Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• global warming

well

what happens exactly when there is a global warming???

does any of you have a sav file to see what happens???

thanks

yes Jesus, you know why I´m asking for
    Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
    Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
    miguelsana@mixmail.com

AFAIK, the coastline stats turning into jungels and swamps.

------------------
    Proud member of the state of Israel.
    "There's room at the top they are telling you still, but first you must learn how to smile as you kill, if you want to be like the folks on the hill" - John Lennon

"Life is wasted on the living."
    -Douglas Adams

Comment

I don't have the saved game any more, but I let my pollution accumulate one time just to see what happened. The coastline gets changed and inland tiles (some but not all) change to grassland and desert. If you leave the pollution alone, global warming effects occur again after several turns. Eventually you end up with a desert/grassland/mountain planet with little ocean and your citizens all starve to death because of the lack of arable farm land.

------------------
      One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not skillful. Subduing the other's military without battle is skillful.

Sunzi, The Art of War
      One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not skillful. Subduing the other's military without battle is skillful.

Sunzi, The Art of War

Comment

hummmm

that´s interesting

so how do I do that
        lots of cities and a lot of pollution????
        how many turns do I need???
        I´ll try to do that game myself

but if any of you have a sav file I would really appreciatte
        Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
        miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

If you built an ARMY of engineers and keep your granarys bursting its just about possible to survive it with some sort of civilisation left at the end of it all, then march on Arrakis!
          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Global Warming can occur up to once every ten turns.

Terrain is converted in stripes (ya have to se it to know what I mean).

Grasslands become Plains
            Plains become Deserts
            Forests become Jungles
            Land near the coast becomes swamp

Hills, Mountains, Tundra, and Glacier are unaffected.

Comment

You should also note that terrain, meaning grassland, prairie and desert, that has swamp as it neighbour will eventually also turn into swamp.

------------------
              Mathias' Civ II Page
              http://members.nbci.com/thalys
              The Lost Geologist Blog
              http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Wasn't someone trying to make a scenario where you were on an "ice" world, and you wanted to get global warming? It involveds changeing the squares around so that something that was originally grassland in the normal game uould become glacier, and whatever it would change too would then be better terrain. A good idea if you ask me.

Comment

quote:

Wasn't someone trying to make a scenario where you were on an "ice" world, and you wanted to get global warming? It involveds changeing the squares around so that something that was originally grassland in the normal game uould become glacier, and whatever it would change too would then be better terrain. A good idea if you ask me.

that would be an interesting scenario..

thanks guys, I´ll try to do it in purpose
                  miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

I hardly ever played it - but wasn't the Mars! scenario that came on FW like that (beneficial warming?).

One scenario where global warming is rife is the After the Apocalypse that came with CiC. My humble observations of this game were uploaded in The Art of War.

Comment

Yah, it's pretty rough in Civ 2. Some (but not all) terrain squares are changed ... for the worse.

As William Keenan noted, interior flat land is converted to drier types (grassland --> plain --> desert). This happens in short parallel stripes (as if some giant demon scratched claw marks into the earth).

Also, as Qin Shihuangdi notes, the coastlines get wetter - I guess due to global warming melting the ice caps and flooding the coasts (no land squares become water however). The coasts become jungle and swamp (pretty unworkable).

I think (and it's only happened to me once so forgive me this lapse) that my terrain improvements were destroyed in affected squares (i.e. if a grassland square turned into a plains square, I lost any irrigation in that square too).

As you might imagine, your food production plummets. If you ever find yourself in this situation, it will take a LOT of effort (as johnmcd points out) to "rebuild". For a few turns all of your cities will starve. The best short term solution is harbors in your coastal cities as it will be a while before you can re-irrigate and hack through all that jungle/swamp.

Sorry, I don't have a save file for you, Shaka Naldur.

If you want to do it on purpose - I'd suggest using a saved game were you have nuclear weapons. They'll be faster at making pollution than (but could probably be augmented with) a bunch of shield producing cities with factories and some messy coal burning power plants. You need some patience - even with a lot of polluted squares it can take many turns for global warming to actually kick in.

Dune - Arrakis - desert planet ...

Comment

hmm, let me see if I have my save game.

I called it nuke world.

I just kept nuking, and nuking. almost every square was jungle, swamp, desert, hill, or mountains (besides ocean squares of course)

Comment

hmm I can't find it.

well play the ww79 scenario in conflicts as the chinese and watch the fireworks.

I tried beating the game as the Chinese (ie taking every city), but it was a struggle for my engineers to clear all the swamp and jungle from my coastline. When playing the US or USSR I can declare piece immediately and build up 20 howies and take most of the country in a few turns thus mimizing the nuking going on. But this is not possible with China (I think they start with only 1 howie!)

Comment

Working...
                          X