No announcement yet.

Legends from the Non-Diplo Front I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excuse my naivety, but what is the difference between a diplo game and a non-diplo game?

and suas, capo, if you want to get involved in one of these games i am very willing to try one. Reply in the other topic i created so we can set something up.

------------------
    Metalhead Greater Sayen, and all 'round nice guy
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Very little that I've been able to discern Ozzy.

Both variations allow victory to be assumed by all winning allies. Diplo assumes an additional responsibility to make regular posts to the story thread.

------------------
      'The absent are always wrong.'

Free the D**d Threads!!
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

My sense of a diplo game is that one object of it seems to be to deliberately keep all players and civs in the game. Another seems to be to construct logical national boundaries, as in the real world. Third, a diplo game seems to require diplomacy as a required first source of resolving disputes.

In a non-diplo game (as distinguished from a diplo game), there is no concern for keeping all the players going. Anyone who felt able is fully free to wipe out another, and there is no expectation of prior discussion or justification for attack. The game *can* be won through conquest.

I differentiate non-diplo from "regular" play, though, in that warfare or city capture is not a primary strategy for winning. This style of game is for builders and scientists, not chat diplomacy of warriors. Military development is mainly defensive, and there is little chat diplomacy to advise others of intent and planned actions.
        Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
        Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
        Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
        Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

The Philadelphia Gazette
          May 26, 1834

With the release of the Government's evaluation of the 1830 census, we at the Gazette see cause to congratulate the citizens and Leaders of our great Nation.

Since the successful resolution of the 1804 "Time of Troubles", much progress has been made, and Americans are justly proud of their accomplishments. Once again, peace and prosperity abound. Even our once-antiquated military capacity has been brought up-to-date with the latest technology and training. Seeing our troops throughout the Nation, confident and prepared, yet devoted to our Democratic form of Government, brings a feeling of security to one and all.

The census indicates that our cities are oases of opportunity and wealth for our burgeoning population of traders and tradesmen alike. The increase in efficient and worker-friendly industries, the abundance of soul-restoring parks and entertainment arenas, and the progressive new public school system promise further enhancement of our quality of life.

This sort of improved health, general well-being, and education are certain to show results in the future, as our younger citizens grow to adulthood in an atmosphere of progress and respect for honest but rewarding work.

Looking back, we consider the "Time of Troubles" to have been a turning point in our Nation's history. Recently declassified documents reveal the extent to which the English Government under his majesty, King Warning, worked behind the scenes to supress the 1804 attack on our colonies from expanding to a World War.

Though we were not aware of it at the time, the Leaders of both countries were striving to control long-developing tensions between the two Nations.

It is with relief, now, that we see evidence of an ambitious English local Governor seeking advancement and attention from his own Government. The terms of disengagement, once mysterious to us (and a surprise to all Americans), are now shown in the light of day
          as an extreme effort of good will and sincere regret on the part of good King Warning and his most able Prime Minister.
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

The Philadelphia Gazette
            May 28, 1849

Extra, Extra, Read All About It -

French land on Alpha Centuri, Americans on board the colonizing space ship!

We at the Gazette are shocked at the news coming the short wave radios from all around the country! Had one of our staff not been one of the short wave hobbists, and assured us of the authenticity of the reports, we would have doubted the claims ourselves!

Fortunately, the Government (for once) immediately released details of the expeditionary force. We whole-heartedly applaud their forth-rightness (and archly suggest it become a standard mode of operations).

Using the till-now-secret inter-warp transponders, American colonists included on the French Space Ship have contacted Earth with news of their voyage and successful landing on an earthlike planet orbiting Alpha Century. They report that the air smells a bit odd, and that the higher percentage of helium makes their voices sound a bit odd, too. Mostly though, the messages are ones of triumph, sucess, and relief! We blame them not the least bit for that last concern.

Apparently, when the preparations for the French Space Ship were underway, American scientists, ordinary citizens, and Captains of Industry secretly provided essential aid in the design and protection/security of the marvelous ship the French were building.

We at the Gazette can only offer our stunned awe at the bravery, the swiftness, and the (obvious) operational sucess of the combined venture. This combination of efforts between the 2 major Democracies is a shining light and an example to all Nations.

Comment

Journal of the Boston Astronomical Society
              May 28, 1849

The preliminary report of the technical committee is hereby printed in full.

Dr. Richard Franklin, presiding:

"I am pleased to release, by Government consent, certain information regarding the recent landing of an interstallar vehicle on the 2nd planet of Alpha Centuri.

"The colony ship was developed primarily by the French government with technical assistance from American scientists. This joint venture shows the value of multinational scientific cooperation. (pauses for drink of water)

"French scientists have long had the recources for exploration of outer space. They also had manufacturing capabilities beyond our own. Fortunately for our Nation, American scientists have excelled in theory and design. Being short of resources ourselves, we have been forced to make advances in certain areas which were beneficial to the French effort.

"In exchange for this assistance, the French government, in cooperation with the American Government, arranged for the inclusion of American colonists on the French spaceship. Of the 10,000 colonists on board, 2,000 are Americans. These American colonists, in keeping with our Democratic traditions represent all walks of life. The chosen ones were selected with care, yet with diversity.

There are both artists and scientists, men and women, traders and tradesmen, architects and farmers, and even young and old. Within those categories, the diversity of our population is thoroughly represented.

"I am assured that, from our National melting pot, members of virtually all cultures and opnions are represented! I can offer no finer testimony to the intelligence of the project Leaders that that simple statement!

"Thank you for attending. Are there any questions."

Comment

telegram from the NET

Congratulations to the French and Americans reaching ACStop
                Glad they decided to work together on such a massive projext Stop
                Always better to work together instead of blowing the world apartStop
                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Memphis PhotoJournalism Weekly
                  May 28, 1849

Editorial

Well all you developing (heh-heh) fanatics out there, it looks like we got caught with our lights on!

Those incoming pictures of the receding Earth we initially thought were a hoax turned out to be real. The photos our intrepid colonists took from space as their vessel departed our planet are for real!

They say they weren't too sure of the settings, so they just took pictures at all kinds of settings hoping some would turn out right. Don't you love it? Amateurs!

Well, be that as it may, they came up with a couple of real gems. The telescopic one of the Hoover Dam with the waters reflecting the sunrise are very good, and we really liked the Earthrise as they passed the moon. Something tells me you won't find *that* one in your average album!

The award, though, goes to whoever put that camera on the winch aimed in at a window. The sight of some of the Nation's finest and bravest folks (and why didn't they invite *me* I wonder)waving out the spaceship windows came out beautifully.

Frank Z took the time (already!) to do an enlargement of the window shot of the American colonists. Dang if they don't seem to have champagne glasses and plates of BBQ pork. We suspect our more exuberant colonists will make a real mark on the new colony!

Anyway, folks, we hope to have a regular feature here with new photos from Alpha Century as the weeks go by.
                  <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by cavebear (edited June 05, 2000).]</font>

Comment

(eyes only)

CIC to "Mr H"

The recent landing on A/C proves the possibility we have been expecting for some years. Given the success of that mission, it now behooves us to disseminate the technical information to our allies and to all people of good will and peace. You have my list. The English have been on it since Baltimore was returned to us, and the Sioux must be included as well.

Get them the tech specs in your usual quiet manner. This should not remain a secret among the remaining Democratic Nations. I simply will *not* treat this abilty to explore space as a matter known to only a privledged few countries.

Meanwhile Mr. H, your Government is indebted to yourself and to your Father, and we have not forgotten that. Your Father was the critical actor during the "Time of Troubles", and you have been the one to lead some of our people to a new world.

When you decide that your service to your country is complete (and I neither encourage nor discourage your retirement), I have in my possession a medal of honor that cannot be awarded openly. The model spaceship is pure platinum, and I brocaded the ribbon myself. I have something similar for your Father, too, that I prepared many years ago.

When you are ready, come to the White House and use the code name you chose so many years ago. I will be most eager to make the acquintance of someone I have trusted for so long, yet have never met.

Until then, Mr H, godspeed and good health!

ER

Comment

The final post on our Sunday Game.

Sadly it is over. It was started in January by Prehensile, Cavebear, Bohlen and me. Prehensile (French) won, Cavebear (Americans) second and Bohlen (Sioux) was a close third last weekend. Me -- well lets just say LOSER!

Actually I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It is one of few that I have played to conclusion. My intent when starting it was to play a game at a regular time with good players. We occassionally could not play and that was fine because we all have lives outside of Civ. To sacrifice so much time consecutively every weekend is unrealistic.

I want to take a break for a few weeks because it's summer. In August I will likely start inquirying if the Sunday Gamers will want to resume again. I see there are some other interested folks here -- if you really are let me know by email swarner6@home.com and I will be sure to let you know when we are planning for our next game.

Prehensile, Cavebear and Bohlen ... till next time and thanks. And to anyone who is considering a game with these guys they are dedicated great players. Watch out for Prehensile &lt;g&gt;.

WarningU2
                      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by WarningU2 (edited June 04, 2000).]</font>
                      WarningU2 Member of CIvilization Players Multiplayer League
                      ---------------------------
                      "A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Comment

Working...
                      X