xxxo xxxo xxxo ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xxxo xxxo xxxo ...

starting with 4000BC this pattern indicates the turns which allow you to choose a new goverment when you´re in anarchy. after a couple of tests with different savegames I found out they´re always the same:

edit: the most surprising thing about it, this pattern is really simple. nevertheless it obviously hasn´t been detected before
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by oedo (edited August 20, 2000).]</font>
    justice is might

Good thinking!I have to test it out myself but you may have eliminated the 3 turn revolution.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I have been looking through some of the OCC tables and they seem to confirm your results. There are some anomalies, but they can most likely be attributed to typos in the logs or the tables.

Comment

wow, never thought to look for a pattern before. I'd focused mainly on having my capitol be the city producing the science needed for the govt. tech. It does still pose an interesting question for OCCers. Do you maximize taxes for up to 3 turns before the govt tech if you just missed the last window or do you go ahead and keep researching and then waste an entire round of trade in anarchy?

If you wait to discover the govt tech, you gain potentially significant gold, but lose some science, although no actual trade is lost. If you go ahead and discover the government, you lose 1 full round of trade in anarchy, but do have a little more science, potentially even another tech.

For 3 rounds the choice would seem to keep researching, especially going from Republic to Democracy.

For 1 round the choice would seem obvious to hold off the science, since you would lose 1 round of science anyway, but can gain 1 free round of taxes.

For 2 rounds, the situation may or may not dictate an obvious answer, so is open for debate

------------------
        April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
        Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Great job, I would have never thought of that. I guess it does make sense, I had wondered previously why sometimes it would take no turns and other times it would seem to take forever. Kinda makes SoL a little less useful (only a little though)

I have so much testing to do and so much time to do it in

------------------
          "You spam more about mao's post count than mao spams himself!" - A certain unnamed apolytoner

"And paul, hes a hopeless dork"... thanks a lot speer

"...Crazy paul..." - Pretty much everyone

Warning: this topic may unduly excite any hetrosexual virgin child men who read this

Comment

I think research can stay the same but you may want to wait a turn or 2 for a revolution.
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Time to test. I assume you did. This is a big find. I would have expected it from Xin Yu.
              Great Job. I can't believe no one has ever noticed this before. Unbelievably simple.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

God, it worked. I know I expected it to, but it's still a surprise. Exxxcccceeeelent.
                This will play into the stratagy.
                It's so simple.

RAH
                Great Job Sherlock.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Xin is only good for complicated stuff like how 20 engineers can change 1 square 3 times a turn

This is so simple its embarrassing I haven't noticed this pattern before.Prelim tests seem to confirm every 4th turn is the one.

Way ta go oedo!

Comment

Simply Amazing... Unbelievable!

Who would have thought... great job oedo.
                    Key knowledge to have. And who says we have nothing new to find out about civ!
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That is truly remarkable Oedo; it's cool to know that new things are still being found! Kinda makes you want to run around naked, yelling, "Eureka!" ...Or maybe not.

Comment

Way to go Sonder-Oedo!

Sometimes the most elegant explanation is the simplest.
                        Be the bid!

Comment

Absolutely brill - a great catch oedo

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 08-20-2000 07:47 PM
                            I think research can stay the same but you may want to wait a turn or 2 for a revolution.

It goes without saying now that you'd want to wait for the revolution. The question I posed was what to do in that 2 turn wait, or more specifically those 2 turns plus the turn that you would normally discover the tech. In the case of a well developed republic, or several worshipful alliances, keeping up the science rate may make sence. On the other hand, if the discovery is monarchy and you haven't made contact with anyone yet, you may want to delay science so that you discover it on the revolution turn. I see it as situationally dependant

------------------
                            April Cantor: Sire, in order to expand further we must first gain favor of the King

SCG: darn, I've never really got the hang of that tribute thing, guess it will be a long time until i make prince

*goes off and starts gifting gold and techs*
                            Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Most people are assuming a 3 turn wait. Does the xxx0 sill apply later in the game when turns are at 2 or 1 year intervals? If so, and I would assume that to be true, then you have more time to apply whatever stategies turn out to be appropriate.

But what an incredible find, oedo!!! Kind of like Apartame. BTW, how DO you pronounce your name?

------------------
                              Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                              Frodo lives!

Comment

Working...
                              X