Why Deity is unbalanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MalevolentLight
    Again, you're talking about the happiness factor as if it's all part of the strategy, but I can get the same "strategy" by playing against the AI.
    It is a part of the game if you play that setting, and you need a strategy to deal with it. Just because you don't think so doesn't make it a fact

Again, all you are doing is stating an opinion, not a fact.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
      I couldn't help but notice you posted your interest in a ladder in the other thread, although you agreed with Rah's statement here.

Comment

I believe that I have said all this, maybe not as well and too the point but I covered every one of thoose points.
        (Hanging Gardens is very unimportant and a luxury item on real island settings(2 x 2 king), trade all but makes it obsolete)
        (Mageleons on 1 move is devestating way more so then on 2 move)
        There is no challenge in being doomed from the very beging of the game by factors out of your control., its just a pointless waste of time.
        Any one here got a job where you make good money like me?
        Any one here like to be competitive in this game like me?
        Any one here think that winning via luck factors is a useless waste of time? Again like me.
        So, if you believe 1 x 1 deity is unbalanced, if you believe luck plays too great a role, if you have limited time and dont want to win by luck alone.... Then logic dictates you dont play 1 x 1 deity.
        8 Time Game League Champion!
        Oh, Its True, Its Dang True!

Comment

1 more thing, can anyone post a meaningfull, factual post like this on why 1 x 1 deity is better????
          8 Time Game League Champion!
          Oh, Its True, Its Dang True!

Comment

Frankly, I don't play 1x1x either... IMHO, it's boring... but I know other people like it. To each their own... personal preferences... And that's what it comes down to. People can post their OPINIONS all they want, but it doesn't make them facts... just opinions
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The easiest way to reduce the "evil factors of terrain" and "limitations" is to start the game with more settlers. DEITY is the ONLY setting that does this for everyone.

Comment

Good point
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
                  Thanks for the compliment.
                  My apologies if my comment was taken as a global insult to all ladder players. My intent was to only insult the cheaters, quiters and jerks.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Johnson
                    The easiest way to reduce the "evil factors of terrain" and "limitations" is to start the game with more settlers. DEITY is the ONLY setting that does this for everyone.
                    Yes, and that's why I prefer 2x1x deity. It helps balance the game. And I still like Raging so you have to make some defensive decisions.

RAH
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

My apologies if my comment was taken as a global insult to all ladder players. My intent was to only insult the cheaters, quiters and jerks.
                      No worries, was trying out the use of irony in English

I agree that a ladder does attract 'some'unwanted ellements though.

Comment

Like many people here, I have a job, family, sports , pets, neighbours etc etc etc that create stress in my life .
                        One of the things I do to releave this stress is to enjoy a nice game of Civ with a nice group of people.

The last thing I need is to bring a ladder into it and create more stress.

If the people I am playing with want 1x1x deity then I am happy to play that, if they want 2x2x king then I am happy to play that, if they want anything in between then I am happy to play that, all I want is fun
                        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey

If the people I am playing with want 1x1x deity then I am happy to play that, if they want 2x2x king then I am happy to play that, if they want anything in between then I am happy to play that, all I want is fun
                          I admire groups where it is almost as much about the interaction as it is about the civ. I am a self-confessed hardcore gamer, and I have played many games seriously on ladders and in clans in the past, and it's just more fun when you know the opponents (even just a little) rather than just playing a statistic on a ladder. Of course, I am pretty competitive, so ladders have their place, but it is only civ players that are still on my icq list.

Comment

Yes, it is more fun to play with people you know. (and trust)

WHICH brings up another reason why it's good to have some luck involved in the game. All the people that play in our group are not of the same skill level.
                            With a little good luck to the below average player and bad luck for the better player, the lessor player has a chance to get a lead and have some fun. People that get there butts kicked every game stop playing. Then every game will be a duel, because the competition will get thin. 4 player games are much more entertaining (and provide more challanges) then a duel.

But it's just like poker. Over time the better players will will win money. I don't need a ladder to tell me who the better players in the group are, it's obvious over time. You can tell who's getting better with experience over time. So instead of a definative ladder that might be based on me playing the top players a couple of times, our opinions of players are based over playing with them dozens of time. Since you can't totally eliminate all luck out of the game, which way is the fairer way to judge a person's skill?

So as far as I'm concerned I want luck in the game. It keeps things dynamic and let's me experience how to recover from a bad start. If I do poorly one game, my group isn't going to say I suck. They realize the luck aspect of the game. BUT if I have a bad start and come back, I'll be recognized for the skill that was involved.

AND finally, as Hydey put forth quite clearly, It's all about fun with friends. (and beer or whatever )

RAH
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Haha, its like someone dumped some pylons on the map and you have to go around them..........
                              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

The Hanging Gardens is promoted as the WONDER that will win a game. It does give an advantage to the player with it

However if you are playing a game with 3 or more relatively equal players then the WONDER that makes the most difference in a game is the Great Library. Properly used it allows the player with it to increase the luxury rate (matching the effect of the Hanging Gardens) and increase the tax rate allowing more rush buys of marketplaces etc.

These effects combined easily outdo the effects of the Hanging Gardens

Comment

Working...
                                X