This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaying the Same Turn Multiple Times

Seriously, people, we can't ban this, so we might as well embrace it. I do recommend to the practitioners that they do not overdo it because repeating the same moves twenty times is a good way to get sick of Civ.

The point of PBEMs is that losing to a good opponent is more fun than beating a bad one, so don't worry too much about your unfulfilled infinitesimal chances of victory.
    Wink at them
    47.83%
    Let the game starters decide
    21.74%
    Institute capital punishment
    30.43%
    CowboyNeal
    0.00%
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

I don't think it is feasible to ban either
    Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

I think it's impossible to prove and like St Leo said we should embrace it to avoid groundless accusations flying around every time anyone does anything sucessfully.
      "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

Embrace it since its not wrong

Comment

Coyboy Neal isn't doing so hot.

-FMK.

Comment

No worries. I am pretty sure he'll win the Bikini competition and that's what this poll is all about.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

off topic, what is the C2 PBEM thing below your name?

Comment

It's a directory of forum members who like PBEMs I think.
                "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

Well, I strongly disagree with the people saying replaying it to get better combat result is OK!

I only replay a part of my turn when I hit the wrong key, so sending an unit off a road or railway! And even then, I often let them be, just to teach myself not to be so clumsy...

And I did once or twice "check" whether the next year was an OEDO year, I must admit... But I don't see a big problem with it, it's just to avoid counting the turns since the beginning of the game...

BUT I would NOT go so far as to call the "replayers" cheaters, I would rather say "not fair-play"...
                  Last edited by Cyrion; November 26, 2002, 03:52.
                  Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                  Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                  POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                  LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

I don't know whether I agree with it or not. I don't think I agree that they should be replayed for better combat results, but I have replayed turns when I forget to do things that I had planned to do in the first place.

Pap

Comment

I don't think that theres anything wrong with it; its part of the way pbems are set up, and is unavoidable. The only reason I don't do it is because I'm so lazy

As for replaying a turn for better combat results: if someone is obsessed enough to sit there for five hours until his chariot beats someone's rifleman, then maybe they deserve to win...

Comment

Let's put it this way: a lot of you seem to be saying reloading for combat results shouldn't be banned because it 'can't be proven'. Well, there are several things that are definitely cheating which can't be proven either. If someone reveals the map and looks into the cities of his enemy and always hits the right spot and/or can be ready for sneak attacks, should it not be banned because we can't prove it? Please. A ban is just a meaningless matter of course, it doesn't matter whether the activity banned is provable or not.
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                          Let's put it this way: a lot of you seem to be saying reloading for combat results shouldn't be banned because it 'can't be proven'.
                          I just don't think reloading for combat results is actually breaking any of the game 'rules'. If its possible for one unit to beat another unit, then theres nothing to indicate that it did so on the first try or on the fifth, in a pbem. Its possible, either way; on the other hand, a civ which produces 6 units in a turn with only 4 cities is plainly cheating, or a player who knows the exact improvements, production and garrison of an enemy city on the other side of the map has been peeking where he shouldn't. As such reloading for better combat results is more bending than breaking the rules.

But like I said, I think that reloading a save dozens of times to keep trying for more favourable combat results is enough a pain in the ass to discourage most pbemers.
                          Last edited by winterfritz; November 27, 2002, 22:58.

Comment

I don't think reloading is really wrong for this reason: in a real war or in reality in general countries have a general idea of the military strength of others. In Civ this isn't the case, espionage is an important part of real life but not civ. Therefore if someone attacks a city with all they have and it turns out to have an invincible garrison and they can't do anything to it they would have known SOMETHING about it in reality but in Civ without diplomats/spies which are not in most scenarios I play there's no way to know without reload.

Comment

Originally posted by winterfritz
                              I just don't think reloading for combat results is actually breaking any of the game 'rules'.
                              Well, I imagine that the designers of civ included the random combat result generator in the game for a reason

As I said in the other thread, reloading turns makes it impossible for players to institute a proper defencive line. If the attacking player is able to manipulate the game so that they effectively always win, then what's the point of trying to defend anything? The defending player doesn't stand a chance.

But like I said, I think that reloading a save dozens of times to keep trying for more favourable combat results is enough a pain in the ass to discourage most pbemers.
                              Having done just that numerous times in the last few days while checking out The Overlords games, I agree - it certainly is a slow and tedious process. Nevertheless, people do do it.
                              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                              X