No announcement yet.

Cavebear Diplo Game - Started At Last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavebear Diplo Game - Started At Last!

Commence posting game stories here!
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

New English Times test issue 0 1 gold
    [*]New invention leads to boom in newspublishing industry: PAPER!
    The news industry is booming and we have to go with the times. While treebark makes a good solid underground for woodcarvings (which has become our mark of quality) we can no longer ignore the economic benefits of this new product called 'paper'. That is why we have decided to introduce a new concept called "news-paper". Thanks to lower duplicating cost we're now able to bring you more news for far lower prices.

[*]English mariners discover continent around the corner!
    During their maiden voyage a team of mariners discovered a huge island just a few days sailing away. From the first official reports this newly discovered land seems to be huge, attempts to map the borders of this island have, at this point, failed. "We just kept going and going but there doesn't seem to come an end to it!" mentioned a captain from the royal cavalry. Some wilder sources say that this island may be far bigger than our own, maybe even 3 or 4 times!

3 or 4 times!? this is supposed to be a respected newspaper not like those "the earth"-rags they are printing further down the street! Get your act together!(ed)

[*]Colonization of new island starts
    The docks in England are laden with settlers waiting to try their luck on the new found island. One of the first cities to be founded was near the crossing of a major river that leads deeper into the island and more will probably follow quite soon. The more bold adventurers are heading deeper inland where there are rumors of great treasures and mineral wealth. Gold always was a powerful motivator! (ed)

[*]Explorers discover new civilization!
    In a surprise meeting an unknown cavalry unit showed up at our first colony. Thankfully they were friendly and a peace agreement was signed in good faith. This tribe calls themselves the Celts and come from somewhere down south. They also say that this land isn't an island but a continent called 'Europe' and is very large, far larger than we ever could dream! It's glad to see we're not alone in this strange world and we are free to share this new continent them. But they also told rumors about a huge civilization that's intend on taking over everything. We should remain vigilant, these new lands may also bring bad tidings...

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by CapTVK (edited January 21, 2001).]</font>
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Probably due to some Karma reaction, having wanted to be the Sioux, I started out in some god forsaken plains.
      Making the best of it, I have managed to keep up in number of cities with all but one Civ.
      I have discovered, though a perilously long trek is required, a land of milk and honey. Here I will put the second half of my Kingdom.

------------------
      "It's In The Way That You Use It."

Tuatha De Danann Tribe
      http://www.geocities.com/boann7/

Comment

my name is Hanako meaning flowerchild. I am geisha
        and owned by the great priestess Boann. i have been chosen with honor to serve the priestess and to keep a historic log of our small happy empire.

the priestess says we have great need of many things since our mounted samurai have explored and found mostly desert land to the south and west. the priestess sent samurai to the north , they have been gone many months.

a rider came into our village today sending word that the samurai had found a great empire to the north. they call themselves borg and have a most frightening appearance.

the borg have offered peace and agreed to a border. the priestess has planned a great celebration.

a foreign warrior came to the village today. he was tall and wore yellow armor. he requested to speak to the priestess.

they talked many hours and he gave many wonderful gifts it is told. the priestess put many people to start work building these new things.
        the warrior has offered an alliance , the priestess has accepted. we are now under the protection of the great and mighty Dagda.

word came today that some samurai had been killed by barbarians in the north and some farmers were killed also. the families burn insence to Buddah.

mongrol horde riders trod through our village today.great fear was through the whole village.

the leader offered peace and the priestess accepted. we are still fearful. they disturbed many with their aggressive manners. the priestess tried to set a border with them but they ignored her offer. the mongrals offered peace but then proceeded to pillage nearby farms taking hidden treasures and even took a samurai hostage and stole his horse. they have set up outposts on our land and refuse to leave us in peace. the priestess has ordered many samurai trained and ready to protect our villages.

i am invited to a tea ceremony this night.
        it is a great honor. we are to pay tribute our dead and
        say prayers for the taken samurai. may he be strong and come home soon.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by boann (edited January 21, 2001).]</font>
        "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

The Year Zero, First Entry in the Book, Amerigo.

A nightmare come true! We awoke, 10,000 of us, far from our comfortable homes and in the middle of a wilderness. We know not what has occurred. Confused, lacking food and tools, we desperately sought organization to deal with this strange land. We cannot even agree on the year, for some claim a year different than others. Chaos reigned at first. Some died; others simply went mad. Most adapted and survived!

Fortunately, some had skills useful in this situation, and began to collect followers and aid them in survival. Others recalled useful hints from elders not with us. One may know of safe berries to eat, another how to tan hide, and so it goes.

Quickly, we leaders found each other and began more substantial aid for the people by combining our varied knowledge. After a short while, I, Amerigo, was chosen overall leader, and the people have taken my name as their own.
          ------------------

Year 2000th, Journal entry by Chieftain Amerigo The 40th.

The journal tells of the people being in a strange place, and not used to the toil that life here required, but they were determined to do as well as their ancestors before them. Those not previously accustomed to toil became so. All took their turn at pulling the plow and gathering firewood.

We have prospered since then, if being able to build simple roads, domesticating the wild horses here, and developing a common alphabet mean "prospering". The old tales tell of a life of ease and comfort in a faraway land, but those are just tales to most of the Americans. I alone can read the journal entries of my forbears, and it is shocking to me. Attacks by barbarians plague us as in the past, and we have yet to capture any of the miserable leaders of those tribes. Still, we progress, alone and without the association of other civilized peoples.
          --------------------

The 3000th Year of Americans, Entry of King Amerigo the Ready.

Many projects to report, and haste to report them. New armor against the Wild Ones. Collections of writing into bound "books". Scribes wandering the land, collecting and writing down all they see. This helps with taxes. All this fancy stuff is folderol, and I have no time for details! What care I for Journals!
          --------------------

Three Thousand Two Hundred and Fifty the Years of Our Dynasty, Journal Entry of the Puissant 60th Amerigo.

Hereby noted that, as required in the reign of King Amerigo the 45th, the Throne as been mating only with solid peasant stock of long-lived family, the better to keep our line healthy and alert unto the oldest years. I, myself, have reached 110, and We are heartily pleased with this result.

The Amerigo people are happy and productive, establishing several new cities of late for our further reign and benediction thereon. It is a slightly tiresome task to bestow our presence on these outlying places of crude life and uncultured social activities, but the life of Us is hard and demanding. Still, We long to return to the riches of the Court and its civilized manner. As long as the people pay their taxes quietly and do their dirty crafts, what do We care? Surely, there is cake enough for all...

The courtiers simper around Us constantly and speak of other civilizations, but We are not convinced they exist. If they are referring to the places where those *smelly* Barbarians keep attacking from, We do not worry. The Journal of the ancestors says nothing about "others" like Us.
          -------------------

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by cavebear (edited January 21, 2001).]</font>
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

The Horde Reports Vol. 1 750bc

I begin these chronicles after the great fire which almost destroyed my people in the year 4000bc. Reduced to a meager 10,000 fighting strong, I War4ever of Mongols, renamed (The Horde), led my people to a plush riverbed spanning as far as the naked eye could see. It was here that we established the capital city of River Wild and thus began a rebirth of our once glorious nation.

First Order: Exploration

Well scouts report that we are off to a glorious start. At this point, we have uncovered 579,000 SQM of territory or so our mapmakers have theorized. Although much of this land is plush in nature and could easily hold many more cities, it is reported that only the best spots will be used in order to maintain a workload of no more than thirty cities. It is rumoured that the mighty War4ever is not nearly as skilled at math as he is in hand to hand combat. Rumour has it that his intelligent cousin (Mercantile) will co rule the empire and overlook the trade and domestic aspects of the govt.

Second Order:

It is apparent that War4ever is quite skilled in the art of diplomacy or so the military reports. Everywhere he goes small nomadic tribes offer gold, braves, and skilled workers. It seems as if everyone believes War4ever is some sort of deity. Those who do not offer gifts seem more than willing to swear their loyalty in other ways. Many small tribes have agreed to fly The Horde banner in their cities, although it is rumoured that both Mercantile and War4ever wish that the natives would choose their city sites with slightly better coordination/planning.

Third Order: Government Change!

You heard it right here first folks. The former Horde government has been changed from a despotism to a monarchy!!! It took us awhile to write up a "Code of Laws" and to develope "Ceremonial Burial" but we finally prevailed. Of course we were significantly slowed down by the scientific findings in many of the ruins we uncovered, but in the end we got there and that is all that matters. What does this mean for the average Horde citizen? Why more personal freedom of course! Along with greater rations, land grants, and the luxury of shorter working days. Believe me people, we are charting successfull territory here!

Fourth Order:

New flash!!!! Reports of other survivors of the great fire of 4000bc have emerged. Mongoloid like ourselves but wearing distinctive green armour of some sort. Their appearance seems sloppy and unlike ourselves, they seem primitive by nature.

A peace treaty has been established as of now, but it appears that the Japanese (funny sounding name if you ask me) are two faced. Constantly plundering our side of the river while pretending to be innocent. Not too mention, not defending their cities. Imagine leaving your wife and child alone? Never happen in our culture. Only the friendly Mercantile could have spared the feeble Japanese from death! Had War4ever not been out late partying and too drunk to realize what he was signing, I imagine we would have had an easy victory. As it stands, our Japanese cousins are viewed with suspician until they prove themselves worthy of our trust.... All Horde clansmen are told to be on guard. Just so the world also realizes that The Horde isn't an evil empire, not only did we spare the Japanese city, but we have not taken action on a Japanese horse whom sits atop our hilltop of coal. This could prove to be "irresponsible behaviour" to the future of our diplomatic relations and viewed as an act of aggression!

Second News Flash:

Contact with a second tribe has been confirmed! The Tuatha De Danann as they are called are a mysterious tribe of which admittedly we have little knowledge of. They wear bright uniforms the same color of the sun and seem to be very friendly. As of yet only our initial contact has been recorded but rest assured we will hear from our neighbors again.

Fifth Order: Monument Plans

A special work order has been handed down by War4ever to the greatest architects of the nation. The goal is to build a monument in honor of his great leadership. A poll taken by the people has determined that the ..... what? You didn't think we would give out all our secrets on the first date did you ?!!? To be continued........

------------------
            Back from hell....i have nothing to lose
            <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by War4ever (edited January 22, 2001).]</font>
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Now posting under the correct thread .....

And so it passed that the tribe calling themself the Celts wandered to an area full of milk and honey (and whales). There was a dispute amongst the tribe members though about whether they truly should settle down in this beautiful land or whether to wander further. Those who wished to stay were the members of the tribe who were slightly more learned than most other peoples in the world in those times, they had great bronze spears, and had some communication techniques which were quite innovative for the time. After a tribal civil war ensued, these "intelligentsia" won, and settled down to build Hereford.
              And from there the Celts began to expand, sending out large masses of people to find new areas to settle in to, as well as young men with swift horses to explore their surroundings. Northeast of Hereford, they found a great mountain range. It was possible to get through, or to travel through the forest on end of the range, but one Celtic leader saw the mountains as a source of great protection. If only they could use the terrain to build great fortresses from which they could spot the enemy for miles, and also stop them if necessary.

In the year 1900 BC, a group of horsemen that had breached the mountain barrier ran into a small English town. The men of the group were generally of the mind to sack the town, but their leader, Math, was of a peaceful mind and instead offered a treaty of peace and began exploring

Math soon went up the ranks and eventually became a king of a true monarchy. He continue pushing the enlightened ones to increase the knowledge of the celts, while raising many armies, both from the interior and by recruiting small tribes that the Celts encountered and ASSIMILATED. (hehe)

In 950 BC, he died (apparently had a heart attack, from the description of the death given). According to the legend, the whole world stopped breathing, time itself stopped moving until it finished mourning for the Great King Math. Once the gods had decided that the mourning period had lasted long enough, time was allowed to begin moving again. The new leader, King Owein, declared that a huge burial area was to be made for King Math, and also a great statue to be made in his honor.

Comment

the great priestess has asked me to send a rider with a message for the nasty lying mongrol horde leader.

our scouts were sent in search of your vile nest.
                where you breed your plots of world conquest.
                as for our horse it is fortified on OUR land on OUR side of the river near a city we consider in violation of our border request. we have plundered no treasures on your side of the river. tho you have taken all treasures left on our side ..why we do not know...since your land covers many many beautiful grasslands and is rich with resources. why you wish to plunder our meager stake is unknown..except that you wish to take all for yourself. ..and you offered to give us a city in exchange for your barbarianism. claiming that you had not seen the "great map" prior. claiming that you were not hostile....but when we take your offer ..you did not keep your word..you say we must also be humble and grovel at your feet...
                HA ! the great priestess Boann humbles herself for no barbarian mongrol who offers nothing but empty words.
                "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

We are Borg. We are One. The unit Epik will be our Locutus. It will speak for the united minds of the Borg Collective, to the tribes of individuals.

We are a collective of hives, currently numbering 13. We assimilate the land from the blackness. We have assimilated 3 advanced tribes. We assimilated knowledge from the huts and beakers. We worked as one to assimilate the Golden Age of Philosophy.

The Red individuals attacked and killed some of our exploration drones but were destroyed when attempting to assault the hives. Two of the Red units were assimilated.

We have encountered the Japanese and Celtic individuals. We have decided to delay the assimilation of the units, since the tribes may develop technologies that could be assimulated in the future. We inform them now that they will be allowed to exist as individuals, as long as they provide useful technologies for the Collective, occasionally.

We are Borg. We will expand to 30 hives. We will assimilate Alpha Centauri.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Epik (edited January 29, 2001).]</font>

Comment

*Official Japanese Policy*

Admittedly we did tresspass on your side of the border agreed upon (we were already there!) Admittedly we have a couple of "observation Posts" in your territory (found by our courageous explorers) Perhaps had your people explored the territory directly to the side of your little empire, you would have persuaded the natives to join your tribe as well. Oh well your loss is our gain. As I have many cities I offered you that city to quench your bloodlust and hurt feelings.

However we will cede this city and perhaps others in your region when WE deem necessary, not when you dictate the terms. Patience leads to cultivating friendships, friendships lead to trade, trade leads to new technologies. Taunts on the other hand lead to suspicion, suspicion leads to aggression, aggression leads to war... war is something you cannot win against me (not that i wish to engage in a battle anyways)

Therefore my little geisha friend, tell your superiors that as The Horde consolidates its position, it will be more than willing to cede territory to you which is too distant for our supreme army to defend properly.

Sincerely yours,
                    War4ever

PS. Although we have not met these vile warriors hell bent on assimilating the world, let it be known that The Horde will protect any state whom faces destruction or whom we deem to be in "dire straits"
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

From LC, scribe of the Royal Court of the Amerigo, Mouth of the Amerigo...

We are amazed to discover that there are others such as We, the designated ones. Apparently, some of the barbarians have structured themselves into coadjunctive governing bodies loosely based on philosophical and "State of Nature" principles modelling our own. Well, flattery has some advantages, We suppose.

Truly, we have assigned our "best and brightest" to this question of other civilizations to satisfy his most Puissant Majesty as to the reality of the same. We do hope that they shall understand our absolute and superlative position so as to not force us to cause undue pain on their plural claims to Civilization.

Comment

Boann has asked me to sub for Slowhand today in your game. Will I need to dowload something? What was Slow's password and civ?

Comment

Welcome to the fun Berzerker. Hopefully Slowhand has not set a password and you will be able to get in okay. There is nothing that you need to download for the game. Cavebear did pass out the map before the game started, but you should do okay without it.

The game is 1x1x set at King Level, Roving Bands of Barbarians. The map is 75 x 120.

See ya about 4 PM Eastern.

Comment

Emailed Berserker the game file at 3:50 EST. Keep in mind the ICQ message I sent that Absurddoctor needs to delay until 4:30. Maybe sooner. See you then. Errand to run before game time!

Comment

A translation of an Ancient Celtic document:

The Borg were recently found many dawns of travel towards the morning Sun.

Sometime after we discovered them, an entourage of the strange looking people was found heading towards our great land. They looked harmless, but we all know the gods can deceive a man in his views. Many messengers were sent to the leader of The Borg, but they were ignored. We have decided to attack entourage, assuming that they bear hostile intentions to us.

And so a war began. A diplomat was ruthlessly murdered by Celtic savages riding their legendary horses. Soon a war of words began. Apparently the messages from the Celts to The Borg had not found their destination. The Borg demanded restitutions for their losses, the Celts refused to hear of such things. What happened next? Tune in next time to "The History of the Celts, a 184 part documentary", or call the number at the bottom of your screen with your credit card ready.

OOC: This session was probably the best time I have had playing Civ since back when I was a kid and I would compete with my younger brother to see who could get up earlier and play the computer (Civ I was my game of choice, once we started getting up at like 2 or 3 in the morning, my parents made a 7 am limit as the earliest one could play the computer, this of course called for other strategies ... )
                              I've worked out a fair border with CapTVK's English, build Marco Polo's Embassy, killed a Borg diplomat which started a great war of words (should I post the transcript here?), and have done a few other neat things which are currently a secret to most and must remain that way for now

Comment

Working...
                              X