No announcement yet.

Looking to start a Play-by-Email game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really like the idea of an accelerated start. We did it in the ancient still running PBEM game, but AI screws up completely your strategy by giving (random?) advantages to everyone, and gives only up to three cities maximum at the start, if I remember right. I think, you can reach this level easyly when playing about half an hour online.
    I would suggest to play either about one hour around 21.00 EDT or split the whole thing into two different PBEM games with an online starting before 21.00 EDT and/or thereafter.

Atomic Dog & CivSmart, when would you be able to play online?

------------------
    greets from the Warrior of sky

Comment

Let's set up an online session for 20:00 Apolyton time (8:00 PM EST) on Thursday, November 2, since that seems to fit the schedules declared so far.

Something we need to establish is the time at which each person will make his move. I've already claimed the time span of 6:00-8:00 Apolyton time; that means I would expect to receive the game from the previous player by 6:00 (6:00 AM EST), and I will send it to the next player by 8:00. Setting up these times is important, because it will determine the order of play, and, therefore, which color is used by each player.

Does everyone agree with the rules stated in the first post of this thread? Let's get any discussion out of the way before the game starts; I don't want someone building a wonder and saying "I didn't know it was 'no wonders'!".

Finally, we need to establish the world size and type. I vote for default settings: normal land mass, varied land form, normal climate, temperate temperature, 4 billion years. For five people, I'd prefer a normal map (50x80), or maybe slightly larger (60x96?).

civsmart - I notice you don't have an ICQ number in your profile. It will make things *much* easier if you download and install ICQ.
      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited October 27, 2000).]</font>

Comment

The proposed settings and rules sound fine to me. The start date and time sound great. Thanks for being so flexible about it.
        "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

I would actually appreciate if you could move that back to 20:30 Apolyton Time on Thursday, November 2.

Also my ICQ# is 92437256.
          As for order of play, i would like to play after 22:00, if no one has laid claim yet. I think larger maps are better. 60x 96 is all right with me. I'm okay with all the rules and settings mentioned.

Comment

Any predefined game setting is ok with me
            I will be online on thursday, 2nd Nov., already much earlier than 20.30 EDT, but as said, I won't be able to play much longer than ultimative latest 22.00 EDT (DOH! I have to sleep and get off for work 4 hours later...)
            My preferred moving time for PBEM is 14.00 - 16.00 EDT, if this matches the plan of DaveV.

------------------

Comment

hmmm... just one suggestion, what do you think about double production? I don't really care about it, but in PBEM this will speed up the game.

------------------

Comment

never mind my time restrictions. i'll just skip my night class. i have priorities, you know. Whatever times the rest of you work out is great with me.

Comment

OK, time for daily Email moves will be:

DaveV (white) 6:00-8:00
                  kengel (green) 14:00-16:00
                  Bohlen (blue) 19:00-21:00
                  civsmart (yellow) 22:00-24:00

I'm no fan of 2x production, but I agree with kengel that it might help reduce the total number of turns, which might give us a better chance of finishing the game.

I'm willing to play white, which will be a disadvantage against the barbarians during the online phase. I'm also willing to host, but I'll just have a dialup connection from a hotel room. If anyone else would rather host (or play white), I'd be happy to step back.
                  <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by DaveV (edited October 30, 2000).]</font>

Comment

I'm going to be traveling on Thursday. I expect to be able to play at the designated time, but I may encounter delays or be unable to login from my hotel. If I fail to show up, just let an AI play for me.

Comment

Never mind.
                      Rather get a Test of Time contest started.
                      Good luck with it.
                      Or if U have T of T, come join us?
                      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by KenThur (edited October 31, 2000).]</font>
                      "Hm-m-m, doubt me you will?"

Comment

hmm... If we would let an AI play for you, it will build all the wonders
                        Better we start it next week, if we see you will not be availible tomorrow?

------------------

Comment

kengell - good point. I hadn't thought about the wonders. But, my schedule has changed for the better and I will be there on Thursday (tomorrow! ).

Comment

What time do we start on Thursday? Will we use ICQ or meet here to get things started?

Comment

I think we've all agreed on a start time of 8:00 EST = 20:00 Apolyton time. I suggest ICQ - I have Bohlen, kengel (no double l, sorry about the typo above), and civsmart on my contact list. The game will continue online until kengel can no longer play "one more turn" , then switch to Email.

Comment

OK. Sounds good. I'll be waiting online tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X