Which utilities/helpers do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which utilities/helpers do you use?

For playing Civ2 I have prepared a .bat file that contains: the techtree.jpg, SG's HutFinder (very useful epecially after scrolling was added) ... and ... my Civ2Planner (allows to plan the tech research) and Civ2Beakers (counts beakers accumulated).
    I can't imagine a game without these four helpers.

I want to download Xin's LazyCiv if I will play more than 10 turns per month.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

I don't use any.Just play by feel and experience.

I have used civmanager for big scenarios where lots of rush buying is done.Huge time saver.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I am sorry, I confused LazyCiv and CivManager.

Comment

I have a .txt file which contains a lot of hints and tips culled from the GL and the forums here. The stuff I use mainly is the oedo table, and the chart showing what you can convert specials into by mining/irrigating/transforming.

Otherwise... I can't be bothered to have a bunch of helper programs running.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I do have a printed list of oedo years for deity ..although I've pretty much memorized them now
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
            I don't use any.Just play by feel and experience.
            I don't use any either. I consult the civopedia from time to time - and even the manual I also have a text file containing the deity OEDO years.

RJM at Sleepers
            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

i've come to appreciate the hutfinder, both for the oedo years as well as for locating specials, and to a lesser extent finding huts. Other than that, I just use the tools that came with the game (Civilopedia with a grain of salt, poster with tech tree and specials etc). I've not gotten Civ manager or the beaker counting program to run properly (usually have to end task) so never used them. I'll try and add up accumulated beakers based on the city to make the last discovery if i'm trying to decide whether to hold off on a delivery or not
              Insert witty phrase here

Comment

i don't use any
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

nope

Comment

About the manual - Nethog's Civ2 Reference Pack is much better and without all those errors.

Now I remembered Boco's combat probability calculator. I use it rarely but it is a good thing.

Originally posted by SCG
                    I've not gotten Civ manager or the beaker counting program to run properly (usually have to end task) so never used them.
                    SCG, come to Civ2 Beakers Counter. I solved the problem there.

Comment

i don't even use oedo years! play it in the raw!
                      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

The only aid I use is a printout of deity OEDO years.

I do have a printout of spaceship configs that I've used a few times.

Nethog's tech tree is useful, but I tend to use the poster that came with the game.

'course, as a Mac user, there are NO software-based cheater tools available to me.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I just dl'ed ST's 'beaker counter' program, and I'm going to give that a try.
                          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

SlowThinker's new and improved version of "beaker counter" is very sweet. And, as this ten thumbed cleric's experience shows, it is very user friendly.

I have a Word file with dumps from various "thinkers;" Oedo yrs and tech sequence table, spaceship config (makes it sound like a Windows command), a table showing the bonus (food, shield, arrow) from building a city on different types of terrain, samson/solo trade discoveries, a table of times for engineer tasks.

I enjoy the brilliant hutfinder that SG[1] is constantly polishing.

The posters that come with the game are used constantly, with the tech tree part at eye level on the wall.

Adding it all up, this player regularly uses many "helpers." The creative output and applied strategy toward this simple game by this extraordinary community is astounding. My thanks to all.

Monk
                            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Normal Task Windows open:
                              1) CIV2 2.4.2 game
                              2) NotePad/WordPad for log (yes I have gone over 64K...)
                              3) CIV2PLAN for next tech planning (love the save file!)
                              4) HutFinder for huts, specials,OEDO years
                              5) Extra NotePad for Terrain Chart, TechPlan,DeliveryBonusRules, etc

Pre/Early game:
                              - CIV2PLAN
                              - HutFinder for Huts, specials, resource seed
                              - MapEditor (blank ocean seeded from HF) to mark multi-special positions for early exploration
                              - NotePad to record strategies, compare tech paths, possible SSC locations, etc
                              - WordPad for TerrainChart & GrandTechPlan

I am VERY slow, even with all the helpers; very much a perfectionist.

Still learning, though...

Comment

Working...
                              X