Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimal space ship configuration revisited...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal space ship configuration revisited...

It's been ages since I built the fastest space ship. Soon, however, in a PBEM game near you I might give it a try again. Hence, the need to know the fastest configuration.

IIRC it is 33-8-8-1-1-1, which should take 5.7 years with fusion. After looking in the GL, however, I got confused. An old poster claimed 34-8-8-1-1-1, which sounds unfamiliar to me.

So, what's the verdict?

Carolus

YDRC, Carolus. Well, at least according to my notes.

33-8-8-1-1-1
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Optimal if you're launching where turns take 1 year each (or 2).

If you're trying for an early landing record, and turns take 20 years, you're better off building a slower spaceship sooner. Launching a slow ship in 980 AD, for example, will usually get you an earlier landing than a fast one launched in 1000 (since the game jumps to 1 yr/turn once a ship is launched).
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I believe 16-1-1-1-1-1 is the fastest if launching before 1000 AD, but don't quote me.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Thanks, -Jrabbit and STYOM!

I'd forgotten about that, good point! It's a PBEM game and I do want to land as early as possible. Hm, I need to think about that...

Carolus

Comment

STYOM ... I'm no expert on spaceships ... but I think it's
            15-1-1-1-1-1. At Deity it is a handy option before the 10 year turns kick in at 1500AD.

Carolus... I wonder which PBEM game? Regards to Sitting Punk!

---------------------

SG(2)
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
              I believe 16-1-1-1-1-1 is the fastest if launching before 1000 AD, but don't quote me.
              Have no knowledge of 16 structural ship, but these two I know work.

15-1-1-111.....36yrs
              15-2-2-111.....21yrs

Happy Landing!!

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                Carolus... I wonder which PBEM game? Regards to Sitting Punk!

---------------------

SG(2)

Carolus

Comment

Even 15-3-3-1-1-1 is possible for early landings. This one arrives after 16 years.

Comment

Originally posted by solo
                    Even 15-3-3-1-1-1 is possible for early landings. This one arrives after 16 years.
                    Actually, it's 15 yrs...IIRC, 15.7 yrs, but it is not rounded up. Also, of course, the clock starts on the turn after you hit the Launch button.

Monk
                    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

You can trim an odd year off by launching a structural or two short - when it says 23% chance of success it means 100% chance of success, but only 23% of your colonists will survive -- the slightly lighter ships travel that bit faster ...

SG[1]
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Sorry, Carolus,
                        Viking ships fly faster
                        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Heh, heh, heh!

Hm, this requires more preparing than I first remembered... What to do, which configuration to go for? Oh well, the Egyptians will most likely render the question academic...

Carolus

Comment

size doesn't matter..well not in this case anyways

Best bet for a MP SS is to build and launch in 1 turn.
                            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                              You can trim an odd year off by launching a structural or two short - when it says 23% chance of success it means 100% chance of success, but only 23% of your colonists will survive -- the slightly lighter ships travel that bit faster ...

SG[1]
                              Interesting - does that mean that in the early landing games we should be going for a slimmer bird? Is there a "Solo" rule about how many colonists must survive?

RJM at Sleepers
                              Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Working...
                              X