victory on emperor - thanks to all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• victory on emperor - thanks to all

Thanks to all (especially Edward)for their advice on peaceful high level tech and wonder sequences.

I played on medium real world map, as russians, with 4 other civs, (germans. spanish, persians and zulus) restless tribes. Emperor level. Got bronze working at start.

I tried strategy outlined here and achieved supreme around 100 BC. Lost some momentum, was briefly passed by zulus. got ahead again around 900 AD. moved further ahead, but by 1850 realized tech pace was too slow for AC. (i sorta left the strat and went on my own after Republic) So i switched to military strat, Leos and SOL, went fundie, and won by conquest 1931.

Not quite a peaceful win, but my first win on emperor!!

On to diety!!!

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Congratulations - but do give ICS a go ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "The Great Library must be built!"
    "A short cut has to be challenging,
    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
    - Paul Craven
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

No, don't give ICS a go. It is an ABOMINATION I say an ABOMINATION.

The Zulus are worthy opponents. The Germans and Persians scarcely less so.

Mount Olympos beckons. Burn that midnight oil and GET THERE.

The Olympians will keep a tankard ready for your arrival and rehearse a paean of victory in your honour.

I recognonise that moment in a game when you lose impetus. Somehow there seems to be such a moment in each game and you have to sit back and try to re-think the next strategic objective.

Luckily that moment is sometimes matched by the moment when, suddenly, the game stops being an uphill struggle and instead you find that tech advances are rolling in every turn or two, cash in the bank looks healthier by the moment, your citizens start announcing what happy chappies they are instead of moaning all the time and military matters start looking after themselves.

That the dividing line between the one case and the other is narrow is one of the attractions of the game.

Comment

Great job, LOTM !

I agree, head out to deity! The only problem is the revolts, that'll give you a headache or two

------------------
        The fault lies not in our SMAC, but in our stars.
        ~ Vanguard, February 2, 2000.

Comment

Congratulations... Whether you land on AC, or just beat the snot out of everybody... GREAT JOB!

Now that you have mastered the stupid AI... it's time for you to play humans
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by East Street Trader on 01-31-2001 11:03 AM
            I recognonise that moment in a game when you lose impetus. Somehow there seems to be such a moment in each game and you have to sit back and try to re-think the next strategic objective.

Never happens in ICS!! Just build another 10 cities which will build another 10 caravans/Ironclads or Knights.

------------

SG(2)

"Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Lord of the mark, congratulations from me too! And good luck to your next deity challenge! Have you already thought what strategy you are going to choose? ICS, OCC or maybe perfectionist?

I have never played earth map and I'm thinking of playing England at deity/raging hordes. Someone told me that it would be the hardest

Comment

yes i have started a game on diety, trying a similar peaceful, expansionist strategy (size 5?)

Diety, Chinese, restless, full size earth map,5 civs.

I got great start, alphabet and ceremonial, 2 settlers. Quick tech jump. then blundered into war with indians, fell off my direction and fell to last
                gave up at 200 AD.

Couldnt resist that great start, fortunately had saved around 3000 BC, so have played over form there (sorta cheating, but oh well)have stayed in peace, number 2 (to greeks) in power at 400AD, good tech lead. Have colussus and HG, building copernicus. (greeks have lighthouse, aztecs have pyramids) Researching monotheism, to build mikes.

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

OK, this is stupid. I play at emperor all the time and I win all the time.

Time for Deity like lord of the mark.

I don't want to read any of the guides I have downloaded (just wanna find out meself).

But just one question before I go to the final level:

Is Hanging Gardens equally important as Mike in Deity?

Comment

You wimp, Lord of the Mark. You think winning at Emperor is a big achievement? Are you retarded?

------------------
                    Chaos, panic and disorder - My work here is done.

Comment

AH, for you turning on the computer is an achievement.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

quote:

Yes.If you are an expansionist then doubly so.
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by paiktis22 on 02-01-2001 09:58 PM

It's very important, you really get hard time without it. Especially, if you play ICS it's mandatory! A nice trick in ICS: when you have say over 21 cities you probably have two black pirates in 2-sized city. Then if you have ONLY HG as happiness wonder and NO military units in city HG ALWAYS converts that first black pirate to a happy face and you got a content city!

Comment

quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by Alexander's Horse on 02-01-2001 10:46 PM</font>
                            You think winning at Emperor is a big achievement?

My following remark is totally unnecessary because I believe that you intelligent folks here at Apolyton can give the AH's statement the value it deserves Nevertheless, I want to say this:

Winning the FIRST time at emperor IS a big achievement to ALL of us. Civ2 has so many features that mastering it demands playing many many games moving forward to harder levels. I'm sure that almost all here agree with me.

Besides, not all of us have played Civ2 from the start.. I started with it last autumn when I got the game from second-hand market. I DID play Civ1 a lot a few years ago so learning Civ2 was much quicker than if I had started with no experience of TBS-games.

So, Lord of the mark, be proud of your achievement and just ignore AH!
                            [This message has been edited by Marko_Polo (edited February 02, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by lord of the mark on 01-31-2001 09:03 AM

Thanks to all (especially Edward)for their advice on peaceful high level tech and wonder sequences.

I played on medium real world map, as russians, with 4 other civs, (germans. spanish, persians and zulus) restless tribes. Emperor level. Got bronze working at start.

I tried strategy outlined here and achieved supreme around 100 BC. Lost some momentum, was briefly passed by zulus. got ahead again around 900 AD. moved further ahead, but by 1850 realized tech pace was too slow for AC. (i sorta left the strat and went on my own after Republic) So i switched to military strat, Leos and SOL, went fundie, and won by conquest 1931.

Not quite a peaceful win, but my first win on emperor!!

On to diety!!!

And here´s the best news: deity is easier than emperor because of the two settlers you start with. go for hanging gardens and never become tired founding new cities. then it will be no problem.

justice is might

Comment

Working...
                              X