ICS Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS Question

I've read Dave's ICS strategy in the Great Library. It recommends building a warrior in each city. I have tried playing ICS twice and on both occasions, my warriors and cities were getting slaughtered by the barbs. The horsemen I've built aren't always in position to attack the barbs before they reach my cities. In fact, sometimes the barbs are from a hut my horsemen tipped.

Should I be building a phalanx in each city instead of a warrior? Or, is losing a number of cities and units just a cost of doing business under ICS?

I'll commonly evacuate the city, take my treasury down to around 100, and then pay them the 50 gold to stay away. That is usually cheaper than building a diplomat or military unit.

After I build the Great Wall and Leo's workshop. I can laugh at whatever they send my way. Their crusaders do nothing more than give me vet musketeers.

Comment

Tip huts with the first move of your exploring horsemen - then they can attack or run away with their second move. If the hut is on heavy terrain, I sometimes leave it for later (note that a hut inside a city radius will never yield barbarians), or tip it with a warrior or archer. If you explore systematically, the barbs are less likely to come bursting out of the black and surprise you.

Roads are the key to having your horses in position to respond to barbs. Station enough horses in your cities so you always have two horses able to attack each square adjacent to each city. Phalanxes aren't much help against barb archers and chariots.

Barbarians are the biggest early threat to an ICSer, but they can be dealt with. A lot of players welcome the appearance of barbs, because of the opportunity to cash in on the leader.

One other tip - avoid researching Chivalry too early, because that's what turns the barb pirates from archers to knights/crusaders.

Comment

Get writing fast. Use roads, a diplomat, and cash to recruit an army of former barbs. With a little luck and timing, you can use the last recruited barb to kill his own leader. If I fet caught with money in the treasury, I'll let the barbs take the city and have a diplo buy it back. NOT good for population and improvements, but usually good for a few really cheap units in the city.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 11-14-2000 01:38 PM
          One other tip - avoid researching Chivalry too early, because that's what turns the barb pirates from archers to knights/crusaders.

Excellent! I never new that. Thanks, Dave.

I still find it incredible the amount of knowledge one can gain from these forums.

------------------
          Frodo lives!
          Frodo lives!

Comment

DaveV, if i understand you correctly, then its one warrior and two horses per city and not the traditional two warriors and one horse?

Comment

No, most of the cities would have 2 warriors and no horses. Each strategically-located city with two horses could protect all other cities within 3 squares. Generally, my cities don't grow beyond size 2, so the third unit is out exploring and causing trouble instead of being stuck in the city.

Comment

Dave's ICS strategy does not mention building the Great Wall unless playing MP. Should I build it when playing against the computer as well?

Thanks very much to all for the replies above.

Comment

DaveV how do your horses survive those damm barb archers all the time much less attack twice if multiple units attack. I know two horses can kill archers but still, i find it difficult. Plus my cities grow too quickly for just two units i find

Comment

Mercantile,
                    Control your city size by building settlers - once the city reaches size 2 move production to shields and concentrate on settler production - also don't forget that Barb archers defend at 1 (not 2) so are easy meat for a horsey...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                    "The Great Library must be built!"
                    "A short cut has to be challenging,
                    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                    - Paul Craven
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

One more thing. I'm in my first ICS game now...have 110 cities, so the settlers from the middle of the empire have a long way to travel to the fringes; even with roads. I have just gotten Statue of Liberty and want to switch to Communism or Fundy. Problem: settler food support jumps from 1 to 2 and will cause settlers to disband or population losses in cities. This issue is not discussed in Dave's ICS Strategy Guide. Have I done something wrong?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 11-23-2000 09:03 AM
                        - also don't forget that Barb archers defend at 1 (not 2) so are easy meat for a horsey...

Is that so? I never seem to have experienced that. Could you tell us a little more?

Comment

Legman, it is a pretty safe bet that archers do in fact defend at one despite what the manual and stats state. They lose to horses all the time, however like everything else in civ, nothing is written in stone.

Yes, how does one do the monarchy to commie thing with all that extra food support ? I never ics as a strat, i am a perfectionist so i rarely go commie unless its wartime DaveV or Scouse Gits, you two seem to be masters of ics could you explain this to me.
                          [This message has been edited by Mercantile (edited November 26, 2000).]

Comment

I tried to do this Dave, and man i had so many settlers it wasn't funny. People were starvin all over the place, i am surprised my country didn't hang me for crimes against the state. I obviously need to watch what i am doing and prepare better for the shift to communism. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Thanks Dave. Like Mercantile, I have a truckload of settlers running around my world. I'll have to take good care not to lose them.

Thanks again for your valuable advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X