My saddest discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My saddest discovery

My saddest discovery came one night well after my bedtime, a moment after clicking “buy it”. Most of my gold was gone, and I had just completed Cure for Cancer instead of the last few shields of a spaceship structural.

What’s yours?

------------------
    It is more pleasant to live in the corner of a housetop,
    than in a wide house with a brawling woman.

A long time ago. The first time someone else discovered Magnetism, extinguishing my Lighthouse wonder, while I had a number of triremes out in the ocean miles from any land.

------------------
    Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
    Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
    Horse and Hydey Wrangler
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Well, I can't count the number of times I've "accidently" built the Oracle because I start a city on it intending to switch to the Wonder I really want, then forget to do so. But that's not sad, it's just dumb. No, my saddest discovery was in the first game that I won at deity, when I discovered that, regardless of my spotless reputation, regardless of my possession of the UN, regardless of my peace treaties with one and all, everyone will sneak attack me, using nukes if they've got 'em, a turn before I land on AC. Goodbye, population, hello pollution, goodbye high score.

------------------
      Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
      -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
      [This message has been edited by Rufus T. Firefly (edited May 21, 2001).]
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

1. Missing the Odeo year, not once, not twice but three times in an MP game. I swear it wasn't the beer.

2. I sometimes sleep my catapults when they're in cities. Once while obviously not paying attention. Built a ship, slept the pikeman and settler, moved the ship across the ocean, discovered a great city site on a mountain with two whales in reach. (and not being used) It was almost in the middle of an opponents territory who didn't have Mapmaking so couldn't see the two whales. Great place to build a city and launch some heavy harrassment raids. Anyway, I go to move the units off the ship and lo and behold, all I have on the ship is a pikeman and a catapult. Bummer. I swear it wasn't the beer.

3. Early ship cruising along with two diplos. Move up to enemy city to establish an embassy and hopefully choose a tasty tech. By accident move the ship instead of the diplos, ship attacks city and loses. Three units lost, and no embassy or tech. I swear it wasn't the beer.

4. While routinely trading maps with one person during an MP game, clicking the wrong civ and trading maps with your opponents. OK, this one was probably because of the beer.

5. AND my most common, forgetting to unfortify a unit that was laying a trap for a retreating barb king, so the barb king gets away. Or chasing a barb king for 7 turns and finally corner him against the sea and having him dissapear. Or new barbs showing up to cover him and destroy your two chasers. Now, beer may be blamed for the unfortify but had absolutely nothing to do with last two.

RAH
        There does sound like there is a moral here, but I can't see it. (thanks to the beer)
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah's list is 5 items long (without beer).
          Mine would be 500 (with beer and wine and brandy).
          No spamming allowed.
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Well, list the top 5 for our amusement.

RAH
            OK
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Gone to all the trouble of building/launching a carrier with bombers on patrol to protect it; then moving the carrier before recovering last turn's bombers. The game seems to be mocking me as the sound of planes going into the drink comes from my speakers. Also using a nuke to search for a ship that I know is out there (I use like RPVs) and accidentally nuking it. I wanted to know where it was, not waste a nuke on it! Doh!
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

leaving that unit fortified in your opponents territory for a millenium without a stacked partner...i swear it wasnt' the weed.

moving your caravan away from the city instead of into the city.... i swear it wasn't the weed.

sentry that trireme with caravans and forget to move them for the trade bonus...... i swear it wasnt' the weed.

using the caravan for a trade route instead of rushing the wonder, i swear it wasnt the weed.

trying to steal tech with a civ that you have an embassy with and forgetting that they have no new tech... that point in the game its probably the weed.

i could go on but i can't type anymore ...... its probably the weed

Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

LOL, Ethnic C, or is it war beaver, or is it war4ever or is it the Mongols, I keep forgetting, it must be the beer.

Well except for "sentry that trireme with caravans" i've done all the others, CUI Civing Under the Influence.

Rich
                  I hear this still counts as a post.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

CUI - (red wine for me)

Are we really restricted to five?[list=1][*]Losing the oedo crib[*]Finding the crib and then missing the year (twice) - rah: when I miss it three times I define it as an 'experimental game'[*]Sending a caravan on a scenic long-cut through the nearest mountain[*]Forgetting to reload the cargo when a transport dashes through a canal city[*]Moving a ship chain element the wrong way [/list=1]
                    I suspect the depths of our miskeying are as yet unplumbed ...
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yes, after printing out over a dozen crib sheets, I finally bookmarked the thread and keep netscape running when I play so I can switch over and look. I always remember them for monarchy, but get confused when it's time for republic. Definately CUI.

RAH
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In my very early days:

Working on a wonder -- I think it was Adam Smith -- when I got the message that an AI civ had just built it. I went into the wonder city screen and saw that I still had the option to buy it. So I figured maybe I could supercede the AI and blew my whole treasury to rush-buy it. The game let me spend all my money on it but still gave the wonder to the AI civ.

I shouldn't have expected to steal the wonder, but I felt cheated that it let me waste all my money.

Comment

My saddest discovery would have to be that I've been playing CivII for 3 hours and my wife is getting angry.
                          -HOWITZER AL-
                          -------------------
                          Some complain that God put thorns on roses,
                          While others rejoice that He put roses among the thorns.

Comment

Campo, your NEXT wonder is pre-built. Small compensation.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Now that you mention it, the situation was aggravated (and so was I) by the fact that there was no other wonder currently available. I ended up leaving that city wasting shields for a couple dozen turns until I got a new wonder tech.

Comment

Working...
                              X