No announcement yet.

Do the Civs have Inherent differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Civs have Inherent differences?

I've read in some posts that some civs are different, Like the babylonians are good for trade, and the mongols war.
    Whats the story with this?
    Is there a relavent thread to read?
    Are the bananas real?
    Yours
    The Proff.

Look for a thread in the Great Library called 'starting techs' or something like that. Apparently if you choose to play a Civ of a certain colour, you are more or less likely to get extra starting techs. Also, there are some extra quirks - IIRC, the Egyptians are more likely to get Masonry, for example (thus, Pyramids).

Otherwise... the only differences between Civs is when the AI plays them - their personalities are laid out on the Intelligence screen (Militaristic, Rational, Perfectionist, etc.).

STYOM
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

The one certainty is that every AI civ will attack you - unprovoked - at some stage or other. It's only a matter of time.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I can't yet prove that playing a certain tribe will in fact give you different hut results, but i have noticed that certain tribes get slightly different results...

the game does try to even out people who are trailing...but that too isn't proveable....as there are times when you start poorly and it goes downhill

anyone else notice stuff like this......?
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

are you sure you aren't talking about civ III? in civ III there are definite differences. in civII the AIs play to fit their civ's personality, but thats about it.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

There are differences in starting techs, etc. I recall one or other of the Scouse Gits doing about a trillion test starts - it must've been a long, cold night in Liverpool - and discovering patterns.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Apart from starting techs (see A is for Alphabet in GL) each civ has various characteristics which determine their philosophies. The details of whether they are "Militaristic, Perfectionist or Expansionist" seem largely cosmetic…they will all sneak attack given half a chance.

Finbar…good to see you around again. Have you just penned the screenplay for the new "Forsyte Saga"?

--------------

SG(2)
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                Apart from starting techs (see A is for Alphabet in GL) each civ has various characteristics which determine their philosophies. The details of whether they are "Militaristic, Perfectionist or Expansionist" seem largely cosmetic…they will all sneak attack given half a chance.

Finbar…good to see you around again. Have you just penned the screenplay for the new "Forsyte Saga"?

--------------

SG(2)
                Nice to be back, SG2! No, not the "Forsythe Saga", but, oddly enough, tonight I was asked to write a screenplay for a film set in England and Australia! Dunno which bit of England yet, but rest assured I'll propose Merseyside.

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                  the game does try to even out people who are trailing...but that too isn't proveable....as there are times when you start poorly and it goes downhill

anyone else notice stuff like this......?
                  Definitely. It irks me, whether I'm the one in the lead or playing follow-the-leader.

If I'm kicking the AI's buttocks in, then let me do so. Don't humor me by cheating terribly in order to keep at least one AI civilization w/i nuking technology of me. If *I* happen to be getting my arse handed to me on a plate, then let it be. Don't humor me by slowing down the AIs so I can "catch up." If I'm losing, it's probably because of a decision I made somewhere that didn't pan out. Don't reward me by making the AI go slower because of it.

When using "you," of course, I am referring to the program and its creators.

Gatekeeper
                  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                  X