does playing other TBS make you a better Civ player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does playing other TBS make you a better Civ player

I burned out on Civ 2 almost a year ago, having reached a level where I could often, but not always, win on deity. (I prefer rational perfectionist, moderately pacifist approach)

After burn out i spent a fair amount of time playing SMAC and Imp2. I couple of weeks ago i went back to Civ2, and, without really getting warmed up again, won a game on deity - by conquest, and not early, but not on a particularly favorable map either.

SMAC seemed to have given me more tolerance for micromanagement, and Imp2 a better sense for outwitting the AI, I think.

Anyone else find this?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I guess it can work in both directions. For example, I have MOO2 and when I play it I often find myself "translating" the game's features into Civ II terms to better "understand" the game. This is probably not a good way to play MOO2, but I still enjoy that game a lot.

Carolus

Comment

Playing most of the old Avalon Hill games was very good to teach you the ZOC concept and how to take advantage of it in planning open field warfare.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think I still see the mid-continent bottlenecks from "Blitzkrieg" clear as day in my nightmares...

Comment

Working...
        X