Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming a city "NONE"

What kind of effect does this have?
    When you laugh, the world laughs with you.
    When you cry, the world laughs at you.

None?

No, really I don't see any reason why that result in any problems or so. It's just a name you give a city.

However, to absolutely certain of this why not name one of your cities "None"? Then we'll see what happens. My bet: nothing.
    No wait I will try myself...
    The Lost Geologist Blog
    http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Alright, I've tried that now and nothing happened. No chaos, crashes or funny things what so ever.

Although I would not be so sure about this for making scenarios. But on the other hand why should there be problems with this?
      Note: I will not risk my scenario just to find out.
      The Lost Geologist Blog
      http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

It might make it tricky to track which are your non units and which ones are from the city of "NONE".Can't think of any other detrimental effects.
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I don't know.
          Question: what if you name your city Seoul?
          Probably same thing.
          My life, my rules

Comment

I'm guessing that the hope is that units from this city will be treated like "NONE" units. That doesn't appear to happen.

Comment

A common MP tactic is to change the name of your capital to your second city and vice-versa. If your opponent doesn't have an embassy is sometimes leads him into attacking the wrong city. Unfortunately, it doesn't work against the omniscient AI.

------------------
              Vote Equity
              http://www.equityparty.ab.ca
              Personal home page
              Business home page
              About.com site

Comment

is it cheating to name all your cities the same name...... i know there was a debate about this but i dont remember the results
                Seems like dirty pool to me.

------------------
                Casualties are part of war.... It's ok to die by the humdreds if your foe will perish by the thousands

Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

There have been lots of thread about this one. The master Xin's trick was still my favorite. When you discover a city of your opponents before they find one of yours. Change the name of your closest city to the city name of your opponents, that way if he's checking the location of his troops through the city screen he will think that there are no cities around because it will keep saying near his city.
                  I personally don't believe anything to do with city naming is cheating. Some of the tricks have had hilarious outcomes. Intelligence is everything. Anything you do to confuse somebody should be fair game. I personally don't do it much, but since I don't do it often, if I do it, it is not expected. Which is what the game is all about.

RAH
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I must say that Rah is one of the funniest city namers around.Try to get that embassy and see what he has come up with that night.Funny stuff.

I remember stumbling across Ferrets II.Sacking it(undefended new city).Killing a German settler next turn.Then suddenly there were 5 Ferrets II and 6 Berlins.lol
                    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Thank you, I do enjoy getting creative. I usually don't name my cities the same, but that night, I had a slow start and was caught with my pants down. I was looking for any confusion i could get so you couldn't triangulate the loc of my capital. I guess bird did the same thing with berlins. I also love alliances when you trade maps often and see how your ally has named and renamed his cities. While Xin always did it as part of strategy but was still entertaining, Bird and I like to inject a little humor. I trades maps with Bird once to see that he had named a city "Mingsucks". Yes Ming was in the game.

RAH
                      Lord of the Ferret Empire.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Geesh, you guys have made a mountain of a molehill. Very entertaining--I fear you multidudes.

Aurelius
                        Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
                        >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

I always paly with my city names, sometimes in sheer desperation I totally remove the name andleave them nameless, makes it impossible to use goto command, and also you cnat scroll through your citys from city window ,, but sure does keep them guesiing

------------------
                          Rasputin The Mad Monk,
                          Ra Ra Rasputin, Lover of the Russian Queen

Comment

You guys are nutty.

I want MP!!!

------------------
                            Ah man! Ghandi! New game.

-Genghis Al
                            Don't invade Russia in the winter time.

Comment

I once renamed ALL my cities to NONE. (150 cities)

i was so confused and tierd aterwards, because, especially, of caravans...
                              i ended trashing the game.

you can use the go to function if your cities all don't have name: you get a list of blank spaces, one for each city and listed descending by founding date (cities funded on the same turn remain in the order they were fund)

oh, and you can rename forgein cities by infiltrating them with a spy.

------------------
                              Hodad's First Body
                              Alien Infiltrate
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X