spaceship in 1AD - a theoretical approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spaceship in 1AD - a theoretical approach

from my knowledge the fastest AC lander in sologames was DaveV in about 1000AD. Paul, and meanwhile some other players succeeded in winning the one city challenge in (or even before) 1500AD. now the time is right for the ultimate challenge: building and launching a spaceship in 1AD, landing on AC in 20AD. settings will be 1x1x, deity, raging hordes.
    it seems this challenge is too hard for only one player. but maybe it can be done in a cooperative multigame. up to seven players/civs can work it out altogether.

my strategical approach is based on at least three players who will fullfill different tasks:
    player one (the researcher) will establish a science city as soon as possible, containing the one city wonders colossus, copernicus, shakespeare and newton. anyone with occ-experience can do this job.
    player two (the ship builder) has to build at least 21 cities until 1AD. he will finally construct the necessary spaceship parts and launch the ship. additionally he should have one of the happiness wonders to make this task not too difficult.
    player three (the coordinator) needs to establish embassies to all other civs as soon as possible. he can also do this by building marco polo and the united nations. this player has to watch out that no one wastes his ressources by researching a tech that is already researched by another player. he also will spread the techs that way, other players can skip unnecessary researches.

the challenge can be made much easier with the help of up to four additional players who especially will collect gold, help researching, produce caravans, establish trade routes etc...

well, this is the idea. who wants to be in?
    justice is might

This is impossible. Even if 7 humans cooperate.
    Now,maybe i am wrong but i dont think so.
    Best wishes and keep us informed.

Launching 1AD,landing 20 Ad. That's one turn.
    I am pretty sure game engine wouldn't make that possible.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by SmartFart (edited July 21, 2000).]</font>
    My life, my rules

Comment

Once you launch the space craft, the length of time for each turn becomes one year no matter when it is launched.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't think so.Not at deity.You're talking 75 turns.
        Maybe on 2x production.I landed a 2x SS in 581AD once with little or no help from others.1x I just can't see it from a random start or any other for that matter.Course I thought OCC was impossible once....
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I know that in SMAC, players have transcended (analogous to SS launch) in around 70 turns (by coordinating the research of their AI allies), so perhaps it could be done in Civ2 along the lines oedo suggests.

One person playing all 7 civs via hotseat might be able to orchestrate it better than several different players trying to cooperate/communicate.

Comment

Modification: start building SS on 1AD, finish on 20AD and launch. Land on 1026.

Comment

May be possible with 7 players, but still unlikely.

Comment

Ming: In that case,i believe it could be done (with helluva luck from the huts). I've never tried earliest landing,but i would like to see if Oedo,Arii,You and Xin could make impossible possible.

Keep me informed,will ya?

------------------
                No i ain't doing much,doing nothing means alot to me (AC/DC)
                My life, my rules

Comment

Nice cast of characters... but for something like this, you need Paul!
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yeah, Paul would be a big help, and perhaps he catches the little bait in the strategy forums
                    but the cast looks excellent so far, so let´s send Jesus to space tomorrow!

concerning giving away cities, it shouldn´t be allowed. playing occ at 4x speed doesn´t really look challenging since I think/hope we will have democracy pretty soon.
                    but we should play an occ-map...
                    justice is might

Comment

My personal best is 1060 AD. I believe that with 3 players cooperating 1 AD is possible, especially given the expanssion rate of the really good players around, and the leapfrog of techs.
                      That would be actually a fun and a diferent type of game to try. It wouldn't take that long either.
                      Another way to look at that challenge would be earliest landing for a team of 3 player, deity raging horde + 4 AI. You would probably need some rule about giving away cities.

Comment

An interesting concept. By the way, oedo, you gave me credit for arii's landing date. He was inspired to that feat by my best landing time, sometime in the 1500s as I recall.

If you want to recruit Paul in this effort, you'll probably have to set it up as a PBEM. Since everyone will be cooperating and the game would be relatively short, that might work.

Comment

playing hotseat is an excellent idea! I gave it a try and created a map with an occ location on it(2whales, silk, wine).
                          I played with 7 civs up to 1000BC. at this time I got democracy, physics, sanitation, economy, bridge building, feudalism and all their prerequisites. My science city was in a good shape. It was a size 12 city containing colossus, copernicus, shakespeare´s, a library, a market place and a university. also there were a temple and a collosseum in it ready for being sold. so it´s just a formality building sewer systems into it and grow the city to 21+ by WLT. it will have a research rate of 2 turns through the rest of the game then.
                          the other civs had 6-12 cities with a maximum size of 4. they recently started producing caravan armies. in some way, they´re struggling. but this is certainly inevitable, since it´s only 1000BC and most of the the gold they produced was transferd to the science city as soon as possible.
                          awesome game but not enough for winning the challenge yet.

but there´s still a lot of potential in it! using the diplomacy screen I had to give away many techs I didn´t want to. this is because in hotseat I always have to interact with the AI. when I traded techs I couldn´t just choose free. I´d say the leapfrog did hardly work, the AI is just too dumb.
                          it was also impossible for me to trade any unit between two civs and I only succeeded once in sharing maps.

I still think it is possible. with seven players in it can be done. four players? don´t know, maybe as well. but seven can more likely do it.
                          justice is might

Comment

*yawn*

We really need to get civ III soon.

Comment

so we have Ming, Xin, rah, arii, Matthew and me showing interest for the game so far. I´d like to give it a try next saturday afternoon/evening. please post here or mail me if you willing and able to play at this time.
                              for further details I will contact you the coming days via mail or ICQ. I also will try to get a proper map until saturday.
                              justice is might

Comment

Working...
                              X