MY MY How Things Have Changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY MY How Things Have Changed

Things have sure changed since the game first came out. I had a few spare minutes on my hands, and I went to the the CIV II section of this site and checked out HINTS & TIPS. What is there are a lot of strategy and tips that were written many moons ago.

go to http://apolyton.net/civ2/
    and choose hints and tips

I was in tears, I was laughing so hard.

Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of real good tips out there, but we've been playing so long, we don't consider them tips. At the time, I'm sure they were very good but things have sure changed. I highly recommend that you take a few minute and download them. This is no way intended to make fun of the authors, but an attempt to show how much our knowledge and stratagies have evolved. I'm sure if anyone had suggested some of the early landings in OCC, they would have been burned to the stake as heretics.

Some of my favorites.
    Three different times I read that if you let the AI build the GL, the game is basically over.

There was one on conquering the world that had the following comments about these wonders.

Colossus - Not particularly useful at any level. Let someone else invent it and then take it from them.

Copernicus Observatory - Not useful at any level.

Oracle - Very useful at higher levels.

Issac Newton’s College - Not useful. (Since we don’t plan to develop science)

SETI Program - Not useful.

Now granted this was based on world conquest and there were disclaimers, but it was still amusing.

Most of the discussions on the wonders were very entertaining. One person even thought that HG was a reasonably useless wonder.

I won't spoil the fun by listing others of my favorites.

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Let's just say we're a bit farther up the tech tree than that...thanks to all the Einsteins working here in our virtual SSC.
    "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

After Monarchy, make a beeline for Navigation. If Navigation isn't available, you might want to go for Trade.

Pottery is useful because it gives you the ability to build granaries.
      I actually thought he was going to say Hanging Gardens, but nope.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

(Wonders

2-11-1: Must Haves
        ---------------------
        Pyramids, Great Library, Leonardo's Workshop, Michaelangelo's Chapel, Women's Suffrage, Hoover Dam, Great Wall.

2-11-2: Nice To Haves
        ---------------------
        King Richard's Crusade, Oracle, Copernicus's Observatory, Magellan's Voyage, SETI project, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Cure for Cancer, United Nations.

2-11-3: Not Really Bothered
        ---------------------

Hanging Gardens, Lighthouse, Shakespeare's Theatre, Marco Polo's Expedition, Apollo Project, Manhattan Project, Sun Tzu's Academy.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

The one that cracked me up said if you want to win at Deity level, change rules.txt.

I think every Wonder list I've ever seen has always been in the same format -- the must haves, the usefuls, the worthless. And every list always reflected a style of play, not an absolute truth.

Has anyone ever written a Wonder commentary that simply tells what each one is good for and what strategic goals it helps to meet?

Comment

Originally posted by samson
            The one that cracked me up said if you want to win at Deity level, change rules.txt.
            Yes, I had forgotten that one.

But I have to admit, that depending on what your goals are, each wonder would change in importance to you. Having Apollo on the "never really bother list" obviously didn't come from someone trying for AC.

Since I play MP, only a couple of wonders are usually not built.

1. Eiffel Tower, hahahhaha
            2. Oracle, since it expires too soon and human players are rushing to build jsb unlike the AI.
            3. King Richard's since we're usually playing 2x production

And depending on the number of players.

4. Marco Polo, When we're only playing 3 or 4 players on a small world, diplos are cheaper.

5. For 2 or 3 player games the Great Library is seldomly built.

6. For 2 or 3 player games on small maps with large continents, the lighthouse is usually just an afterthought, but is built more often the GL or MP. Magellons is a different story

Every other wonder supports some type of strategy, most of which are pretty obvious. military/research/growth

RAH
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
            X