Barbarians Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarians Everywhere

Was playing 2.42 last night on Prince level and had a mass uprising of barbarians. They spawned in about 6 different locations, but there must of been about 50 units. They really wrecked my plans to take it to the "Evil Vikings" as I had to divert a number of newly produced tanks to get rid of the barbarians, and then a number of Engineers to fix the approx 20 tiles of road/rail that they dismantled for me.

This happened in a section of my empire where the cities are fairly far from each other, and all of the spawn points were away from the cities.

I read the section of the GL on barbarians, and it did give some insight, but it didn't seem to address if there is a way to predict where or when the barbarians might spawn?
    "Pessimism: Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it." - demotivational poster

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker

No one seems to have developed a formula for where, when, or how many barbs you'll get. The spawning of pirates has been batted around. Incidentally, keep a couple of spies in your rear area and respond to an uprising by buying the barbs rather than killing them. They make great backup troops!
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I got one barb uprising the other day at Emperor/Raging Hordes which consisted of at least 20 units by itself. Luckily, I was playing OCC, and I just pulled in my horns and waited for them to smash themselves against my invincible warriors.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In ToT, Barb spawn points are definately specified (you can even specify them yourself), and from what I've seen, it is no different in classic Civ2. Once you've seen barbs spawn from a given tile once, they will always spawn from that tile (or rather, randomly spawn from the small group of pre-selected tiles), unless you park a unit on top of that tile (works until the unit is removed), or build a city so that the tile will be inside the city radius (works until the city is removed).

Usually, when a find a good spawn point, I'll park a few spies nearby if its closer to other civs, and bribe away the barbs; if the point is closer to my civ, but not in a particularly rich or sensitive location, I'll build a city nearby--but not too close--and let the barbs take it, once again providing a great NONE unit opportunity.

I once discovered, to my chagrin, I had built a major 'railroad' line linking two parts of my civ through heavy mountain terrain right on top of a spawn point. This was in ToT Fantasy, and the spawn point was favored by Slithering Horrors (think unbribable land unit with battleship stats(!)). Once I realized what was going on, I parked a low-cost unit on top of the point; no more troubles after that.

It was that episode that made me recognize what was going on with spawn points in the first place...
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

For me it's OK when they spawn on grassland or near the coast and there are sth. like 3 of them but I hate when they spawn deep in the mountains and start attacking my cities on and near the rivers (Himalayas and the Indus river in Europe.mp)
          Then I have to cancel building settlers and start building troops (waisting my money). These mountain barbs are tough to fight on the mountains themselves and they usually spawn in great numbers. They just become annoying and sometimes even the air raids don't help me.

Comment

Working...
          X