Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host Tech Removal Tool

Since it might be useful:
    here is a small tool which removes host techs for speed up game starts.
    Unzip it into the civ2 main directory.

How it works?
    1. Start a game
    2. if host starts with techs: Save the game
    3. Let all players retire
    4. double click on "adv_term.exe"
    5. it will prompt for the file name of the saved game, just type it it in (do not forget the file extension .net)6. Load the game as an usual internet game. The host techs are removed.

For the interested ones, the zip also contains the source code in C.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files

If this works, you will certainly make Rah a happy camper...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It works!

And very nice to have the source code...

I know because we used it yesterday in our new Wednesday euro time "in game diplo" game.

winzity ICQ 30339567
      Please note I don't longer use the mail address winzity@hotmail.com.
      Please ask me on ICQ or use Apolytons e-mail function if you want to send e-mail to me.

Comment

It could be helpful, but our normal average for starts to get one without techs is 2, so I don't think this would save much time. And it's fun to hear people p*ss and moan about the start they didn't get.

But there are those nights where it takes 5-6 starts that I would kill for something like this. And I can remember one start that placed me on a one square island and gave me a heck of a lot of techs to compensate. Removing the techs whouldn't have helped that one.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
          And it's fun to hear people p*ss and moan about the start they didn't get.
          Its fun to p*ss and moan as well
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

First time I saw this thread, I imagined a tech tool for removing the host...
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Kengel, I have a related question.

I have looked at the source. You were obviousely familiar with the memory addresses of Tech values when you wrote this tool.

I wonder do you know if the problem with King Chat limitation (8 kb) could be solved in the same way, by finding the value (8 kb) in the exe file and then modifying it.

Comment

too pissed to check
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I remember the starting tech removal tool back from a year or two. Is this a new version?
                  Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    And it's fun to hear people p*ss and moan about the start they didn't get.
                    Hmm. which players would those be?

I always thought techs were a way to compensate ****ty surrounding terrain? Might be a possible variable control to avoid tampering with

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                      Hmm. which players would those be?
                      Everyone.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

it maybe to compensate for bad starting position , but yet the host is predominatly the one that gets the techs
                        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

...and what the AI considers a bad position is at variance with what a human player might think.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                            it maybe to compensate for bad starting position , but yet the host is predominatly the one that gets the techs
                            The host is the only human player receiving techs, this is why clean starts were invented.

Comment

yep. But I don't think Ras was thinking that one all the way through.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X