No announcement yet.

Should I Change Civ II MP Strategy ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Change Civ II MP Strategy ...

to get ready for Civ III MP? That is, assuming they have it.

I'm thinking the new features, units and other stuff that we know will be included in Civ III will take some getting used to, so maybe I can get started now. For example, since each civ will have units that are particular to it, and some of those civs have more powerful early units than later units, I'll probably start picking the civs with early potential because our games never get continued. What's the use of being Americans if you have to wait for F-15s? So, from now on in my MP games I'm going to start picking the Babs, just to get used to the color. Anyone else thinking about picking different civs now just to get used to it?

Carry on, but just be sure to tie the discussion into Civ II.

Edit: With apologies to rah. I need to start scrolling down further before posting new threads.
    "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
    Jonathan Swift

Nope......

Being good at civ isn't that important to me. I'm not going to train at it like the olympics or anything.

Since I only play once or twice a week, and for fun, being good isn't even a worry. It will take some time getting used to civ3 and if I get my ass handed to me a few times, so be it. Won't be any different than the initiation I got when i first started playing civ2

Of course if they don't add an mp feature, as many have said, we'll all have plenty of time to get used to the neew features of the game by playing a few times against the AI. Course I won't buy it until it's mp capable.....guess I'm going to be behind the curve huh? Oh well ....
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

And maybe the change in structure will promote continuing game?
      We'll all just have to see.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Bird,
        No problem. Thanks for the Support.

Drake,
        I would like to say the same thing, but I know I'll wuss and buy it the first day so I can start learning how to eventually Kick Ming's Ass at MP. (but we're not competitive )

Slowhand,
        THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC, but I an not holding my breath.
        Hopefully the MP option will have some type of simul turn built in, and with a combination of faster game play, we'll be able to get farther into the game in a single session.

Or the games will be more balanced farther in, which is the main reason most games aren't continued. Someone is already obviously going to win and everyone knows it by A.D. (50% of the time anyway.)

RAH
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Kick my ass
          Dream on...

We will just have to "wait and see" when it comes to MP... sigh...
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Some people are actually talking about a MP game with 16 players.Ya right!..good luck on that one.
            Would make for a great game though.4x4 teams game.I wonder how long a turn would take in that?
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I shudder to think of playing strategyking and his two computers with 16 Civs.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

8 players is bad enough... I can't even think about how slow 16 civs would be
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

16, hell I can't think of 16 different colors to put in a game. The game would, of course, take a lifetime to play, but it would at least be interesting.
                  "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                  Jonathan Swift

Comment

LOL guys.
                    Just put 16 civs on one of my typical 37x47 rock worlds playing "RAH" rules. It would get down to a managable number of civs in no time. The 12 civs placed on the ice caps would have a lot of fun. Of course those 12 would at least be safe from barb attacks.

RAH
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

On a more serious note, I wonder whether MP (if they ever have it) will allow us to turn off the automatic techs or eliminate the "cultural" advantages enjoyed by various civs. Even assuming the game is unbelievably balanced over the long run, I'll be surprised if it'll be balanced in the short or intermediate term. Fairness of "starts" could become even more problematic.
                      Jonathan Swift

Comment

16 civs is just an excuse to buy a new computer

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

HAHAHA....having to battle 12 other civs for a glacier square doesn't sound like much fun
                          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Bird
                            On a more serious note, I wonder whether MP (if they ever have it) will allow us to turn off the automatic techs or eliminate the "cultural" advantages enjoyed by various civs. Even assuming the game is unbelievably balanced over the long run, I'll be surprised if it'll be balanced in the short or intermediate term. Fairness of "starts" could become even more problematic.
                            I have remembered reading that you will be able to turn off the civ specific stuff. They did read all of our MP gripes so I hope that at a minimum they got the sense that we were looking for more even starts. (which would mean turning off starting techs)

RAH
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah.. a lot of the stuff sent to them in the beginning stressed the need for game "options"... Hopefully we will get a better selection than movement, production, bloodlust... I would love to see no Nukes... no city bribes... well actually, I would love a LONG list of game options! We will see if they listened.
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                              X