scenario walkthrus/hints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scenario walkthrus/hints

Did anyone every generate a site with walkthrus/hints for the Civilization II scenarios?

I found a few tricks one some of the ones I tried. For example, in the WW1 scenario, as Germany, I ally with the USA asap. Their navy neutralizes Great Britain, and I can focus on the land war with Russia.

I know this is probably old news, but I am curious.

I know someone did, but it escapes me right now... check out the hosted scenario league threads, maybe it was PolarisGL????
    Be the bid!

Comment

Some of the old, bad microprose scenarios have glaring things about them:

the Conflicts in Civilization world war 1 scenario: Build 75mm guns and only attack along the French railroads (as the Central Powers) it's impossible to lose. World War 1.3 is available here, it's much better.

the default world war 2 scenario that comes with civ2: turn one, build a transport, move ships to near or in Amsterdam, use the Paris and the money you get from selling your sewer systems to buy 5 bombers. turn 2: load 8 armour on the transport, use your ships, and bombers, to take London on turn 2. After that nothing can stop you.
      Better world war 2: Global world war 2 available here, usually the 'secret' in world war 2 scenarios for the germans is to build lots of 88s they're always super units.

MARS scenario on CiC: go for Telescience. It's Philosophy. Go for genetic alteration, it gives you Sports, best early unit. Change government to pantisocracy.

Red Front: best scenario, but takes a long time. You better be good to play this. Sell improvements you can't use, buy airports in those wacky Ural factory cities and in Leningrad, Stalingrad. Red Guards are great units, way better than 56mm gun or artillery. Build them. Make fortresses on some of your weak rivers with labourers. Do not attack in summer of '41 it is a waste, just build lots of t-34s and send them to Moscow for your counterattack in winter '41.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Another scenario commement...
        I was playing the Civil War scenario in CiC (as the Union). I suddenly found that I could only build the cannons and the seige artillary. I could not set any city to build calvary or entrenced inf. If a city was building a non-artillary unit, it would continue to do so. The artillary units are actually fine to attack and defend. The cannon had about the highest defense. The siege artillary has the highest attack. The AI almost always had about three cannon and 2 entrenced inf. (It seems like they could build anything)

The second thing was that I killed Robert E. Lee (actually HE attacked one of my fortified cannons...) If Lee dies, I thought that was an automatic defeat for the South. I ended up with a stalemate, (about 2 cities short of a victory) I figured with Lee dead I should get a marginal victory.

I think I could have done better if I was not limited to slow moving cannons. I had some rail in the North, but the South had very little to take advantage of.

Biggest thing that drove me nuts was the Neutrals (Kentucky) building these stupid little cities in my road ways. Slowed me down even more.

Any other insights?

Comment

There's some old site with strategies for WW79 and Mongols I believe.

The Microprose scenarios are fairly simple.

About your Civil War problem: Did you acquire a Confederate tech either from them somehow or the Indians? Like the one that allows you to build King Cotten? If so, it probably nullified your customized units.
          Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

shmily: I played this fairly recently and found it to be incredibly easy (as Union). Many of the advanced units are not available for awhile due to only receiving the required advances about once a year. These would include advanced infantry and cavalry, and entrenched infantry.

To win, I kept the science rate at default which allowed me to build up the gold, cranked out numerous engineers at Pittsburgh and started building railroads into the South right away. Then I did the classic three-pronged attack: from Cincinnati/Indianapolis to take the Kentucky cities first; from St.Louis/Louisville to work down the Mississippi; and then from Washington/Baltimore to attack first the Valley cities and then Richmond, et al.

BTW, I found that artillery was nearly useless in this scenario.

According to the messages in the game and the readme, killing RELee would amount to no worse than a minor victory for the Union. At the Emperor level, I ended up getting all but 5 minor cities in 3 years.

Someone mentioned that the Civil War scenario here at CSC is much better and perhaps more challenging. After playing CW from CiC, I swore off most of the historical scenarios on the CD and will only play the ones here at apolyton (and similar sites).

Comment

hehe, just goes to show you shan't trust no one! Why people make and trust alliances when playing Civ2 SP is beyond me. The point is to clobber anyone who stands in your way. The only time I make alliances is so I can break it later and get my reputation lowered (which is a worthy goal ).

Comment

I had the same problem when playing the North. I could only build cannons. I couldn't build infantry and calvary. It seems the scenario on the conflicts disc is bugged. I corrected it myself. The north started out with one of the 'South's' Techs. Kind Cotton I believe. Somehow the techs were screwed up.

Comment

This confirms what I figured my big mistake was. I made friends with Kentucky.

I had researched all the techs and was starting building the advanced units. I think there are only three or four techs, and then you research "future tech 1". At that point I zeroed out tech, and put it all in luxury and taxes. i had ingnored Kentucky up to this point. I was moving quickly down the east coast. I then made a treaty peace with Kentucky, giving me a tech.

After that I could no longer produce advanced units in my cities unless they were already doing so. Being friends with Kentucky also led to their units wandering around my territory and building cities in the middle of my railroads.

The treaty was worthless, because they would never go to war with the South.

Yes, I am embarassed...I had just taken Napolean and the Kaiser easily thru Europe in the last two scenarios I played.

Comment

Working...
                  X