oedo Years Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oedo Years Query

OK, so I've noticed this thing about oedo years in SP vs MP play. Here it is...

MP -- You get your new tech (say, Monarchy). An oedo year comes up (say, -2250). You revolt. You are installed as king, same turn, and have no loss of production due to anarchy. Works fine. But in...

SP -- Same scenario. If I get Monarchy in -2300 and wait until -2250 to revolt, I go into anarchy until -2050. To get the oedo advantage, I have to revolt in a turn early (-2300).

Is this a commonly-known situation? Am I crazy? Confused? Missing something very basic?

Oh, yeah -- I play MGE for Macintosh with the latest patch (1.1). Seems to work fine when I play MP with PC users.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

MP or SP is not the issue. If you obtain the gov. tech on an Oedo year and accept the invitation of revolution, you switch government immediately; if you obtain the gov. tech on a year other than the oedo year, you have to start revolution one turn before Oedo year and the government will switch on the Oedo year (lose one turn of production).

Comment

Ah, the legendary Xin Yu! I am honored.

Just shows how new I am to all this. I must have gotten monarchy on an oedo year when I played MP (have only MP'd a couple times), then gotten burned with the on-oedo-year change when I returned to SP at home. Drew the wrong conclusion. (Compounding the problem is my tendency to "play through" and thus miss the occasional change of year.)

Sigh. Enough knowledge to be dangerous -- to myself.

So, this means that you should accept the invitation to revolt in both the oedo year (optimal) and the turn before (since if you don't revolt then, you have to wait 4 turns to avoid multi-turn anarchy).

Right?

Thanks for the enlightenment.
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yes -Jrabbit an answer from the Legend is indeed an honour - however, it is not always as enlightening as you might like.

There is indeed a difference between SP v2.42 and MP in the year that is displayed when the discovery is announced. In SP the year has yet to advance so when it says that you have Monarchy in 2100BC it actually means that Monarchy is available at the start of your 2050 turn and you should revolt NOW - but in MP, a later version of the game, the clock is more accurate and it says 2050BC it actually means 2050 and you should revolt ...

It's Sunday night and I'm the wrong side of 5 bottles so I hope this made some sense - if not I shall revise it in the morning ...

Cheers,
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are "oedo" years? I found and read a thread about this in The Great Library, and I understand that they give you instant revolutions, but when are they? Every 200 years? Every 50 years? Any year ending with --50?

Steele
          If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Originally posted by steelehc
            Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are "oedo" years? I found and read a thread about this in The Great Library, and I understand that they give you instant revolutions, but when are they? Every 200 years? Every 50 years? Any year ending with --50?

Steele
            Odeo years are not really years, but turns. Every fourth turn, you can be granted a new government. A definitive list of which years constitute the fourth turns exists somewhere on this board, probably in the Great Library. Things to know:

1) Which years are odeo years change at different levels, because different levels have a different number of turns. The Deity list won't apply to King or Prince, for example.

2) In order to make use of odeo yearsr, you need to have a revolution the turn before the odeo year. This means your cities will spend one turn in anarchy, but only one. the only "instant revolution" comes when you get a government advancement in an odeo year and decide to switch. For example, if you discover or trade for Democracy in (odeo year) 1260 AD, you can immediately switch into it; but if you get it in 1280, you should wait to revolt in 1320 to switch in (odeo year) 1340.

3) I think there's a point late in the game when odeo years no longer apply, but I'm not sure about that.

Hope that helps.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Just for reference.

Even if you get the tech for a new government during an oedo year, unless it's the beakers from your last city in rotation that give you the tech, you will experience anarchy in all the cities after the city that contributed the beakers to get you the tech.

Yes rereading that it does sound confusing. So let's try an example.

You're one beaker away from Monarchy and the next year is an oedo year. (congrats on decent timing) AND you have 6 cities.
              Your turn starts and the first city contributes it's beakers, Congrats, you have discovered monarchy, do you wish to revolt. "of COURSE". You are now in anarchy as the rest of your cities (5) are cycled through and then you get to select a government.

The only time you don't suffer any anarchy is when it's your last city (usually your cap) is the one that contributes the beakers needed to make the next tech.

RAH
              Sorry, but every time someone says changing governments without any anarchy, I always flinch.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

O Great and Powerful, Nearly-Unflinching RAH!

This makes it clear -- and teaches me a little something about how turns are constructed as well.

thx

Comment

Thanks for your help. I'll have to try this out the next time I play.

Steele
                  If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Ah, this discussion reminds me a trick. Theoretically it may work but I have never tried.

Suppose you are in Democracy and have SOL. You assign several units(e.g., your entire task force for attacking another civ) to your first city and let them go out side (thus the city will go riot due to unhappiness). Every turn, your government will collapse when processing the last city in sequence (which is your first city). Then from SOL you get to choose a new government. You choose Fundi and back stab everybody. Then at the end of your turn you revolution again and choose Democracy. This way by giving up one city's production you gain benefits of Democracy's development and fundi's war engine/diplomacy.

Comment

Working...
                    X