Longest game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest game?

I got the idea for this question from a post by SCG in the Strategy forum.

What's the longest game you've played? I don't mean in terms of hours but rather in terms of years on the calendar, i.e., when you get the pop-up window in 2020 (or after AC), does anyone keep playing and if so, how long have you stuck with a game?

I imagine bloodlusters would be more likely to fall in this category.

------------------
    Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
    Frodo lives!

I furthest I ever played IIRC was something like 3100...it was fun. I just kept hiding and running from the AI. Then I got a nice little empire and perfected it.
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

My longest was my 1st OCC game!!! i landed in 2032, way behind the AI too?!?! before that i'd never played past 2008, which was turning into a 30-40 minute job each turn, so i just retired!!!!
      "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
      ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

I think i passed the 3200 once...

Comment

Cool, i'm a chieftain...

Comment

30 - 40 minutes Oldman, you should have seen my hour and a half and counting turns. Oh, I was playing of Chieftain for fun, should explain things like that.
            *grumbles about work*

Comment

I am playing a game into the 2600's at the moment. it started as an OCC, then I decided to expand after the launch. with the UN, nobody can declare war on me, and I buy an nemy city now and then off my non democratic neighbors, developing the land with hordes of NONE engineers.
              I am slowly spreading across the world, and my turns are getting a bit longer. for the first 300 years after the launch. I would take mmy turn, then go and do something while the computer took its several. My wife wonders how I could do dishes while playing civ!
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Father Beast on 08-13-2000 04:26 PM
                My wife wonders how I could do dishes while playing civ!

LOL

Comment

I've only gotten to 22??
                  But thats because I play on large maps and found cities like crazy as do the other civs and after a while you start to get 39 pop-up windows a turn telling you 'there are too many cities'

This is very annoying so I started to cheat and nuked some British cities to level 1 and destroyed them.

However this didn't work so I destroyed some French cities the same way. After a while though I gave up. The game was really fun but the pop-up windows ruined it.

It was played with the 'Colonization' scenario.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I have a steady civ pal with whom I play once every week. We usually play a game till the game runs out and we are forced into retirement with perfected, maxed out cities.
                    Apolyton Empress
                    "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

I usually don't play after 2020 and sometimes I retire even earlier, because it's so boring when you see that you are winning and the stupid AI does the same mistakes over and over again: they sneak-attack me, I buy or conquer a city ot 2, make peace for 3 or 4 turns then they sneak-attack me, I conquer a city ... over and over again.
                      I play after 2020 only if the game is still balanced and nobody is clearly winning or if the AI is stronger or bigger than me. The most annoying for me is that I can't see the powergraph after 2020.

BTW, can you see the powergraph while you're playing? I sometimes save the game, retire and then reload, only to see the powergraph.
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

Tiberius - to see the powergraph without quitting:

1. Turn on cheat mode (Ctrl-K)
                        2. Reveal entire map (using shift-F2)
                        3. Check civ score (F9)

Comment

Thanks, Dave.

Unfortunately I (almost) never cheat, but I will try it. However I think it would be nice that in future civs (Civ3) we could check the powergraph whenever we want.
                          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                          --George Bernard Shaw
                          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                          --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                          X