Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I can't host and other problems with MSICS: The Answer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I can't host and other problems with MSICS: The Answer!

Finally I got the answer to this.
    I can't host a civ2MP game;
    Folks can't send me files by icq;
    Others can't initiate chat in icq;
    Folks have troubles uploading my mp3's with Napster etc etc...

In other words everything works fine for me as a client but because I got a home/office network using 'MSInternetConnectionSharing' the 'packets' get lost for anyone trying to connect to me

My nephew is doing that certified MS course and he says it's a bug in Windows 98 SE which includes MSICS. Last thing I expected! But shoulda been the first

I've got to get a program called WinRouter I think that allows you to control ports and packets... gotta learn about this but will update you when I work it out.....

I know others have the same problem.

------------------
    *THE DEITY*

Just use your Mac for crying out loud!

------------------
    finbar
    Mono Rules!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Try using a telephone line instead of a piece of string and two cans

Comment

lol @ finbar...he beat me to what I was going to say
        TheAppleGuy
        ICQ 38916748

Comment

Well finbar, you know I am a Mac freak too but I don't think a network of Macs can share an Internet connection on one modem using the MacOS? Let me know someone...

------------------
          *THE DEITY*

Comment

I can't imagine why not. I'll ask around those who know more than I do. Which might take a while. There are zillions of them.

------------------
            finbar
            Mono Rules!
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Pick up an old PC, install two network cards and install Linux (there are some good pages on the web for this -> Linux router project) to turn it into an internet router. The best solution in my mind.
              Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

get a hub and you can share.More money
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I had that same problem with ICS, it's not really a bug, ICS just closes most of the inbound TCP ports by default. There are several utilities out there to configure ICS but you would have to know what ports that Civ2 uses. I emailed microprose to try and find out but they never returned my request. I've since switched to Sygate, another network address translation program that doesn't close any ports by default. It does cost 30.00US but is more user friendly than ICS. Hope this helps some

DarkStorm, proud member of the Sayen
                  Knowledge IS Power....

Comment

You've got it right, Smash, I think. Why didn't I think of it? I'm getting a hub to run our two Macs off the one modem when I get cable. Well, I've got the cable fitted, I'm only waiting on the modem. Why is it that things are in short supply just when you need them?

Deity - you can pick up a hub from Dick Smith, apparently.

------------------
                    finbar
                    Mono Rules!
                    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by finbar (edited May 22, 2000).]</font>

Comment

Well, to use MS ICS I use 2 hubs already! That's not the point, I don't think?
                      I got 5 PC's connected with 2 hubs (uplinked, 3 PC's as the 'Family' workgroup, 2 as the business).
                      One modem, on my machine, connects all to the internet, using MS ICS.
                      So we are talking a software problem here, not hardware. But finbar, I also got 3 Macs connected to the same network using PCMacLan! I'd love to know if there is a software solution to allow them to use the SAME single connection on my Win98 machine, any clues???

Sygate sounds like an alternate software solution to MS ICS - Microprose never responds much I'ds really like to know the port info for CivMP.

The Linux solution sounds interesting too, CapTVK. I've just installed RedHat 6.2 on one PC, so if this PC had the modem I can use it as a common internet connection?

Thanks so far everyone, and sorry Ming if this is in the wrong thread.... should we link it elsewhere?

BTW, playing CivMP on my LAN is no problem at all and yes, each computer is used by someone

------------------
                      *THE DEITY*

Comment

ok.Big game at The Deity's.I'll book a flight straight away.
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Jeez, Deity, with the amount of hard- and soft-ware you've got, you'll be a prime target come the nuclear Armageddon!

I can see it now on CNN News: "Sleepy Hamlet On Central Coast of New South Wales Vaporised".

------------------
                          finbar
                          Mono Rules!

Comment

Iadkins,

About using Linux as an internet router...
                            Yes, if you have a modem installed and you can access the internet you can share that connection with other machines. There's a lot of information on how to do this available on the web. It might take a day to setup and run properly but it will keep on going and going and....(at least until you turn your pc off)-&gt;That's where the dedicated linux box comes in.

Note: the PC with Red Hat 6.2 must also have a network card installed so it can share its connection (of course). But seeing your present setup this shouldn't pose much of a problem.

My first suggestion 'a dedicated linux box' is still best however. It only requires a 386/486 pc with 4-8mb ram and a floppy drive installed, no monitor or HD required. You can pick up those things practically for free these days.

These boxes are mostly used with cable modems but can also use an ordinary modem and a network card to make this work.

Check out: http://www.linuxrouter.org/
                            <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by CapTVK (edited May 24, 2000).]</font>
                            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                            X