Balancing the Howie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing the Howie

Many people will agree that the Howitzer is far too powerful of a unit and not balanced very well. I was kicking around ideas on how to modify the unit to make it more balanced. I also think that the tank should be the most powerful ground unit in the game, and not the howitzer. With these goals in mind, I made the following changes:

1) Reduced the movement rate of the howitzer to 1.
    I felt that the abilitiy to ignore city walls was a powerful enough upgrade over standard artillery, and that the added movement point was too much. The reduced movement rate better reflects the vulnerability of artilery pieces to attack from other units. With a movement of one, you almost have to stack the unit with another defensive unit. Further, the tank unit gains a bit in terms of balance against the howitzer because of the tanks even greater mobility compared to the howitzer.

2) Increased the cost of the howitzer to 100 shields.
    This should reduce the number of howitzers you build. The ability to ignore city walls is probably worth even more than this modest price increase.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I was also trying to come up with ways to balance railroads a bit more. As it stands now, railroads seem way too powerful. They amount to increasing the movement points of all your ground units to infinity.

Both those suggestions are reasonable..........if I was to change civ2 I'd nerf howies and spies a bit, and probably make caravans contribute less to science.

Comment

Talking about changes: I would kick the goodie huts out, or at least tone down their importance. Right now I have the feeling that at higher difficulty levels to much depends on luck with goodie huts in the beginning, when you want to have a good game.

Comment

What's a howitzer?

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
          What's a howitzer?

SG[1]

I used to play with the various unit characteristics - one thing I tried was taking away the 'ignore walls' toggle on Howitzers, and giving Marines the 'ignore walls' along with a firepower boost. Makes the Howitzer less useful and provides a use for Marines. But then the game got really slow, and I just wound up using Spies for conquest.

Really, the game is not intended to be a straight-up combat simulation - and most things, such as trade, work really well. There are lots of aspects of Civ that make me wonder if the programmers planned things to work that way, or if it was just amazing good luck
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

There are lots of aspects of Civ that make me wonder if the programmers planned things to work that way, or if it was just amazing good luck
            I came to the conclusion a long time ago that there is no way it is all design that Civ2 is as great as it is SP and MP. Of course the fundamental solidity of the game is the fertile ground in which greatness grows, but there is no doubt in my mind that serendipity is also a factor.

Comment

1, sounds fair, not for the movement as there are railroads or engineers to make them but for the 2 attacks witch makes them too powerfull.

2, Just deliver a couple of more caravans, no biggie.

Overall sounds like a good idea

Comment

Re: Balancing the Howie

Originally posted by necrosmith

1) Reduced the movement rate of the howitzer to 1.
                Ever heard of the USArmy's Palladin (sp?), or the Crusader program, both of which are 6" howitzers on a tank chassis? The whole idea is to make the artillery as mobile as the tanks, able to "shoot&scoot" before counterbattery fire can take them out. They even come with armored resupply vehicles now that have auto-feed conveyors.

Comment

All civ is an abstraction.........the foremost consideration when making any changes should be the effect on gameplay. Of course there are people (they live mostly in the civ future and past forum) who think that anything that adds realism is good, and since reality is 'balanced' if the game representation is good the game will be balanced. These people are, of course, a little bit misguided, and usually think more about playing than actually playing.

Hence I think the changes proposed have merit, regardless of the probable truth of your statement.

Comment

In most of my games I sweep the board at the cavalry stage -- I’m not fast enough to do it with the crusaders (but maybe it is also a function of map size), so howies & tanks don’t enter my playbook often (maybe once a year nowadays.)

For SP, a major problem I’ve seen is that the ai doesn’t use howies well (of course the ai doesn’t use a LOT of units well), so if you’re looking for a handicap, make one.

Construct “divisions” & buy/build your units with strict quotas -- 12 mechs, 2 tanks & 2 howies for an infantry division, 6 mechs, 8 tanks and 2 howies for an armor division -- one division can be transported with two transports, nobody sails until the boats are full. Howies are auxilery at the division level & can only be acquired (and “used”) with the accompanying forces.

Similar exist thoughts for MP -- or maybe ban/restrict their use.

The solution might be better served another way -- if the ai uses tanks better, upgrade the tanks. Let their bullets have 2x power & see what happens.
                    Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

I've left the howitzer and armor units alone in my copy of Civ II, but have changed a few other things:

1. Spies: Movement is reduced to two, cost increased, and they must observe ZOCs. Even so, they're still incredibly powerful, IMHO.

2. Artillery: I gave this unit the ability to ignore city walls, and the AI makes good use of this new ability (prior to this modification, artillery was almost useless against walled cities on rivers [or not] that had anything above musketeers guarding them).

3. Shock troops: This is a unit I made from the "extras" that the Civ II designers included in the units file. This is an elite, expensive ground unit that has an attack of 14, and the ability to treat all terrain squares as flat land (i.e. alpine troops), and its hit and firepower points are upped. Shock troops, however, cannot ignore the effects of city walls.

4. Stingray: This is another custom unit I created from the "extras" file. It's basically a stealth transport unit capable of carrying four units, and has a base movement range of 7 squares, up to a maximum of 10 squares (if you get Magellan's Expedition and nuclear power). No attack power, but does have a defense of six. IOW, it's hard to find and does have a small chance of winning a battle if it is uncovered by another naval unit such as a submarine, destroyer or AEGIS cruiser (or literally touched by a battleship).

5. Cruise missiles: I made these less expensive, so the AI uses them more liberally now. Before, the AI stored them in cities and used them only against ships; now, it no longer stores them so much, but uses them against ships, armor, shock troops, spies and even against seaport cities that house naval units. Also, it isn't wise to stack other non-targeted units (such as howitzers) with targeted units, for obvious reasons ...

6. Diplomats: Made more expensive and must observe zones of control.

If I do anymore tweaking, it would be to make the shock troops capable of ignoring city walls.

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I also have made "airships" from the extras included in Civ II. It becomes available with invention and becomes obsolete with the discovery of flight. This gives the game an aerial-type unit from the Middle Ages onward; it has an attack of five, defense of 1 and the movement of three (in the form of the ability of a helicopter ... it can stay aloft indefinitely, but grows progressively weaker if not returned to a city).

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                          5. Cruise missiles: I made these less expensive, so the AI uses them more liberally now. Before, the AI stored them in cities and used them only against ships; now, it no longer stores them so much, but uses them against ships, armor, shock troops, spies and even against seaport cities that house naval units. Also, it isn't wise to stack other non-targeted units (such as howitzers) with targeted units, for obvious reasons ...
                          that's interesting, what did you change the cost to?
                          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard

that's interesting, what did you change the cost to?
                            Yes... can you give the A/D/M/Hp/Fp and the 0000010000100111 codes for all the changes?

As I said, I tweaked things for a while. Might be fun to do it again. Still trying to work on the supercarrier unit, so that a) it's worth building, and b) it won't instantly be sunk by cruise missiles
                            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                              I also have made "airships" from the extras included in Civ II. It becomes available with invention and becomes obsolete with the discovery of flight. This gives the game an aerial-type unit from the Middle Ages onward; it has an attack of five, defense of 1 and the movement of three (in the form of the ability of a helicopter ... it can stay aloft indefinitely, but grows progressively weaker if not returned to a city).
                              Sounds like a Zeppelin - useful for exploring the map. Perhaps drop the attack a bit but give it the ability to carry one ground unit? Since it has attack it will count against "units away" in Republic or Democracy: has this been a problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X