Why Bother With AI's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Bother With AI's

I've noticed in the PTW forums that people love playing MP games with AI's involved. My only thought is why bother... I play MP so I can play against real people and not the stupid AI. If I wanted to do that, I would just play in single play mode.

Does anybody play Civ II MP games and enjoy having moronic AI's running around?
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

I like them because they don't whine and cry when you backstab them.

Plus, they don't have connection problems and usually do worse then me, which makes them a more inviting target.

But normally I never play with them.
    Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

And the AI doesn't conform to a lot of the Gentleman's agreement rules like "no city bribe" or "no tech trading".

I never included them and only discussed adding them once to a duel because I was bored and wanted to see how they would impact the duel. The other person laughed at the suggestion.

RAH
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah but remember way back when civ2 MP came out AI's were usually present. It just took us a while to realise that the first person to find and exploit them had an advantage. I'm sure that will occur for PTW.
        Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

I played a couple of 7-civ duels with Zep, this turned out to be quite fun as its something different from your usual boring 'every game the same basic strat' duel.

Comment

well i don't know why we play with ais either, some of the human ones are more of a nuicance with their silly play styles, and their built in chatter is deceptive

but the ais built into the games i play are FF, DD, and B...... and any comment about how i lost to one of the ais listed above is really just hot air
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

We used to include some AI civs to give the warmongers something to do
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Since it seems like you aren't allowed to attack each other, I can see why

And War...

Funny... but not nice
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Since I've beaten you twice now War, I guess the AI theory doesn't work anymore...

Comment

Horsies perceptions of the Aussie games and the rulles he's posted are entirely a paradigm he's created for himself

Of course anything can happen in Aussie games.

finbar is a peaceful player but can attack without warning;
                    Horsie wants to attack all the time but worries a lot about the consequences (particularly since our last game!);
                    Hydey attacks unexpectedly;
                    Makeo attacks expectedly;
                    Raz is sadl;y lost to Civ 3 ;
                    and I play silly buggers to get others to attack me because it's fun to keep the gimmick going about my SPOTLESS rep...

So you see it's Horsie who really insists on 'special rules' in his mind so he can maintain control and stay within his comfort zone

He gets personally annoyed if you don't trade maps or don't respond to deals, as though other players should fit in with his negotiations. If I ignore his negotiations it's part of the game play; and he uses icq which I don't like. I tend to use KC and if I stuff up and copy to the wrong civ, well, it's a laugh!

That's when Makeo calls me a doofus

And for Horsie to keep insisting on hosting on a dial up is ridiculous! I hope Hydey hosts tonight BTW...
                    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
                      Since I've beaten you twice now War, I guess the AI theory doesn't work anymore...
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
                        You actually finished a game with War4?

LOL

He keeps having connection problems I thought....
                        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

No finishes (only his), read his sig and his location and you'll figure out what happened the last time...

And the first time I just found him early, fought a few battles and got him to the loser's screen.

But not bad for an AI...

Comment

pretty lucky, i can tip my hat to skill, so far i haven't seen any from you Mr. Fox.....

but then again, no one can win all the time unless your EON
                            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Deity hardly ever plays with us any more - he's really a fringe player these days, makes the occasional guest appearance.
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X