How is waste calculated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is waste calculated?

I haven't been able to find anything on this subject in the GL. Yesterday, while toying around with a patch that makes despotism more worthwhile, I noticed that waste is reduced by having the city in question linked to your palace city with a road (more if it's a rail road). It seems the road has to follow a certain pattern that sometimes follows a straight line and sometimes follows a slightly curved route. Does anyone know more about this?

(in the GL) shows how waste and corruption are calculated.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...357#post374357 (also in the GL)

Shows the valid road patterns and some tricks on how to tell without the pattern.

Why make despotism better? There should be some incentive to get out of it as quickly as possible.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

One value of Despo: for each citizen, you get a unit free of shield support. Once the city is size 4+ you are beating Monarchy-level support. Add some WL and you've got the special tiles back.

There was a Despo to Demo Succession game a while back that had some interesting comments on exploiting Despo.

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
        One value of Despo: for each citizen, you get a unit free of shield support. Once the city is size 4+ you are beating Monarchy-level support. Add some WL and you've got the special tiles back.

There was a Despo to Demo Succession game a while back that had some interesting comments on exploiting Despo.
        We had a couple like that. Size 5, convert all workers to taxmen/scientists is one way to go... the free support is helpful, too.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I actually had a tiny hope that I might be the one discovering the palace road impact on waste. Silly me

I must say, I'm getting even more impressed with the research capabilities of this community every day.

As for reasons to make Despotism more useful, I think games become more fun when you add more factors to consider, not when you remove them. Between Civ 1 & 2, Despotism was altered from a government type to a necessary evil in the first few turns. I know the balance was generally all wrong in Civ, but the easy way out with Monarchy in Civ 2 just feels wrong to me.

The way I'm making it more useful is:
          1) Monarchy supports only 1 free unit
          2) each citizen eats only 1 unit of food (twice the amount of food needed for pop growth)
          3) irrigation of grasslands and mining of hills take more time
          4) bump Monarchy further down the tech tree, possibly adding a self-imposed rule that you need both Republic and Monarchy before you can switch to Monarchy (same thing with Democracy/Republic)

I'm also making Monarchy more useful by having each settler each 6(!) units of food under Republic. This is not as severe as it sounds, considering that each citizen eats only 1 unit of food.

Comment

My fear would be that making despotism livable, and Monarchy harder to get and less useful, why would you go to it? (CIV III is the best example) No need to waste time researching those techs, just work on war techs.
            MP games would turn into simple arcade type war games.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

For starters, I readily admit that I have no clue about MP games. And there obviously has to be a balance. I don't think that balance is hard to attain either, as the primary weakness of Despotism in my patch (the riot factor being set to 12) makes Despotism undesirable once you hit 6 or so cities. I just want Despotism to be a useful alternative very early on, not a long-term alternative to Monarchy or Republic.

I'm weakening Republic (I think) by giving all tiles (except forest, hills, mountains) +1 trade, making the trade bonus slightly less significant.

Comment

I just remember my first game of CIV III and rushing to monarchy and revolting and seeing that I was worse off for changing and changed back quite quickly. Granted part of it was not being familiar with differences as I was in CIV II, but the concept was undesirable.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So you're saying that an advanced form of government should always be desirable? Again, I prefer as many strategic factors as possible. With Despotism slightly better, when to go for Monarchy is yet another decision you'll have to make.

Comment

With a slightly improved Despotism, you might end up wanting to Skip monarchy all together. I don't think that type of thing would add to the game. (strategically)
                    But again, just my opinion.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I agree with Sore Loser that the initial choice of techs is too clear. You should hesitate between several options. And the best option should depend on the concrete situation.

I don't think Monarchy should be weakened, but it should be deeper in the techtree.
                      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

No offense rah, but I don't understand your position. Let me try again:

1) Despotism is utterly useless as is
                        2) Both Monarchy and Republic are huge improvements and are not very far off on the tech tree
                        3) Despotism is thus a necessary evil that must be gotten rid of ASAP
                        4) = Despotism is a tiny and insignificant strategic factor in the game; you need to cope with it, you rarely have to consider how soon it is profitable to get rid of it

Of course Monarchy shouldn't be so bad that you wouldn't want it at all. I avoid this by setting the riot factor to 12, making Despotism cumbersome once you hit 6-8 cities, depending on map size. From that point on, unrest gets so high for additional expansion that Monarchy gives you a better payoff. On the other hand, Monarchy is further down the tech tree, so you have to decide what to do while waiting for it. Depending on the circumstances, it might be more worthwile to slow your expansion a little and build some infrastructure (including terrain improvements) rather than continuing rapid expansion and facing severe unrest problems.

Same thing with Monarchy. My experience is that it provides too few advantages over Republic. The trade bonus is superior to the support bonus of monarchy, and the higher food cost for settlers is more than offset by the ability to pop boom. Making settlers eat more food and making settlers less effective at improving terrain means that you have to balance things. Either you stay longer in Monarchy after your expansion slows down, letting you get some infrastructure in place to support the pop boom; or you stay in Monarchy and keep expanding, running into problems with the riot factor; or you pop boom with insubstantial terrain improvement, making you more dependent on plains (because irrigating them is still fast) and ocean squares. This last approach is further weakened by my proposed ban on buying production, meaning that although your cities grow nice and large and get huge amounts of trade, your production of food and shields will stay abysmal and further growth will thus be impaired.

This is a lot longer than I intended. My point is this: No-brainer choices are no fun. If you have several options in a game and you know that some of them are never any good, what point is there in having them? The more choices, the better the strategy aspect, IMHO.

Comment

SL - I suspect that you are not taking into account the benefits of celebration - a celebrating Despot enjoys many of the advantages of a Monarch.
                          Without actually playing with your rules.txt, I suspect that a celebrating Despotism could be made quite comfortable - Long Live the Gardens!!!

Stu
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I disagree. With HG, Monarchy simply jumps farther ahead of Despotism. Besides, is the riot factor affected by celebrating?

Comment

I guess I'm looking at it from too much of an MP view.
                              In MP every 4 turns in monarchy when your oponents are not is a big advantage. If you get that advantage for 16 turns, your opponents are likely in for a long hard game. This has a tremendous impact on how you deal with early huts. The decision to open a hut after you have one tech off the path can be the most strategic decision you make in the game. You must ask is you're behind and must open it, do you want to wait a few turns, or do you have a good feel that you can get enough huts soon enough to get back on the path and are willing to have to generate the extra beakers needed due to more techs. That's where choices come in. If despo was more livable, the game becomes a raw hut chase and seek and destroy game. (granted hut luck will bear a high importance in any game) But i guess it comes down to personal opinion, and any rules sets will eventually evolve a preferred stratagy.

Time is more critical in an MP game. In any SP game, you can dilly dally and still crush the AI. Against humans, it's different.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X