No announcement yet.

Wonders: Integral errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without happiness wonders at Deity, the only way to keep any level of happiness is to go commie or fundy, or to raise luxury rates. For the latter, three high continuing rate routes goes a long way toward helping produce enough luxuries to create happy folk to offset the unhappy ones. Therefore, if new high value commodities become available in cities with 1 or 2 gold per turn routes, then by all means build the caravan and send it to a foreign city. That the foreign city actually demands this good is a bonus to this part of the strategy, since it's not the bonus, but the continuing rate that counts. If in Democracy, don't forget those courthouses, either.

All this said by an SP who seldom misses Mike's or Bach's. The above strategy will keep you in the game in SP, but is expensive since you'll need lots of cathedrals and coliseums. Suspect that would be very limiting in the wargame the MP folks play.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Typical 4 person MP game
      One person gets HG
      One person gets mics, and then usually jsb unless he belines for invention.
      One person gets SOL and goes into communism.
      The last person builds a lot of trade routes. (and whines alot )

Granted most everyone is building trade routes, but it's more critical for the fourth. But after playing 100s of games, you're that fourth person enough to realize that while it makes the game more difficult, it's not a reason to quit, there is still plenty of game left.

RAH
      If every game was easy, why would we still be playing it after all these years?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Trade routes between two of your own cities, that are relatively large and connected by roads can yield 4 or 5 arrows per route, I've found this can be very useful, especially if your neighbors aren't kind toward trade routes, going republic will help boost this a lot, problem is if you're playing ICS it is quite hard to support all those units, not so much if its double production.
        I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

About those trade routes...

rah:
          I presume this is in double production, and the person with the trade routes also goes for Shakespeare and Copernicus?

------------------
          Old posters never die.
          They justfadeaway
          Old posters never die.
          They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

yes 2x1x
            The observatory yes, after colosus. In fact I was the fourth player the other night, losing my second city the turn it was founded. (Thanks Berz) I actually built the observatory and had not yet discovered writing. Never done that before.
            Amazingly enough, Shakes is not a big priority in 2x MP games. If you build a ssc in 2x, happiness is never really a problem because of the high trade, especially after a few caravans. There are many other wonders that will have a bigger impact early on.

Granted if we continued more games, , I'm sure shakes would be built at the begininning of the second session by someone.

RAH
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah,

Thanks for the insight into MultiPlayer. I've never played before and always wondered how those games went. I imagined a continual conquering and crushing of cities in a bloodbath of chariots and diplomats. Nice to know that some wonders do get built.

Comment

note that this is a matter of playing style.

Understood that early caravans can be as useful for trade routes as for wonders. BUT - that means careful attention to what commodity i build, make sure to send it to demanding city, preferably foreign and far away, and carefully check for changes in commodity demands. For those of us who get bored with micromanagement its so much easier to just build a wonder (what commodity - who cares - coal is fine! no need to check the awkard trade adviser)

LOTM
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

lord of the mark, In MP games, we usually play No Alliances. Which means that if you haven't made an "arrangement" most players will not allow you to land that caravan in one of their cities. Unless it's by the sea and you can offload, it doesn't happen. It's fun killing your opponents caravan just outside your city, knowing he wasted 50 shield and many years moving it. Or sinking their loaded ships and destroying 140 shields of production.

RAH
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    lord of the mark, In MP games, we usually play No Alliances. Which means that if you haven't made an "arrangement" most players will not allow you to land that caravan in one of their cities. Unless it's by the sea and you can offload, it doesn't happen. It's fun killing your opponents caravan just outside your city, knowing he wasted 50 shield and many years moving it. Or sinking their loaded ships and destroying 140 shields of production.

RAH
                    The ferrets speak the truth. Many "arena" games do not have caravan trading so you need to use ships or build internal routes. Republic with maxed luxuries can make up for no happy wonders. After awhile you reduce the luxuries and your fine and you have grown. Most people WLT*D asap in mp. Monarchy just ins't good enough to win consistently anymore...

not unless you run across a mad ics'r

even so he needs to catch the quick growth guyz or he is out of luck......if you let quick growth players get suns your in deep trouble if the guy has a sense of skill.

However it all depends on the rep of your rivals..... rep (right or wrong) decides how you build..... last thing you want as a neighbor is a feisty warmonger with an attitude problem
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                    X