No announcement yet.

Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agressive exploration is important in OCC. The faster you find the AIs, the better the chance of allying with them. If you let them make contact with each other first, they will often go to war - and an AI will not ally with you if they are at war with one of your allies.

Comment

Well people, I just finished my first One City game.

My Goblins never formed an aliance or gave away tech, were at war with most tribes most of the time, didn't get Copernicus (the Zulus - all rivers - beat us to it, building it the same turn they got Astronomy), and had a mediocre starting position (only 3 specialties: 1 whale, 1 fish, 1 pheasant, mostly plains; no river; no nearby villages).

We landed on AC in 1979 just ahead of the Zulus who made their ship too large. We had all the tech, too, and plenty of spare food caravans left (never bothered to count them).

- Rib -
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I rarely use airports for trade. Am I doing things wrong? If I airlift a trade unit, it won't move or establish a trade route that turn. If I move by ship right into a port city, I can advance the freight and establish the route.

The airport thing is a real nuisance for one tile island cities. Island cities I do build airports on, but one tile islands can only be traded using transports.

Is this a bug? Is there a patch? I'm v2.42.

Also, can someone direct me to a description of Adam Smith's Infinite Trade "Cheat"?

Finally, I don't think your science bonus from caravans is wasted if you are nearly completed your beakers. Last night I completed about a dozen freights, with the hope of getting an advance mid-turn. Once the beakers got close to the end of the bar, they just stopped. Then next turn, a new size 1 city with 5 trade came up first (announcing harbour built) and poof, I had my advance. So like extra food and shields beyond the box, its just wasted.
        Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Units which travel by air are only available for use on the next turn. For one square islands you must have a transport on hand to "sleep" the freight and allow it to re-enter the city. Sail one square out and pop it in! Yes - a pain!
          -------------
          SG (2)
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Mad Viking:

If you are on a one continent world and you can connect all your cities with railroads airports are slower but less boring than railroads. On large multicontinent worlds airports are far superior to ships if you wish to move a freight units half way around the world.

With the Macintosh version a one island city requires a transport in the way you describe.

Excess flasks are wasted. Check your status before delivering a caravan or freight unit.
            If you can not think of a good reason to build something other than a caravan, build a caravan!

Comment

Personally, I like trade. Those extra trade arrows come in very handy, it allows you to increase your luxuries to the point where you are getting We Love the _____ Day! and then your city grows nice and fast, especially under Democracy. And I agree with building internal routes if you don't have a neighbour close by, and in MP games. What I also like is if I get a city that will build infinite caravans. It is rare but it does happen, usually with Hides. Just keep rolling them out.

------------------
              Kitana
              Shogun of the Japanese
              Kitana
              Shogun of the Japanese

Comment

Mad Viking:
                I bumped the Repeated Commodity Trade Strategy thread for you.

------------------
                Old posters never die.
                They.j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y...
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Another way to deal with trading with one tile island cities is to airlift in a frieght and re-home it to that city, then airlift it back out next turn. Some consider re-homing freights a cheat because you can't do it from the regular menu but have to click on the unit in the city screen to get the pop-up menu to do it.
                  yes

Comment

Working...
                  X