Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes the AI overthrow Fundy or Commy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes the AI overthrow Fundy or Commy?

Frequently in scenarios it is useful to get the AI to switch out of Fundamentalism or Communism into something other than Despotism. I've seen it happen in plain vanilla games and suspect that trailing in the tech race (for Fundy), money woes (for Communism), or even randomness all play a role. Has anyone explored this? Are these suspicions on the right track? Are there key techs, particular gold ratios (AI:Human), or turns that serve as important triggers?
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Good question.

I've noticed that in a lot of cases, cash seems to play a role - I think if an AI has lots of cash, they'll stay in Demo, particularly if I have lots of cash too. Maybe that's an anti bribe technique? I have definitely found that if I bribe a few AI cities, the AI in question will often switch to Demo and stay there.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Did you notice whether the bribed city size has an effect? Does the city have to be kinda big, or will a few size 1 bribes trigger the revolt?

Ever notice a switch from Fundy or Commy to Demo triggered by bribing units? In scenarios, we occasionally disable city bribing.

Good question.
      Well it's got me stumped, but I figured a good SP player has a trick or two up his sleave to do this. Please don't tell me that real SP players win before the AI discovers anything beyond Monarchy. I couldn't live with the humiliation.
      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
        Ever notice a switch from Fundy or Commy to Demo triggered by bribing units?
        No. Possibly because there are few occasions when this is necessary. Why bribe a unit when a city may only cost a little more?

AI government choices are erratic. I've seen a change from Republic back to Despotism

--------------------

SG(2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

yes i could never understand why the ais switch govt so often...seems like the military ones choose fundy and the civilized ones go demo.....

i am sure bribing a few ai cities is cause for the revolt...i would do it if someone started bribing me though i doubt they were clever enough to hardwire that into the game.

if you bribe virtually the whole empire in one turn or the turn the empire revolts you will save cash and it will be cheaper....

this of course requires precise timing ....and after some wine/beers/hippie lettuce.....i doubt many of us are able to pull it off consistently
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Anybody notice a militaristic AI change away from Fundy when the human discovered a key tech, say Csc?
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I suspect disorder and support issues may be the reasons for some of the AI government changes as well. I have noticed the AI changing to Rep after gifting, then changing back to Despo for a short while, then going back. In my current game I gave everyone Rep, but one civ (Celts) are going back and forth and two others are researching Monarchy. I have seen a few Celt citys slip into disorder while they are in Rep, then they switch out. They may be struggling to build Temples & Colosseums in Rep, switching to Desp to finish them, then switching back.

Might be fun to run a few test games just looking at what the AI is building to deal with Rep/Dem governments...

Comment

i find the ai doesnt' control disorder very well.... another one of its flaws...
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I know of three (not all of course) factors
                  Governments that they've researched.
                  Their civ characteristics
                  Their current state of war/peace
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So if a civilized perfectionist civ with a Fundy govt (and SoL), suddenly finds peace and discovers Democracy in the same turn, the odds are high that it will change to Democracy in the next turn?
                    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Yep. The turn they discover a government tech, usually triggers a decision tree.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

They seem to know that Rep & Dem are the strongest economically (which feeds taxes, lux and research), but weakest militarily. If not threatened they will switch to Rep/Dem when some list of basic improvements are in place, but if a few cities fall into disorder they will switch back out. Dem is a fragile solution to bribing problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Boco
                          So if a civilized perfectionist civ with a Fundy govt (and SoL), suddenly finds peace and discovers Democracy in the same turn, the odds are high that it will change to Democracy in the next turn?
                          No this can't happen. If they have SoL they already have Democracy

-------------------------------

SG(2)
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

And you caught that goof late into a FNSSGS (one of those S's is for Scouse)?
                            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

AIs sometimes switch govts during negotiations...

I've only seen that in a scenario though (and the AI did it every time you negotiated with it in that scenario, without any anarchy involved).
                              As I recall it was for one of the playtest versions of exile's Age of War. The AI was extremely millitaristic (Germany) and kept switching back and forth betwen Republic and Monarchy. It'd switch every time it initiated negotiations (sometimes more than once in one turn).
                              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Working...
                              X