Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifing game to allow 8-9 AI civs.

Hello all,

I spent quite a bit of time scouring this site's archives but could not find much on this subject.

Currently Civ II allows you(1) plus 7 other civs to play. I would very much like to modify the basic game to allow 8 or 9 other civs (plus your own).

I have made the neccessary additions to city.txt and rules.txt. Also units.gif comes with an extra brown flag (apparently used when a civ splits into two in a civil war situation -- interestingly enough I have never had that occur in 3 years of playing) so adding a flag color isnt neccessary unless I increased AI civs to 9.

My question is now what???

I either need to hex edit some files for which I will need guidance from those of you knowledgeable... or better yet... Is there a way to decompile the executable so I can access the source code directly??

Thanks in advance... hopefully there is someway to increase the amount of total civs allowed in the game....

Platypus
    LordEmperor

------------------
    "Platypi shall inherit the world"
    LordEmperor Platypus

Additionally.... not sure if you need this info but here it is...

I have FW installed....

Also, I DO NOT want to make these changes as a scenario.... I wish to modify the basic game...

Thanks again
    LordEmperor Platypus

Comment

as far as I know there is no way of doing this. This is hard coded. They couldn't even change this in the TOT game. 7 human civs and 1 barbarian is the limit.

Comment

Freeciv allows up to 14 civs at the moment but you need Linux or an X-server for windows to run it. It ain't up to the same level as Civ2 ,at least not yet (there isn't a native windows version available for the moment). But it might be worth to check out, they're always looking for coders to help out. So who knows?
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Well it would appear that there is no way to do that then... enough time has elapsed and there have been no positive responses.

Well, its not my first choice, but how would one set up for more than 7 AI Civs in a scenario? I have seen tibdbits here that hint that is possible but no detailed directions on how to do such a thing.

Any takers??

------------------
          LordEmperor Platypus

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CapTVK on 12-28-1999 02:58 PM
            Freeciv allows up to 14 civs at the moment but you need Linux or an X-server for windows to run it. It ain't up to the same level as Civ2 ,at least not yet (there isn't a native windows version available for the moment). But it might be worth to check out, they're always looking for coders to help out. So who knows?

1) I increased the number of civs from 14 to 30
            2) There is now a native windows version

http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Krushala, Is there a way to get the barbarian civ to start thinking properly like a normal civ? ie building settlers, expanding, improving terrain, researching etc etc!?!?!?
              "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
              ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

Thue, why 30? I can guess that you used 32(2^5) - 2, but what are the other two numbers for?

Comment

If I remember correctly there are also two barbarian civs. 30+2=32
                  Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

CapTVK: correct.

btw, the number 7 in civ 1 & 2 must be 2^3(8), ie 7 civs and one barbarian. And since that will be used as a bitvector it is not possible to easily increase.
                    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Working...
                    X