Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarians

Hello,
    I am really new to the game. I am currently building up my civ, I have encountered the Egyptians and the Chinese. They both hate each other but I get along with both of them. Even when they are trying to get me to fight the other I refuse and still end up being friends with both of them. Now the barbarians come along and demand gold from me and do not want to negotiate. Of course I send them away and they automatically take over a city, and then another. I am wondering how to avoid these creatures and build my civilization with as little war as possible. I know some of you are wondering why I would want to do it this way. Well like I said I am new and would like to just get the concept of building and succeeding first. Once I get that down then yes World domination here I come. If I am approaching this in the wrong way then I would like to know. Thanks
    Support My ride in the fight to beat MS
    here

you can set barbarians to "Huts only". at that setting, barbs only appear when you open a hut.

or set it to raging hordes and learn how to defend your cities too
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Thanks for the response, I will remember that first one. I was kind of forced to learn the second now. Oh well it is what you need to learn to deal with when building a civ!
      here

Comment

you're welcome. be sure to check out the great library at some point, lots of info in there, but some of it's rather advanced

Comment

Where is the great library? The game. cd or elsewhere?
          here

Comment

the thread in this forum

Great Library Index by Scouse Gits

Comment

great! thanks once again!
              here

Comment

build some diplomats(Writing) and turn invading barbs into honorable defenders.Barbs are relatively cheap to buy.You can often get it back by nailing the leader with his own converted troops.Thats why many like raging hoardes as leaders are 150 gold each.
                Buy back your cities from barbs with dips also.The cities are dirt cheap and come with at least 1 unit,probably several.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

you can also misuse a barbarian city as a unit supermarket with your diplo to create a stream of cheap none units, completely free off maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoddy
                    you can also misuse a barbarian city as a unit supermarket with your diplo to create a stream of cheap none units, completely free off maintenance.
                    But be on ly sure to have enough money
                    googol... this is a number!
                    "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
                    "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

Sounds Interesting I think I will give it a try! I have been able to take back over the cities that have been taken from me. I did realize when reading the manual that I chose raging hordes. So I should expect to see allot of them. I have found that I am spending more time on the military to defend my cities from them then actually advancing in science. I have gotten far but I do believe I am behind the rest of the countries. At the end of the turn and it ranks all the cities, is this done by population or other stats?
                      here

Comment

During the very early years the biggest threat to your civilisation is Barbs. The first research goal is Monarchy - but usually you will have to research one tech not leading to your target. Make sure you choose Horseback Riding when this opportunity comes around. The Barb Archer defends at 1 NOT 2. He is easily killed by Horsemen when not defending on favourable terrain.

---------------

SG(2)
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Hi unix - just read your post with a little more care.

You're not playing at deity are you? Barbarians only demand cash from empty cities and if you have a couple of these it sounds as if you are expanding without martail law - a 'must have' at deity.

Don't be fooled by the game pushing you into Phalanges as soon as you have Bronze Working. Warriors are good enough as long as you have the odd Horseman to back them up - see my colleague's post above.

If it helps, my (non-capital, non SSC) build list is something like Warrior, Settler, Settler, Horse, Caravan, Settler, Caravans for ever - but this is an ICS style development - not for everybody.
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Listen to Scouse Gits.... i defend with warriors too.....on deity martial law/happiness is your biggest problem.....having one horse for every three or four cities is generally enough....make sure you uncover enough terrain around your ciites so you don't have barbs appearing out of the dark....

every once in awhile you will need two horses..but by that time your inner ciites should be connected thus ,you can send one of your horses guarding your empires back to the front or vice a versa

horses are also better b/c you can chase down barb kings and earn some money....

the only drawback to picking horses over bronze is the fact that you wont' have a tech to start wonder building with.....thus reducing your chance at building all the early wonders.....

however , this is good practice for when you step in to the MP arena and square off against some of the heavyweights
                            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

No not playing on the deity level, I have found through continuation of playing the game that if I use two musketeers and a catapult I can take my cities back and capture there’s with no problem. Now they all seem to not bother me but just the other countries. They were attacking the Chinese which I have a permanent peace treaty, so I go over and attack and get rid of the barbarians. Well then they tell me they will withdraw from the treaty if I do not get out of there land! Ha! Thanks of all of the post.
                              here

Comment

Working...
                              X