Best Excuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Excuses

Tonight, while playing a duel with Mercantile, the game ended earlier than expected. I knew I was doomed to an early evening when he sent the message that his girl friend had shown up an hour or so early.
    Now don't get me wrong... I believe him, and that's a damn good reason for stopping for the evening... but it made me think of some of the excuses I've heard from people to quit a game when they are getting mauled

One of my favorites when I was just stomping on somebody was (and this was at 3 in the morning local time for this guy):

"I have to quit... my room mate is expecting a call"

What are some of the excuses you have heard from people you are trashing... (assuming that they aren't just rude and drop out of the game without saying anything)
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

My wife won't let me play a
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

On a world map at the Zone, I was Celts but oddly to me all human players starting places was showing. Now I realise I must have been unknowingly in a diplo game. I reminded the French player that we were way too close and so as not to pull any punches, I would "have" to go to war with him. After a little quiet-ness all the players pulled out without even a word...

...restarted, and CLOSED the game!!

The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

Well, i knew this was going to come back and haunt me

Ming i am truly sorry the game was cut short. I didn't expect this to happen and i also had hopped to play a bit earlier. I have no qualms showing my might and finishing this game with you, perhaps next Saturday if not, then at your next gaming time when you don't have anyone else to play.

Again my apologies.

As for excuses, i have not heard any, but obviously i have used some

Comment

Mercantile... I wasn't kidding when I said I believed you. You have never been a quiter, and I know we will continue that game in the future...
          I would like to have played some more, but heck, if your girl friend doesn't come first, you are truely addicted and need professional help

So don't sweat it! I was just bored at that point and starting surfing the boards...
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Well as makeo ever so politely hinted, those of us who are married sure have some tales to tell. I mean when your partner starts banging things or whatever your partner does to show your "not paying attention" its game over

------------------
            Don't flog a dead horse!

Comment

Yeah... you know you are doomed when your wife walks in, and sits down right next to you when you are playing, and then starts to have a "meaningful" conversation. You try real hard to keep the conversation going in the direction you think she wants it to go... and you don't dare say "hold on a minute, let me finish my turn" Can you say "TOAST"

Keep on Civin'

Comment

*Sneak feverishly takes marital notes*
                Life and death is a grave matter;
                all things pass quickly away.
                Each of you must be completely alert;
                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Sorry Ming, I have had a hard enough time finding games, and i don't want people to think i won't finish if i am losing. After all, i am losing EVERY game i am in

Just to clarify that statement, she wasn't my girlfriend, she is a girl who just recently became a friend if you know what i mean I honestly didn't expect her to come over to my house that night. Boy was i plesantly surprised

Comment

Wives/girlfriends I can understand.

How about, "My sisters home and I have to let her have the computer" (about ten turns in to a TEAM game....)

I'd name names but he's taken enough abuse lately.

------------------
                    'The absent are always wrong.'

Free the D**d Threads!!
                    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Wezil (edited October 09, 2000).]</font>
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I dont give any excuses... I just throw the game board across the room (opps, playing on PC) and say fu*k this! probably followed by a fu*k you and a reboot.

hmmm... I kinda remember this reaction from Ming one day after an army of horses invaded! hahahaha but if i remember correctly i did bust a treaty.
                      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by My Wife Hates CIV (edited October 09, 2000).]</font>

Comment

I found this awhile back in an old chatlog.txt.

"I really hate to do this but I gotta go to work in 2 hours and I should go to bed"

"oh!what time is it there?"

"4am"

"ok.Pick it up tomorrow..er today?"

"ya sure"

pause

"ah screw it.I got some sick days coming.Keep goin"

"LOL..ok..your call.You must be close to finishing a wonder."

"hehehe..this game is worse than drugs"
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Smash... You gotta love it
                          I've shown up to work tired many, many times... just one more turn... ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And MWHC... funny you should mention that one. I also mentioned it in recently in another thread about quiting games. That's one of the few times I can remember... and yeah, you did break a alliance
                          Boy, did we yell about that one for awhile...
                          The good old days

We still miss your agressive ways... you should get in a game sometime... (we play much faster now )
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

My sweetheart's tolerance of civ playing is closely related to her menstral cycle

------------------
                            Don't flog a dead horse!

Comment

Gaaa!!! So when can I play any of you married folk, stop sawing on your shackles for a while and grace this apolyton newbie with a game! Ming, you seem to be the big cheese around here, so invite me to sub in for a game next time the other guy deserts you, or to start a new. ICQ is 82578048. Teach me the tricks of dip games, but who knows, I might even give you the spanking of a lifetime and send you crying home to Mingapulco...

Comment

Working...
                              X