the zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the zone

i'd just like to vent my spleen, so if you'd induldge me....

i started a game ,diety, 1x1x small world, with a fella who said he had "4 to 8 hours to spare".

Now it's not the fact he quit that p***es me off, cos if you're beat you're beat, it happens to Kasparov so it's no disgrace....

no, what does p**s me off is that 3 hours into the game, i've got 4 cities, HG, Pyramids and just about to rush build the Colossus(on a river city), all defended with vet phalanx/elephants but still in depotism(****ty techs), and he's got 10 cities, no wonders, loads of pikes and knights (non vet), philo, and mono.

if ever a game was in the balance this is it, can i get my tech up, with the Colossus, to feudalism and get pike to defend against his knights or will he overrun me with his superior military, and/or build Mikes? we'll never know..

just another wasted afternoon on the Zone.........
    (it was a bank holiday as well)

3 hours and 4 cities. You should be working on learning to expand.

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i got too many free units from huts too far from cities, i had to support them or lose the freebie, looking back i should have disbanded them, but you always hope the next hut might be an advanced tribe,,if you'd like to give me some lessons i'll send you the save and you can tell me where i went wrong

Comment

BTW give me 4 good cities over 10 empty ones anytime esp. with those wonders

Comment

If you want a quick 2x2x game on the zone just zm me anytime. I actually finish my games. And always win

Comment

I told a guy in another thread, find a game at zone, as last resort.
            With the Icq lists it's easier now.
            Zoners.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've just about given up on the zone. Too many quitters....noone ever takes up a game where they left off. I don't why people would bother to play civ if they have an attention deficit disorder?

Civ2 is clearly a long term game...if you can't go for the long run and make a game of then don't even waste my time.

I'll keep playing if I'm losing. A good player will adapt to the environment the game has placed them in and try to beat the odds.

Too many zone players just disappear cos they know their losing or if you break a peace treaty and attack them.
              *Big Lewi is Lowang
              *Member of the Fidel Castro fanclub
              *You no mess with Lowang

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                BTW give me 4 good cities over 10 empty ones anytime esp. with those wonders
                BTW, after three hours those 10 cities wouldn't be empty. There would be wonders too. I'm not talking ICS, I'm just saying focused on expansion.

General observation of MP. Most inexperienced players biggest weakness is lack of expansion. Especially on small worlds. By the time they get their civs developed (by their own definition) there is no more room to expand.

RAH
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: the zone

just another wasted afternoon on the Zone.........
                  Hey I know how you feel. Next time look for me. My favorite settings are 2x1x or 1x1x deity. I will finish the game until everyone agrees it is hopeless. I will even show up for agreed upon completion times.

Comment

BTW ;O) i know what your saying about expansion Rah, but i explored a good proportion of the map with free horsemen from huts and while my starting postion was good, outside of that it was a long way to any decent ground, like i say the thing that crippled me was supporting the free units that i was too greedy to disband outside a city, a couple of settlers or an advanced tribe would haver made all the difference. the fact that the host kept letting different people hot join to take over an obviously crap third civ also accounted for a fair bit of time.

I've seen you on the zone a lot diety, look forward to playing you

Comment

deity dude, my zone alter ego is Lord Lucan (gaz), need i say
                      more? it's okay to concede but to just quit?

Comment

I go back to th ezone occasionaly when I bored jsut to play for fun, I know the game wont go the distance, probalby have 1hr maybe 2 before the opposition all bail out, either they quit becuae the ylosing , or they quit because they winning (in thier eyes) , it doesnt bother me anymore, I only there for fun so i dont care,,,, if you want long lasting games you need committment to coming back another day and that is extremely rare at Zone... You need to get to know the opposition so you know their time zones and lifestyle so you cna work out avaialble times , much eaise r to do over time here at apolyton than at zone ...

zone is for quick games !!
                        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

deity dude, my zone alter ego is Lord Lucan (gaz), need i say
                          more? it's okay to concede but to just quit?

My game said "lost connection with player named gaz" - I saved game then went back to zone to look for you. Couldn't find you. I still got the game if you want to play it - besides I thought I was winning.

Comment

i'm free tomorrow and friday ,i stayed on the zone for another hour, you wern't there,. i thought i was winning, your crusaders were getting nowhere against my vet pikemen and Knights
                            behind city walls. shall we continuue friday? i'm sorry if i got the wrong end of the stick, it's the fact that we lost connection the turn after i built a wonder and your invasion failed made me suspicious!!

Comment

...it's the fact that we lost connection the turn after i built a wonder and your invasion failed made me suspicious!!
                              ROTFLMAO...

Everybody always seems to have a bad word for the zone... The zone is what it is... a great place for new players to get mp time in... and a place to go if you can't find anybody else to play. Sure, it's tough to continue a game if you don't know the right people, and sure, people have a tendancy to drop out... but you still get to play civ against a human being.
                              It sure beats the hell out of playing against the computer
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X