Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigIce PBEM

The Big Little Ice Age - by St. Leo - Third Place
    I absolutely love this scenario and would immediately consider it for first place - IF - it wasn`t so imbalanced. As noted the the ReadMe, the Hapsburgs are a NPC civ and not mean`t to be played. Their power at the start of the game is utterly overwhelming, and within a few game years they immediately amass enough power to wipe everyone else off the map. Otherwise, the scenario is very well done and much fun to play. While not directly PBEMable, it is an indirectly nice game because it presents a situation where players may take the lesser powers and "gang up" on the Hapsburgs. Only through this method can they [the Hapsburgs] be defeated. This is interesting because it truely limits to game to the PBEM scenario sector. While not as good as Imperial Ambition, nonetheless a worthy scenario.
    It's time to PBEM the scenario that wowed the SDC judges and managed to get the Second Last Place in the contest.

Valois: FiGu
    Tudors: mordhiem
    Jagiellonians: conmcb25
    Ottomans: MagyarCrusader

Download Link
    SDC4 Discussion
    Attached Files
    Last edited by St Leo; January 19, 2003, 15:05.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Lwow should probably called Lemberg. I've heard of 'Hermannstadt', what is the Hungarian name for the town?
    Re-elect Bush!

Comment

Lwow should probably called Lemberg. I've heard of 'Hermannstadt', what is the Hungarian name for the town?

I used EU2 for research. In it, Hermannstadt is the capital of Transylvania (Siebenburgen) and Lwov is the capital of Galizien.

Are you game or not?

Comment

Possibly. Which civ would you recomend me, and why? And where are the Hapsburgs?

OK, after searching the net Hermannstadt I finally figured out it was Nagyszeben. This makes sense since it was in the German dominated area (well, until Romania moved in). The only Transylvanian city name in German I know is Kronstadt (Brassó). That was actually the largest city, although Kolozsvár was traditionally the capital.

Just in case you cared.
        Re-elect Bush!

Comment

Being Polish Ill be the Jagiellonians, and also to show support for my moderator. (Unless of course you are the Hapsburgs )
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Which civ would you recomend me, and why?

How about the Ottomans? I have a few fond recollections of our joint OT days.

And where are the Hapsburgs?

The point of this scenario, as it currently stands, is to not be crushed by the Habsburgs. Valois will have the hardest time of it, followed by Tudors, Ottomans, and Jagiellonians in that order.

Ottomans can make some quick gains in the Middle East, but the Habsburg navy will soon kick them out again. Jagiellonians can eventually consolidate the Russian and Mongol lands. Tudors should be able to bring all of the British Isles under their rule.

Valois? Well, it's in their best interest to take the Spanish Netherlands ASAP. Their main concern is not to be overwhelmed by the Spanish forces and hope that Austria doesn't reunite the Holy Roman Empire too quickly.

I highly recommend trying a brief SP game with your nation of choice before playing the PBEM.

I'll join in if you need a fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
              I'll join in if you need a fourth.
              I hope you are playing St Leo, Im counting on it!
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Put me down for a tentative Tudors. I need to play a bit more SP first.
                "The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity." - Anonymous
                "I must confess, I was born at a very early age." - Groucho Marx
                "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunatley, it kills all it's pupils." -Hector-Luis Berloiz

Comment

OK, I'll be Ottomans (hey it can be fun being the bad guys right?) given your consent.. I'll be out of town from Jan 20 - Jan 30 (I am assuming that the game will start before the 30th). If you are not playing this game, prehaps you could be my sub until I get back?
                  Re-elect Bush!

Comment

Okay, I'll try not to screw them up too badly.

I'll also look into possibly patching BigIce this weekend. The MGE AI is behaving differently from the FW AI.

Comment

St Leo

You probally know this already but the MGE AI is more agressive than the FW AI.

So even if you build the SAcenario with FW when you play it with MGE it is (the AI) more agrressive.

Comment

Yeah, I know it. I don't want the scenario to either be too easy or to reach an impasse. As it stands, the Habsburgs don't take much in France beyond Septimania before 1550.

If this is new in MGE, it's being caused by the aggressive Tudor AI being able to keep the Habsburgs out of the Bay of Biscay for a while and the Habsburgs not having enough Horse Artillery. As it stands, I am a bit worried about.

Actually, I think this will work fine in PBEM. The human Tudors can probably capture a few Spanish cities while the Valois make short work of the Netherlands. Austria will be a tougher nut to crack, but Poland and the Ottomans have plenty of expansion opportunities into third-party cities.

Who wants to play the French?

Comment

I can take French.
                          "This Nation has earned the right to Live." - Carl Gustav von Mannerheim

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
                          Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal

Comment

Thanks Leo!
                            Re-elect Bush!

Comment

Who starts?

Comment

Working...
                              X