Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I am a man!

Hot damn! (Can I say that here?)

I feel like Cliff Robertson as Charly Gordon in "Flowers For Algernon" when he finally beat the mouse in a race.

I won a game of OCC!!! And no cheating. I gave that up months ago.

It just amazes me how much of a learning curve continues to go on with this game, too. It took me about ten tries to understand the wisdom behind WLTxD. Then, the first time I got close to winning, I launched my ship first, estimated arrival 2018, only to see somebody, (I think it was the cursed Babylonians) launch and reach in 2016. I had forgotten Fusion Power!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

The next close time, I researched Fusion Power, launched first, only to see the cursed Souix (sorry if there are any real ones out there) conquer my city on the very next turn.

Well, I finally did it. I researched, I launched, I fought off the Russians, and I landed. Ta daaaa!! But don't worry, Paul. My landing date was 2018. Your record is still safe. And how!

Anyway, now my question is, will I want to go back to a "normal" game? The last two games I've started since the win have both been OCC also. Have I created a monster within? And will I be able to forego that most beloved of all wonders in an OCC game, Shakepeare's Theater, when I play that next "normal" game?

Oh, well, I have arrived (no pun intended). Thanks for all the help along the way. It truly was a team effort.

------------------
    Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
    Frodo lives!

Congrats! although I am afraid a man is something I will never be...
    Apolyton Empress
    "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

Congratulations! It is amazing how fulfilling an OCC victory can be, eh?

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 07-08-2000 12:10 PM
      Anyway, now my question is, will I want to go back to a "normal" game? The last two games I've started since the win have both been OCC also. Have I created a monster within? And will I be able to forego that most beloved of all wonders in an OCC game, Shakepeare's Theater, when I play that next "normal" game?

Ah, that is the question, isn't it?
      The only way to stop a terrorist, is with a bullet.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Empress on 07-08-2000 03:14 PM

I know a guy in Brooklyn...
        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Cool! There are two things that helped me get from landing in the late 1900's/early 2000's, to landing in the mid/late 1800's (on just about any small random map).

They are:

1.) Caravans
          and
          2.) Colosseum

Caravans are so important this game. Make Trade discovery the priority after Monarchy and Writing, and then, when it is discovered, basically drop what you're doing and build 3 caravans for your trade routes. And then, after that, you never actually build wonders, you build 6 caravans for Copernicus, 6 more for Shakes's, etc. That way, you can rush-buy a chunk of the caravan and end up building the wonder quicker.

The second thing is the colosseum, which I view as one of the most under-rated city improvements in OCC. Most of my early games, I was content to try to skip the colosseum and just "tough it out" until Medicine and Shake's was built. But with the colosseum, you can immediately celebrate we-luv until size-12 (with Republic, a temple, a marketplace, an aqueduct, and mysticism). A size-12 city can do just about everything better than a size-7 city.

I know, at the time of construction discovery, there seems to be so much going on, and it is tempting to just skip the colosseum, but it really makes you go faster.

Edit: changed "early 1800's" to "mid-late 1800's" after trying it yesterday. heh heh.
          [This message has been edited by vik (edited July 10, 2000).]
          The only way to stop a terrorist, is with a bullet.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mao on 07-08-2000 11:07 PM
            I know a guy in Brooklyn...

Mao: do you post everywhere in apolyton???

------------------
            Apolyton Empress
            My first Web Page
            Vacation Pics!
            Apolyton Empress
            "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

It's just as I feared. I'm having a hard time going back to "normal". And, yes, vik, it is EXTREMELY fulfilling. I never would have believed it possible to win a game like this. I'm from Missouri and I have been "shown".

BTW, Paul. Watch out. I just won two more games of OCC, landing in 2011 and 2010. I might give you a run for the record sometime in the next millenium.

------------------
              Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited July 09, 2000).]</font>
              [This message has been edited by kcbob (edited July 09, 2000).]
              Frodo lives!

Comment

Well done kcbob! I fear that, for you, 'normal' civin' is now a thing of the past - even when I set out to perform a good old Fundy sleaze I now find myself building laundries and seeking to change to Republic early -- fortunately OCC is such great fun you will soon get over the longing for things past...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Empress on 07-08-2000 03:14 PM

yeah, i saw it on TV. This doctor who can fix you right up. I think it even works and all when he's done. Money back if you don't like it. It also comes with a 3 year/15 babe warranty.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean, the first succesful OCC. I recall, the first time it seemed i would reach AC before 2020, the damn Russians broke an alliance that had lasted about five milleniums, the next turn they attacked. The spaceship wasn´t finished by then, so I had to waste too much time on city defence...

But don´t be afraid, I have managed to return to normal Civing, thanks to the fact that I had begun a game with good chances for a new personal percentage record before I started playing OCC. So it was a quite short period of time I spent only on OCC. (It took two weeks of ecstatic gaming to reach AC in 1903...).

But its still a secret how you can manage it BEFORE 1800 !!! Not thinking about giving up...

Comment

Working...
                    X