, Mem – oil, The – superhighways, Mass Production, gold(d) to Bombay, 960g, dye(d) to Madras, 104g, gold(d) to Lisht, 144g, spice(d) to Thebes, 241g, Celts & Indians – give tech, share maps

800 Conscription, Byb – oil, Giz – oil, PiR – hides, Ale – library, Ele – colosseum, Hel – library, The – mass transit, Atomic Theory, Vikings – trade for Horseback Riding & Feudalism, Buto, ElA – transport, dye(d) to Thebes, 189g, Indians – give tech, share maps

820 Lis – transport, Ava – beads, Asy – dye, The – wool, Electronics, coal(d) to Thebes, 580g, gems(d) to Buto, 68g, Edfu, oil to Asyut – 49g

840 But – hides, we love begins for helpers and colonies, Asy – gold, Hie – beads, Byb – salt, Chivalry, Babylonians & Indians – give tech, share maps, gold(d) to Thebes, 696g, dye(d) to Thebes, 232g

860 Celts – give tech, share maps, Ava – superhighways, Giz – beads, PiR – hides, Mem – salt, The – gems, Nuclear Fission, Carthaginians – give tech, share maps, beads to Thebes, 336g, wool(d) to Bombay, 612g, gold(d) to Bombay, 336g, gems(d) to Avaris, 1008g, Celts – give tech, share maps

880 Leadership, But – dye, Lis – spice, Ava – copper, Asy – gold, Hie – gems, ElA – beads, Byb – superhighways, Ele – library, Hel – courthouse, The – food, size 25, gold(d) to Thebes, 722g, copper(d) to Thebes, 691g, beads(d) to Rhymney, 180g, oil(d) to Avaris, 378g, salt to Asyut – 66g, oil(d) to Thebes, 826g

900 Edf – oil, Ava – beads, Asy – gold, Hie & ElA – superhighways, Byb – library, Giz – harbor, PiR – superhighways, Ale – oil, Ele – university, Hel – harbor, Mem – oil, The – gems, Tactics, oil(d) to Thebes, 1216g, gems(d) to Ur, 602g, beads to Thebes, 278g, dye to Thebes, 216g, hides(d) to Tintagel, 318g

920 But – hides, Lis, Ava, Asy, Hie, PiR, Ale & ElA – colosseums, Byb – university, Hel – uranium, The – wool, Machine Tools, we love ends, Indians – give tech, share maps, uranium(d) to Byblos, 304g, wool(d) to Lisht, 506g, gems(d) to Avaris, 1096g, salt to Thebes, 248g

940 Edf – silk, Nuclear Power, Lis – superhighways, Ava – copper, Asy – superhighways, Hie – gold, ElA – library, Byb – oil, Ele – hides, Mem – superhighways, The – food, Miniaturiazation, Chinese – give tech, share maps, hides(d) to Tsintao, 236g, oil(d) to El-Amarna, 747g, oil(d) to Thebes, 770g, oil(d) to Thebes, 868g, beads to Thebes, 448g, Pithorn, beads to Thebes, 366g

960 Pit – temple, Computers, But – hides, Aby – SETI Program, Giz – salt, PiR – dye, Ale & Hel – superhigways, The – gems, Laser, Vikings – trade for Flight & Warrior Code, Indians – give tech, share maps, gems(d) to Avaris – 640g, gold(d) to Thebes, 608g, gold(d) to Thebes, 499g, spice to Thebes, 199g

980 Edf – dye, Radio, Lis – salt, Ava – food, Asy – dye, Aby – temple, Hie – gems, ElA – dye, Byb – hides, Ele – gems, Mem – beads, The – copper, Advanced Flight, dye(d) to Cardiff, 340g, dye(d) to Thebes, 250g, dye(d) to Thebes, 400g, gems(d) to Memphis, 267g, dye(d) to Thebes, 523g, salt to Thebes, 199g, Vikings – trade for Pottery; Indians – give tech, share maps

1000 Pit – gold, But – hides, Rocketry, Giz – silk, PiR – oil, Ale – salt, Hel – gems, The – cloth, Space Flight, hides(d) to Kells, 340g, oil(d) to Lisht, 405g, oil(d) to Lisht, 340g, gems(d) to Avaris, 236g, copper(d) to Avaris, 427g, silk(d) to El-Amarna, 284g, Indians & Babylonians – give tech, share maps

1020 Edf – hides, Lis – food, Ava – beads, Asy – gold, Aby – Apollo Program, Hie – beads, ElA – dye, Byb – hides, Ele – food, Mem – oil, The – stock exchange, Plastics, Indians – trade for Polytheism, gold(d) to Bombay, 468g, copper(d) to Nanking, 384g, cloth(d) to Rhymney, 710g, gold(d) to Thebes, 600g, gems(d) to Avaris, 328g

1040 Pit, Giz, PiR & Ale – food, Edf, Lis, Ava, Aby, Hie, ElA, Byb, Ele, & Mem – SS structurals, Asy & The – SS components, Superconductor, dye(d) to Thebes, 523g

1060 Edf, But, Lis, Asy, Hie, ElA & Byb – SS structurals, Aby, Ele & Mem – SS modules, Giz, Ale, Hel & The – SS components, Fusion Power, 15-3-3-1-1-1 launch

1075 arrival at Alpha Centauri

Comment

That's excellent play for a large map! 1075 is the new record.

I should just about be able to finish the medium map for #4 but a busy two weeks has prevented me from even starting the large world. I may start the large world first for #5.

---------------

SG(2)
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Following a miscalculation during a confrontation with the Vikings I was left with 1 less SSC than I had before. I will not be submitting a large map entry for ELG#4.

(Still, that gives me the chance to start #5 straight away.)

RJM at Sleepers
                  Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

MEDIUM MAP

Alpha Centauri 1116
                    Things started very well, but as the game progressed demanded goods from the SSC were almost non-existent. I will post extra details soon.

Governments
                    Revolutions to:
                    Monarchy in 2650BC
                    Republic in 425BC
                    Democracy in 220AD

Wonders
                    Hanging Gardens 950BC
                    Colossus in 675BC
                    Shakespeare's Theatre in 455BC
                    Copernicus' Observatory in 200BC
                    Isaac Newton's College in 100AD
                    Michelangelo's Chapel 260AD
                    Darwin's Voyage in 420AD
                    SETI 820AD
                    Apollo Program in 940AD

Events
                    Elephantine 8 in 325BC
                    Elephantine 12 in 225BC
                    Elephantine 21 in 40AD
                    Elephantine 31in 840AD
                    Key Civ contact 2350BC

Milestones in Science
                    Trade in 1400BC (1st Trade Route in 575BC)
                    Invention 20AD
                    Railroad in 380AD
                    Automobile in 540AD
                    Nuclear Power 700AD
                    Computers in 800AD
                    Flight in 800AD (Swapped with Vikings)
                    Space Flight in 900AD
                    Launch 15-1-1-1-1-1 in 1080AD

AC 1116AD

---------------------------

SG(2)
                    Attached Files

Comment

I finished the large map game with a 995 AD landing .

I worked on my early development strategy and also tried to build more cities for the large map. In 450 BC I had 16 cities and two settlers on the way to the Celtish Continent. After 450 I consolidated and only added more colonies. The plan was to grow as many cities to size 12 as possible. To get there I started celebrating with republic in 325 and build all the happiness wonders. In 420 AD my 16 home cities (4 on the continent west of the home continent) had sizes between 5 and 11 (SSC 23) and though I was behind my plans and had only 2 helpers size 9 and 11 I decided to stop growth in favour of tech advance. With the SSC fully developed I was allready close to 1 tech a turn. This brought a short Rennaissance period and after automobile in 740 AD even with the additional burden of Feudalism, Monotheism, Polytheism and Religion the speed of tech advances was faster than in any game I played. The 20 techs after automobile were done in just 12 turns.

The landscape was suitable for growing cities early. I also was lucky to get an excellent offer of techs when MPE was build. Later on I had problems though when the Ais were all building Sun Tzus. I had to research mathematics and astronomy myself while the wikings were sitting on these techs. I also waited desperately for the development of the wheel. Trade with the AI also was not easy: the wikings were to close in trade distance, the Chinese didn´t survive the barbarians (would have been to close too). Until the end of Rennaissance I only traded with Babylonians and Wikings. The Celtish Continent was suitable for establishing colonies, but the Celtish cities rarely demanded the commodities I had to offer. In the end I had 11 colonies on the Celtish continent, most of them small cities with sizes between 1 and 5. The colony trade was the backbone of my economy and allowed constant earnings. The worst part in this game was the (outgoing) SSC trade. With my (bad) choice of the sea side SSC I had a constantly blocked SSC throughout the game. In the early phase it didn´t matter because my strong helper cities could replace trade routes with the AI easily. But IIRC I had not a single delivery from the SSC after automobile. Wonder bread didn´t work and I didn´t want to replace the trade routes to Ur that peaked at 32 each, once the qualified railroad was established. These trade routes helped the SSC to get close to 1500 science beakers, but the other SSCsite would have given even better results. If I had chosen a lean approach I would have been lost with this SSC, but with the broad approach it didn´t matter and I could afford to continue without (outgoing) SSC trade. The incoming trade to the SSC and other cities was good.

A broad approach probably gives advantages on large maps. I am very content with this result, but I also think that further improvements should be possible.

The summary:

Governments
                      Monarchy 1650 BC
                      Republic 325 BC
                      Democracy 460 AD

Wonders
                      MPE 850 BC
                      HG 500 BC
                      Colossus 150 BC
                      ST 20 AD
                      Copernicus 180 AD
                      Michaelangelo's 300 AD
                      Isaac's 360 AD
                      JSB 500 AD
                      Darwin's 580 AD
                      SETI 880 AD
                      Apollo 940 AD

SSC stats
                      size 8 80 AD
                      size 12 160 AD
                      size 21 380 AD
                      size 23 420 AD
                      max. size 24 in 780 AD

Techs
                      Trade 1200 BC
                      Invention 380 AD
                      Railroad 560 AD
                      Automobile 740 AD
                      Nuclear Power 860 AD
                      Computers 880 AD
                      Flight 880 AD
                      Space Flight 940 AD

Key civ contact 850 BC
                      First trade delivery 600 BC

AC arrival 995 AD

Zenon

the launch sav:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well done, Zenon!!!

You are first below 1000 AD on a large map. Perhaps you'll beat me to a sub 500 AD game on a medium map, too!

It's interesting to see how close we were (you beat me to Space Flight by 3 turns) with such different game plans, but it looks like your use of additional cities is the better way to go since I had better luck trading techs with the AI, yet still lagged a bit behind. My own problem was not having a good time to celebrate helpers and colonies, which cost me several more opportunities for 2 advances per turn after Automobile. With better play I think I could have managed a result under 1000 AD, too.

I agree that probably much more can be done to improve large map dates.

SG(2),

So much for records, as I join you as a former top dog on large maps! Another solid game yourself on the medium map. Monarchy by 2650 AD was very quick. I think you would haved like the setup in this large one had you the time to play it.

Comment

Zenon that's a tremendous result. Many congratulations. You must be aware that you achieved your sub-millennium landing without a University in the SSC!

solo ... Monarchy by 2650BC was lucky as the Romans swapped Code of Laws with me.

So the Hall of Fame reads:

Medium World: solo @ 615AD

Large World: Zenon @ 995AD

-------------------

SG(2)

Comment

Solo, SG (2),

thanks for the friendly comments.

Perhaps you'll beat me to a sub 500 AD game on a medium map, too!
                            So, so! The 500 AD barrier certainly is a challenge. But you would either have to find us a nice river delta with some gold mountains or offer a small map to get there. I think that even your 615 AD landing will be very hard to beat for a long time, whereas the 995 AD date will soon be replaced. I may hold another record though with my 1415 AD landing for a long time: the worst landing date ever to win an ELG comparison

without a University in the SSC!
                            Even if the SSC may look otherwise still complete it was sold on the turn before as were most of the superhighways.

Monarchy by 2650BC was lucky as the Romans swapped Code of Laws with me.
                            I noted this date to and even with one tech traded for it is very good and - of cause - as always way before my Monarchy date.

Zenon

Comment

Originally posted by Zenon
                              I may hold another record though with my 1415 AD landing for a long time: the worst landing date ever to win an ELG comparison
                              Zenon
                              I can think of many large world games I've played where the winner would be lucky to land before the turns came every two years.

I wondered if you had sold the University - but you had a healthy treasury on the launch turn.

-----------------

SG(2)

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                                - but you had a healthy treasury on the launch turn.
                                That´s right. After managing trade for almost 30 cities for a while always close to loosing the tech pace I was tired of planning and really wanted to finish this game. So I simply sold one improvement in every city and had more cash left than I needed.

Zenon

Comment

Working...
                                X