Combat multipliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat multipliers

Are the modifier effects additive or cumulative?

Example. Vet Pikeman fortified in a river city against vet crusader.

Pike:
    Base defense (2) + Fortified (1) + Vet (1) + River (1) + Pike bonus (1) = 6 defense.

Crusader:
    Base attack (5) + Vet (2.5) = 7.5 attack.

Is this true?

I think you will find that the multipliers are, er, multiplied.

For full gory details see the thread "Info: Combat (GL)" just below in the forum - or look it up in the Great Library - at the top of this forum or in my sig.
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I did check out the Combat section, but I couldn't find whether the effects are multiplied or added.

According to you, the calculations would be (Vet Pike on river v.s. Vet Crusader)

Vet Pike: 2 (base defense) * 1.5 (vet) * 1.5 (fortified) * 1.5 (river) * 1.5 (pike bonus) = 10.125

Vet Crusader: 5 (base attack) * 1.5 (vet) = 7.5

So a rivered vet pike men is "immune" from vet crusaders? I don't think so.

Comment

Well - a very quick test - certainly not large enough to verify the odds exactly just pitted my vet Crook against your vet fortified, rivered Pikey and lost 9-1 -- far more in line with my figures than with yours ...

Comment

The section in the FAQ is Section 3 - adjustment factors -- you can get there most easily by opening the thread and clicking on the link "factors" ...

Comment

I just ran the GL calculation through an Excel spreadsheet and emerged finally with a figure of 11.07% chance of victory for the vet Crook - which is nicely in line with my rapid lab test.

Ain't it nice when things come together?

For reference the calculation I performed was...

A = 60 (7.5*8)
            D = 81

p = 59/162 since A < D

ah = dh = 10

P = Sum(n=10 .. 19) { Combin(n-1, 9) * p^10 * (1-p)^(n-10) }

giving P = 0.1107

any corrections etc gratefully received

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan_RawB
              Vet Pike: 2 (base defense) * 1.5 (vet) * 1.5 (fortified) * 1.5 (river) * 1.5 (pike bonus) = 10.125

Vet Crusader: 5 (base attack) * 1.5 (vet) = 7.5

So a rivered vet pike men is "immune" from vet crusaders? I don't think so.
              He's not immune, but just has a better chance of winning the battle than the crusader.

I frequently lose knights and crusaders to pikemen in defense-favorable terrain. I even lose dragoons about 20-30% of the time.

Comment

Multipliers are multiplied, EXCEPT for the river terrain bonus. That one is added to the other terrain as a modifier. For example, a hill doubles defense; A rivered hill multiplies the defense value by 2.5, not 3.

Your veteran pikeman fortified on a river attacked by a crusader defends with 10.125, as you have calculated. SG1, you are a fine statistician. (but the Great Library link does not go to the right thread... )

dunk999, the pikeman does not gain the pike bonus against a dragoon, as the latter has 2hp. Spartan_RawB's pikeman would still defend with a 6.75, tho. Your veteran dragoons should expect about the odds you estimate.

(le marquis as he spots a new combat statistics thread)
                The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                intelligence to few.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                  I just ran the GL calculation through an Excel spreadsheet and....
                  I would let that spreadsheet to rest. The great library is waiting...
                  Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                    "The English are, in my opinion, a little bit lazy..."
                    I resemble that remark, Sirrah! My seconds will call upon you shortly.

SG[1]

Comment

Working...
                    X