No announcement yet.

a smile and cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been much of a briber so my opinion may not be objective but I've found the easiest way to defeat the AI militarily is with a horde of Veteran Crusaders early in the game. With an offense of 7.5 and a movement of 2 they are overwhelming and really cant be stopped until the AI gets Conscription. By then i have veteran Calvery anyway :-)
    [This message has been edited by Deity Dude (edited April 05, 2001).]

Comment

A smile and a gun trumps a smile and cash every time. Smiler with gun robs smiler with cash.

Late game conquering on a large world takes too long with troops or spies. The AI spreads all over the map. Just getting to all the cities becomes a major hassle. Better to take out some early, the others as you can. Alternative is to let them grow, and beat them in the space race because of your own expanded empire. I often have 80 cities by the Apollo build, only a few due to bribes or conquest.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Another reason for early conquest is to limit the AI's growth. If you capture, say, 3 of their 5 cities early, you get to expand where they would have. You can box them in and keep them wimpy. Think of their 5 cities as the stems of a branching tree. The top is just as big, but a certain portion can be yours.

Keeping the AI neighbors under your thumb is also a fine justification for attacking ALL size 1 cities you encounter. And the AI is dumb enough to try settling one spot several times. Just patrol the area, wait until they settle, et voila! some pocket change and the occasional tech. If you do it before they build a defender, they don't hold a vendetta against you.

------------------
        "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
        -Philip of Macedon
        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
        intelligence to few.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Blaupanzer on 04-05-2001 11:43 AM
          Late game conquering on a large world takes too long with troops or spies. The AI spreads all over the map. Just getting to all the cities becomes a major hassle.

Been there, done that, or rather, Am there doing that .

It is all a matter of preference if you do it with spies vs. milit. Both have their ups and downs and neither seems to ultimately win over the other. So why not call it a draw .

Another idea is to use both. Build a substantial army and some diplos and buy all the cities you can afford and blow the brains out of the ones you can't. (or beat the price back with your military before buying the cities).
          I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Working...
          X