Any Diplogames starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just chatting with Drake.

I think that this might make a nice distribution of tribes, if each of us took one of the following groups.

1. France, Spain or England

2. Russia

3. Zulu, Carthage or Egypt

4. Chinese or Mongols

5. India

6. Rome or Greece

Comment

I think an australian or middle east start would add to the variety too. I don't think either are done very often...might spice things up a bit.
      I see the world through bloodshot eyes
      Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

A possible starting map......

Definetly open for discussion...........
        I see the world through bloodshot eyes
        Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

I are still here... Checking posts daily. Im in agreement with all goings on so far. I was tought that i should quietly let people think me a fool, rather then opening my mouth and proving it.
          Epic how do we test modem speed?
          icq 98720447

------------------
          if i display a lack of skill, pleace note the enthusiasm

Comment

For 5 players, the map looks pretty good, except i suggest we make 2 civs in asia, one further northwest ands another more southeast. This way we may all reach each other my land. A race for America is a good thing. Any tribe that misses out on american land has a chance for Aurstalian land too which makes things more interesting.

Comment

ok berzerker is our 5th civ, so we can start monday. we just have to decide the civs.

Comment

I'll take the French - the Northmen

And I suggest the Arab position start out in India, not the desert. And the Chinese can start closer to Japan - this should give the Zulus Africa while the others can share Asia.
                I've played the world map for fun and the Australian position is weak, maybe it would be better if they start in N America...
                <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Berzerker (edited November 24, 2000).]</font>

Comment

Can i be in it as 6th player?

------------------
                  Woke23,

Proud member of Sayen
                  Woke23, proud member of Europe

Comment

I have figured out how to establish the starting positions of the Tribes. I did it using the map editor. This allowed me to move and establish a "start city" which is where settlers begin.

I created the map by editing the Large World Map that came with my Civ 2 Gold CD. It is 75 x 120.

I now have a 6 Tribe Map which uses the following:

French - start in western Europe (38,32)
                    Russian - start in middle Asia (54,26)
                    Mongolians - start in NorthEast Asia (Northern China) (53,63)
                    Chinese - SouthEast Asia (Southern China) (63,60)
                    Babylonians - start in Northern India (53,63)
                    Egyptian - start in middle Africa (42,73)

I had to use Egyptian and Babylonians because the game uses tribe groups (colors).

I started each tribe on a river square. I added 2 rivers in the Mongolian (NE Asia area) to allow the river start.

I also added some forests to Africa, India and China, because I felt they were behind in productive squares. I created some "natural barriers" (mountains, hills or lakes) between each tribe. They are not large barriers, and I did this to balance the barriers already between other tribes ( like the Mediterian Sea, Red Sea and Himilayian Mountains).

I think that this map will give a balanced start. Since I have seen the map, I will be the last to choose my tribe. I will not know where special resources are, because those will be randomized at the start.

I will try to create a GIF of the map before we start so you have a rough idea of location.

Let me know what you think of the using the map I describe here.

Epik

Comment

Something I do not know...

Does everyone need a copy of the 6 Tribe Map I created, or does only the Host need it.

I use Mac OS. Does the map file have to have a special file extension for the others to use it?

Hopefully one of you have done maps before and can educate me on this.

Comment

i don't think everyone needs the map but i'm not sure. I'll take Egypt since they are usually my civ anyway.

Comment

Sorry Epik, but on second thought I wont be joining this one. I just finished Dip V and need a break with the Diplomacy tournament going on and all.

Comment

ok berzerker, no problem, maybe you can sub occasionally. Species can take over the spot.

Comment

I doubt that U'll will change your mindset(or start times) for this game but i'll use the thread to throw out some alternative ideas.

I'm certain many of Civ MP players that are extremely wary of ANY manipulation of the rules or maps to achieve "fairness" or "equality". Thus, we will not get involved in any contest where ANYONE changes / messes with what is an EXCELLENT game system as designed. All this discussion smacks of communists "leadership" trying to figure out how the world should set up & run. (plus, it's so much waste of valuable & limited play time)

Why don't U just PLAY? Why must all this time & energy be spent on managing the start? Especially for a DIPLO game, where U have 4000 years, thru untold players & eras to affect the end results? It is supposed to be about cooperation & building civ's... or being hell-bent on destroying each other as soon as U find'm?

To try to pre-manage the outcome so that U end up with civ's that are all designed to be "equal" in opportunity, size, & everything else, is to not understand the fun of it nor how well Sid & his fellow geniuses designed in subtle play balances. (as cited; 1 of reasons raging barbs=good idea).
                              Nor are U recognizing the fact that "little" countries like Portugal, Netherlands, Japan, Sweden, Eygpt made BIG civ's during history. Or that "big", resource-rich countries like Australia or Brazil have never become major powers.

PLAY ON & stop talking about the "perfect" setup!!
                              -----------------------------------------------------
                              Regarding the map... once again, HAVE SOME FAITH & FUN!
                              Where's the adventure in playing on the same old, tired, too-well-known, earth? Be bold! Be true adventurers! Be LEADERS!
                              "Go forth where no man has ever gone before!"

Have U ever thot how interesting it mite be to have the news reports flow in as they REALLY did? In bits & pieces, as parts of this new world are explored & reported (or NOT, as your situation mite dictate)?

At some point, just as in our own history, maps can be published for others to see, understand, & follow the action. As for describing where U are & what happens during the 1st thousand years or so, get creative! Be like the explorers(!), send back dispatches, notes, perhaps even roughly sketched maps (perhaps even FALSE maps, aye?).
                              Get those fine minds of yours OUT OF THE BOX. Get creative! Get bold! Dare to take what & whom U find, & work something with them!

PLAY ON, chaps! Are thee men or manipulators!
                              ==================================================
                              If there are those amoungst the readers of this that feel the same urge for adventure & challenge, wishing to play a game based on the US model instead or the USSR model... start a thread & let's see if we have the interest & talent(& timetables) out there!

Thanks for the forum & good luck how ever U do it.

------------------
                              "Hm-m-m, doubt me you will?"
                              <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by KenThur (edited November 25, 2000).]</font>
                              "Hm-m-m, doubt me you will?"

Comment

I have created a new topic for discussing the use of edited maps...

Well we lost Berzerker. Species8472 if you still can join us on Monday nights (on a regular basis) then you will be our 5th.

I could prepare a map with 5 starting tribes. I would leave off the Mongols and remove the river I made for them. If we do this, then I will be the last tribe chosen.

Or, we could just use the standard large world map. The American Tribes just, would not be chosen. If we do this, then I would like to claim the French tribe.

Our start date is soon, so we need to finialize our settings.

Epik

Comment

Working...
                                X