My god, what have you guys wrought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My god, what have you guys wrought?

Been awhile since I was last here and what do I see?

Deity+5?? (after reading about this, is this really that much harder?)

OCC Size 4?

OCC Size 1????? (I can't find this thread, is this for real?)

384AD Landings????

Sheesh, what's next, No-City 200AD landing?

I felt the same way after being away for a couple of months. I don't have much interest, or patience, to try one of the challenges. More power to those who go for the records, but I'd still rather play civ for the "experience." Do you know what I mean? I want to be a character in the game itself, instead of feeling like just a micromanaging, mouse clicker. I don’t know…maybe I'm a minority voice on this.
    "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Welcome back, Steve.

Incredible events indeed.

Have a look too at some of the fruits of the scientific analysis folk. Tech gifting has been bottomed (exposing a bit of truly loopy programming); oedo sussed out the avoidance of periods in anarchy when changing gov.t and there's a host of other stuff.

I don't quite agree that micromanagement lies at the heart of the early finish achievements. Its more to do with taking the OCC lessons and applying them to produce strategies which achieve an advance per turn from an early stage.

But, boy, was this board humming for a while (gone a bit quite with summer under way).

Comment

Originally posted by East Street Trader

I don't quite agree that micromanagement lies at the heart of the early finish achievements. Its more to do with taking the OCC lessons and applying them to produce strategies which achieve an advance per turn from an early stage.
        Didn't mean for it to sound that way. I agree with you. All players must micromanage, at one level or another, in order to be successful. It just seems that lately it has been taken to an extreme in order to break some records.

OCC changed the way we all play the game, that's for sure. I'm just saying that when I play this game, I'm looking for something a little more than doing something quicker and better. Experiencing the game is what I'm trying to talk about. One advancement per turn feels great, but if it's a chore to get there, forget it.

Of course, I may be completely off topic. This is the Strategy board after all...
        "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

It is really amazing how much we have learned, and well people have used this knowledge... if only civilization in real life could be this effective, the smartest ruling the world... imagine that....
          I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

if the smartest ruled the world id be a street cleaner
            Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible

Comment

Both ways of playing are tremendous fun. After many micromanaged games in going after early landings, it's a great break trying OCC on deity +5 without really trying. What an adventure! Everyone should be trying this, just for the fun of seeing those gigantic AI cities!

Comment

The size 1 OOc is for real. The funniest thig was the screenshot of the top 5 cities. The OOC city was named "midget"!

Comment

Yes, it's real. Although "midget" was done on an edited map with a city founded on the 0-meridian so it could work 2 specials.

Here's a OCC size1 on a random map, deity, 7 civs, raging hoards.
                  Spaceship launched in 1824, landed AD 1839.

Yours truly,
                  the micromanaging mouse clicker.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, could you post a link to the logs for OCC size 1?

Comment

OCC size1 was never an official fortnight game, but the logs to EOL's "midget" game and my first attempt are in the GL index under "A". (If you haven't seen the GL yet, check it out.)

OCC1 isn't hard to win and gold isn't really necessary, any trade special will do. What it demonstrates though is that any random start can be won by Spaceship. Just wander until you find a trade special or two, build a single city, stabilize the population at a low level, form alliances and focus on research.

samson

Comment

Please give the link to the cute screenshot of midget or better yet repost it...

Comment

GP - your wish is my command --- with acknowledgement to EOL -
                          Attached Files
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                            GP - your wish is my command --- with acknowledgement to EOL -
                            Anytime
                            "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching."

Comment

Working...
                            X