Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occ

Hello All

I've been reading the posts on Apolyton and CivFanatics for a couple of months now - ever since I got hooked on Civ after picking it up for a tenner on the PS.

After reading the "Paulicy" and numerous other threads, I thought I'd give OCC a go. I was amazed at how different (and more enjoyable it makes the game). So this is a little tribute to you guys to say thanks for making Civ even better!.

I haven't actually won this scenario yet: first game the Russians got mad at me in about 1900 and that was that; second game I'm doing well but it's now about 1870 and I'm worried that I can research everything. So a few questions:

1) how much tech do you give to the other civs. 2nd game I have only been giving to keep people worshipful, but have always traded. 1st game I gave all the time but people got too advanced I thought.
    2) which specials do you build on - 2nd game I'm on 3 bananas and 1 silk.
    3) coastal or landlocked town?

Incidentally on the PS, you can almost play a whole game in one day - as opposed to about 2 weeks when you play normally!

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Moosie

1.Generally speaking-everything up to but not including Flight.Not written is stone.Some judgement is needed.Sometimes I quit gifting at Automobile.Sometimes Spaceflight is gifted.

2.Prefer trade specials and whales.Gold,wine,silk etc.Your site with bananas is good but you''ll want to mine that fruit into silk at some point

3.Coastal preferred but not vital.Nice to get a harbor and extra trade from water.Boats are nice but not vital.Caravans can be delivered over land or a barb vessel can be bribed.

Yes indeed.Depending on how mathematical you get, an OCC game can be done in 2-6 hours.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Re: Occ

[1] That depends. If I know (from Marco Polo) they are researching something I want, or if I can guess that they are from the tribe's preferences, I don't give them anything except Monarchy/Republic/Democracy. If I know/guess what they are researching and I have it, I give them that tech, and any other tech that may help them select something new that I want. The purples, however, will generally get everything I have, even way beyond flight if it's a fast game.

[2] Wine is the best, eventually, but it takes some time to develop. Gold, Silk, Whales and Spice are all excellent, but a rivered Coal or Peat can be great as well. Remember, however, that all specials can be changed. Mine your Fruit into Silk and you'll be doing fine. (Note btw that engineers can change Silk into grassland and then into wine, or Buffalo into grassland and then Coal, but it takes too long to be worth the effort).
      Further, it is often very important that the town square is grassland, not plains.

[3] On a large map, I prefer ocean access. Not only for early contact and overseas trade, but also to tip all those huts.
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

With regards to gifting techs, I would refer you to the post by samson on key civs, except that I don't know exactly how to do that other then to narrow your search to articles by samson and put OCC or AC in the search topic area. Actually, if you read all of those posts, they would probably answer all of your OCC questions (even ones you didn't know that you had.) Other than the key civ, and after you have at least tried to form alliances with the other civ though gifting, it is to your advantage not to give too many techs away early b/c it "poisons" the AI civ's ablitiy to research key "trading techs" like iron working and seafaring. For example, if you cannot trade for seafaring, you have to either trade for or research map making and pottery to even have a chance to research seafaring. If you can avoid researching map making and pottery all together, you drastically cut down on the amount of beakers you need to expend to research techs in the future. Of course, some would argue that the benifits of map making outweigh the research cost, but one is hard pressed to find the usefulness of pottery in an OCC game. The same applies for the bane of every OCC player's existance, the dreaded warrior code.

Comment

Great advice, happy 2 B here.

The mystery of the "Key Civ":

How to calculate beakers needed now that you know the mystery:

Since I rarely go for early landing or OCC, I sometimes "poison" the AI's research with extraneous knowledge when they're heading for a wonder I want.

Comment

Just saw a suggestion in the civ3 forum; what do you think about a OCC size one "anarchist" game?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
            X