Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok experts, now that I've bought it, what's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok experts, now that I've bought it, what's next?

Ok, went out and spent the $29 blood money. Actually I was surprised that it was only $29.

Now for the questions.

I didn't install the lastest patch for CIVIII, do I have to go back and do that or does installing play the world bring it current.

After listening to all the problems with the arcade spyware and that people were playing without it, when I got to the screen that asked if I wanted to install it, I said no. Now what.

Come on experts.

Just for grins I loaded a SP game up. I started on crappy terrain, built a city to be told 40 turns to the next tech and an AI warrior found me in less than 7 turns. Oh Boy, did I miss this game

RAH
    I started a different thread hoping this one could be used for the functional aspects and the other one for stratagies.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

So all are going to abandon II ?
    Man. Jeez. Rats. Am I going to have to break down?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No, I'm not going to abandon II, III still needs a lot of work from what I read, and what I saw. I just wanted to get a few answers without wading through all the whiners in the III forums. Besides, when it's time to play III, I would prefer to do it with the II diehards like myself.

Save your money for now, we'll let you know when it's save to get back in the water.

RAH
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm no expert, but all you should need is the 1.04 patch.

In order to play with ANYONE, you'll need to install the gamespy(ware) stuff. (But if you go thru the game multi-menu, you don't really use most of it anyway).

I played a duel last night, no AIs, and it went reasonably well, still laggy but not horrible.

I'd like to try a game with you soon, only because our proximity to each other is SUPPOSED to make lag less of a problem. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sloww, I think if there isn't marked improvement SOON, there won't be a Civ3MP crowd at all, and everyone will return to the 2MP fold.
        Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

Is the 1.04 patch the patch for ptw or civIII?
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            Is the 1.04 patch the patch for ptw or civIII?
            PTW
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

So I don't need to bring CIVIII up to date with patches?
              I did the first couple but I don't think I did all of them since I lost interest.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You don't need to patch to Civ III 1.29f, that is included with PTW.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

There are 2 levels to GameSpy.

The first is simple MP connectivity that can be used through the PtW MultiPlayer option itself.

The second is the full blown GS Arcade. When you activate this (it will require additional installing) you can use the GS chat room and theoretically launch and join games from there. It is the Arcade where there is a problem with PtW and people starting or joining from there will crash. Actually, I've heard that they turned off the host and join options there pending the next patch.

If you proceed through the basic MP option in PtW itself, you can host and join games. You can chat, but you will not see who else is there, and the chat box is only 4 or 5 lines high (you can scroll).

Can you use the basic GS through the PtW MP option without saying yes when PtW installs? Good question. I haven't tried. I doubt it. If you do say yes, then to use Arcade there will still be additional installing required. My guess would be that the GS installed with PtW is for basic INet gaming.

Happy civ'in.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Hey rah - you must have more money than sense
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

He has both
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                        He has both
                        Probably not that much more - just that both increase in value when going from Aus to US currency.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                          You don't need to patch to Civ III 1.29f, that is included with PTW.

Thanks. I'm sure others were trying to answer, but this one was the most definative.

RAH
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Let me know when I can catch you online Rah, and we can set up a duel.

P.S. The patch is being worked on, according to a press release from Firaxis today.
                            Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
                              Let me know when I can catch you online Rah, and we can set up a duel.
                              FF, anxious to avenge civ2 maulings.

Comment

Working...
                              X