No announcement yet.

Most important learning for improving my game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am perhaps just a step ahead of you. My last game I wiped out the next-to-last enemy city in 1798, but that's about a hundred years ahead of my previous best.

My deity game improved dramatically when I began to push the expansion. I'd always striven to build really good cities, placed to allow complete growth without overlap or wasted spaces. I still haven't managed to break the bounds and explode into Dave's true ICS strategy, but I believe that if I did, my game would improve even more. Why? Civ is all about choosing the right investments with the highest payoffs. On average, nothing pays off better than a new city, because that new city is the source of all production, including other new cities. Even if you don't want to build a lot of cities and get stuck with lots of management, you should still probably build your first 6-12 cities as fast as possible, even though it means forgoing lots of other stuff that has great value. Cities have greater value.

My power skyrockets in the Middle Ages when I've finally got Michelangelo and trade enhancers in place so that I can switch to republic and celebrate most of my cities every turn. I don't hurry to get to republic, but explosive growth under representative government is a huge factor in my game.

If you haven't already, study happiness. Outraged citizens become valuable when you treat them well; they turn happy with just two luxuries, rather than four (or six, as you might expect). This allow your cities to celebrate and grow with relatively few luxuries. This is one of the biggest advantages of huge expansion: more outraged citizens who readily become happy.

But what do I know? Many people here say that fundamentalism is by far the easiest way to win; I've never played it. Most people seem to think that trade caravans are the most important thing in the game; I almost never build a caravan for anything but to build a Wonder from. I've got to work on my roundedness.

Comment

No matter what your style.... you need to find a devine spot for you capital and pump out both HG and Colossus. While HG isn't really necessary, it acts as the colossus until the colossus is built. The two together are virtually unstoppable and allow you to progress quickly as well as expand exponentially.

ALL other cities are expanding and for me that means quasi ics. I like room for the core cities to grow so i don't like to much overlap. Once i have about 12 cities 8 will build caravans until later in the game.

Each city is supporting a worker for roads and or irrigation..... the other four cities keep expanding. Any civs on your continent must be expelled from existance when they start getting in the way.

I avoid large wars and any alliance with civs on different continents. However i will trade for maps to allow trade.

The SSC is key and i avoid the philo route as long as possible as i want Copernicus before that. I also avoid the feudal route as long as possible as well.

You want invention quickly..... then mono...... then you have your choice.... and this depends on how close your neighbors are and whether or not you have contained them.

I don't break records with this strat...... conquest or AC... but i do win EVERY time against the ai....

Now ..... depending on your world you will have to make some sort of modifications..... in fact its quite easy to win without any wonders except apollo......

Best advice i can give against the ai...... CARAVANS...... just keep pumping them out along with settlers in your outer cities.

The other advice i can echo is to not allow the ai to controll the game...... as the intelligent Scouse Gits 1&2 have stated before me.

Avoid waiting for the production to build city improvements.... i often find that rushbuilding them is more effective and remember not to waste money on an investment that doesn't pay off immediately

[This message has been edited by War4ever (edited April 02, 2001).]
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

You can build Gardens and Collosus in different cities.It is then very easy(20% to start it and usually can be cut back to 10% once started) for the Collosus city to celebrate "we love" in Monarchy early and that is very good.Trade routes between the 2 and you are off and running.You almost have 2 SSCs for the first half of the game.I can't seem to get Trade soon enough these days.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 03-30-2001 08:40 AM
          Next target is the Rome scenario .

Is it true?
          I'm pretty sure you will love it (and I shall be happy to hear from you afterwards).

------------------
          aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by solo on 03-30-2001 07:36 PM
            Just play, play, play. With practice you'll get real good and all the very excellent advice above will become second nature.

...and perhaps after 1000 years training you manage to land in 775AD
            (your piece of advice is the soundest I read on this forum in 2001)
            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Ah LaFayette, I feared we had lost you in the 'upgrade' - SG(2) believed the site was down and we have yet to hear from EST and ST ...

------------------
              Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
              "The Great Library must be built!"
              "A short cut has to be challenging,
              were it not so it would be 'the way'."
              - Paul Craven
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Do not be afraid of the AI. Learn to ask for tribute. The rules are these:
                The civ must not be hostile, or you will get war.
                The civ must be on the same continent as you.
                The date must be before 1750.
                You must not be in democracy or republic.
                The civ should have enough gold to give (100 or more)
                If you get war, don't panic, just ignore them for three turns, and peace is likely. If the AI offers a cease fire first, consider rejecting it; they likely will offer you gold. If you take the gold, ignore the offer of peace, and you will get the same amount(if they have any left) for peace.
                The point of this is to develop a cavalier and agressive approach.

Comment

Working...
                X