Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok I just got a Civ2 multiplayer CD, now how do I find someone to play against??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I just got a Civ2 multiplayer CD, now how do I find someone to play against??

Im a total newbie at civ2 multiplayer, just got it 1 hour ago, now what is the best way to find people to play against? Sounds pretty tedious to do it on this message board, specially since I live in Iceland and its about 5-8 hours after USA, and a few hours before the mainland of europe.

Isnt there a host like Kali or something where players meet easily?

Yeah, it's hard to get a game going just using this board. Everyone here uses ICQ to make things much easier.

The other thing you could do is sign up for the Microsoft gaming Zone. I've never done that myself, but I hear there are games going on there.

There's also the HS-Gameleague forum here. Again, I've never used it, but others do, and it should make it easier to find a match.

No matter what, ICQ is just about a prerequisite. There are, quite often, connection problems, and ICQ is used to iron them out, among other things.

Good Luck! Hope to play you soon.

Comment

If you want to play with anyone here, you have to be really really nice to people to get a game and then promise not to take all the happy wonders once playing. In fact until you lose your newbie status, which we decide, not you, you are not allowed to build any happy wonders. Also, you have to call everyone "sir" or "maam" when addressing them on "chat with Kings" during a game, and you are only allowed to speak when spoken to.

------------------
      Founder of the People's Republic of Topics (PROT)
      Convenor, Threadjacking Appreciation Society (TAS)
      Proprietor, Apolyton Tea Shop http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum19/H...tml?date=00:06

Comment

AH... HA HA HA HA! Well done

Just get ICQ from icq.com
        It's free, and most of us use it to set up games.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: "Play with Australians at your own risk."

Comment

I confirm, ICQ is a most helpful tool to find a game (at least to start them ).

I just started a thread with useful information, just have a look here: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001768.html

------------------
            greets from the Warrior of sky

Comment

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention, you also have to

Bow Down 2 Horse!

Everybody does

------------------
              Founder of the People's Republic of Topics (PROT)
              Convenor, Threadjacking Appreciation Society (TAS)
              Proprietor, Apolyton Tea Shop http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum19/H...tml?date=00:06

Comment

Everybody rides the Horse.
                The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Ok newbie question: What is "hotseat" game? How can I make an open game where people can join even once its started?

Comment

A hotseat game is one that is played on just one computer, with people taking turns on the same machine.

As to your second question... when you are setting up the game, one of the "game options" is to have an open game... ie, one where people can join in at any time as long as there is an available civ. A closed game is just the opposite. However, I would recommend that any game you play be an open game. Many times, somebody will drop from the game due to technical problems. If it is an open game, they can just try to get back in.
                    If not, everybody has to back out, and you have to start again from your last save.

Good luck.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Neutron go to www.zone.com thats the easiest place to find civ2 players and get a game going fast I think. The only problem is the games can get pretty long, and its hard finding the same players there again to continue the save game...so if you dont have ALOT of spare time on your hands its best to just play with few ppl and on a small map. If you want longer games then this is the place to find people, or on icq, since the game will prolly take a week to finish (if you have a life that is :P)
                      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Apollo (edited September 15, 2000).]</font>

Comment

Oh Horse, you are so utterly shameless! On the other paw, that was Great! I'm still laughing... *s*

Apollo - You're in the right place to find a multiplayer game. You just have to watch out for people like old Horse...

There are 3 places to find games. One is MSN Zone. It a bit of a madhouse, and I don't really recommend it. They start games and then disappear on you. It can be quite frustrating. Still, some people enjoy it there.

A second place is GameLeague. It is a bit organized and there are ratings kept. You might find that worthwhile. There is also a game ladder there.

The 3rd place is right here in Apolyton Multiplaying forum. Look for the "Setting Up Games" threads. You can often find people ready to play at the same time you are.

Most people use ICQ software to keep in touch during a game. It is separate from Apolyton, like email is. But it gives instant messaging when things get disconnected and is very useful. It also allows group chat for setting up a game when you find people ready to play. I'm sure you can find it at ICQ.com, just download whatever version is offerred; I don't know the newest one, but different version tend to work OK with each other.

Last note. When I started here, several players helped me learn how it worked; short practice games and all that. If I am around when you are, I'll be happy to pass that tradition along.

Get ICQ and my number is 37552809...
                        Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Another option is GameRanger.com which is a Macintosh site but a PC-user might also be able to access it. While I'm not impressed by the people who I have played against there, it is easy to START a game; finishing is another matter all together. BTW, Mac-users and PC-users can easily play together/against each other as long as they both have the current game patches (both available from the ACS Database or the respective software companies MacSoft and Microprose). Smash had a recent thread linking to both patches.

I started a "Open Player Game" especially for newbies a couple of weeks ago (see thread by that name in this Forum) which plays on Tuesday and Thursday nights (with the exception of Cub Scout and other kid relate interuptions ). You are welcome to join that as your time permits. Also like Cavebear, I too would be willing to play a "short" game to help you understand how to set it up. Send me an e-mail or ICQ (if you can catch me!).

Good luck and welcome!

------------------
                          "And now for something completely different..."
                          - John Cleese
                          "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Hey Apollo - it turned up okay, did it?

------------------
                            finbar
                            Mono Rules!
                            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Apollo

I am a newbie as well and would love to get into a multi-player game. As soon as you figure out the best way to do it let me know and I will play.
                              I DIG LOVE

Comment

Working...
                              X